Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Does that article just stop at the video for everyone else? Is that the whole article? I thought there was supposed to be some talk about battery life ("more on that in a moment")?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Does that article just stop at the video for everyone else? Is that the whole article? I thought there was supposed to be some talk about battery life ("more on that in a moment")?

yeah, it stops at the video for me as well, something is up. it looks unitentionalf because there are no source or comments after the video.

edit: just tried on the engadget app on my iphone and it seems to have fully loaded the review.

Eluzion

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Great review. Completely agreed about the notification system. It absolutely blows, and I'm surprised it hasn't changed (especially for notifications from apps like Meebo).

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I'm very happy and excited about the battery section of the review. Nice. Very nice.

What battery section? That was the section I was looking forward to most along with the camera section (which I'm pleased about).

Great review. Completely agreed about the notification system. It absolutely blows, and I'm surprised it hasn't changed (especially for notifications from apps like Meebo).

I agree. My guess would be that the notification system will be next year's big change.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
What battery section? That was the section I was looking forward to most along with the camera section (which I'm pleased about).

Here.

This is a big one for many people, and we have some fairly surprising news to report. The battery life on the iPhone 4 has been outstanding thus far, exceeding our expectations for longevity during testing. We've only had a short time to use the phone, but in the week or so we've been carrying the device as our main phone, we've had pretty amazing results under normal to heavy use. In fact, we managed to squeeze more than 38 hours -- yes, 38 hours -- of life out of a single charge using the phone as we normally would. We're talking calls, some gaming, lots of push email and calendar invites, playing music over Bluetooth in the car, and just general testing (like downloading new apps, rearranging icons, tweaking settings). We went from 10:30AM on a Saturday morning till 1:00AM on Monday without needing to charge the phone. Of course, it switched itself off just after the clock struck 1, but it was thrilling -- like that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer and the car salesman see how far they can get in a car with the tank on E. Sitcom references aside, the battery life seems markedly improved in the iPhone 4, and why not? It's got a much larger battery coupled with that iPad-powering A4, which has already shown that it can sip rather than gulp power.

Once the rest of the team has their iPhones in hand, we'll do some hardcore battery life testing and see what we come up with, but we think under pretty active use, the iPhone 4 blows Apple's previous generation phone out of the water, and makes a lot of the competition look downright needy.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles

Nope, whole article loads fine for me.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
my my.

I was luke warm about it. This review has warmed me up a bit though.

Now I'm glad they're suppose to deliver it a day early :)

bundu

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Just as expected: another suckfest by Engadget. They would probably praise Steve Jobs' turds if they were given some to review.

Engadget has become nothing but Apple fanboys, it's sad to see.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Just as expected: another suckfest by Engadget. They would probably praise Steve Jobs' turds if they were given some to review.

So I take it your not thrilled about this new phone?

Or is it just Engadget being unreliable?

Appmamma

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
AZ
Nice review... Although the video didn't blow me away :( I think my flip (raw, unedited, just like that) does better :(

Eluzion

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007

While I agree most people on these forums would two-girls-one-cup Mr. Job's turds, I thought the review was legit. What do you not agree with? It covered both the positive and negative aspects. Hardware wise, there's not too much you can complain about with the new iPhone 4 but software wise, I think iOS 4 could definitely had a few additions/improvements that are long overdue (i.e. a notification system that doesn't cause the earth to stop rotating).

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
From the Engadget review:

"...and even a phone like the HTC Droid Incredible -- which just came out -- seems last-generation."

lol-cartoon-ag1.gif

Mark

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
From the Engadget review:

"...and even a phone like the HTC Droid Incredible -- which just came out -- seems last-generation."

lol-cartoon-ag1.gif

Mark

I don't see what's so funny about that. Seems kind of juvenile to me that someone would find that funny.

*shrug*

I guess having choices suck? Umm... yeah I don't get it. :confused:

bahooki

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010

I have a pretty good FANBOY DETECTION ALERT SYSTEM and it goes off on this forum a lot, but Josh never gives me the impression that he's biased in any direction. The only issue I have with his review was the lackluster coverage of what most of us with iPhones agree on is the phones biggest issue - it sucks as a phone. Whereas the Boing Boing reviewer concentrated on that aspect and reported back that the dropped calls persist, Josh kinda gave it short shrift. Otherwise I thought his review was stellar. He ripped Apple for having the absolute worst notification system, and he pointed out that Apple did as little as possible to bring folders to us, which for a company that likes to claim they'll only do something when they can do it the best seems kinda cheap and lazy.

The battery life made me very very happy.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Videos don't work on my iPad, epic fail for the brownosers at engadget, jobs better not move his butt or there are goin to be a lot of broken noses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.