Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dakrhelmet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
California
This is kind of a long story and anyone from ATT or Apple who can help, please read.

Received an iPhone 4 16GB today from Fedex. As you could imagine I was quite excited. i ordered the phone under my wife's account and planned to swap it to mine. This is where the trouble starts.

I didn't plug the phone into itunes. First I called ATT to see what they could do to swap the lines. They weren't sure what to do. Called Apple and they tried to help but said ATT had to do it.

Called ATT back and they tried assigning the IMEI and SIM to my account but it still wanted to activate on my wife's line since the SIM was pre-programmed for her number. This didn't work, but they did manage to kill my SIM in my 3GS.

ATT said I need to go into an ATT store that has some micro-sims. Finally found a store that has them. Went in and they started the process. Here is what they did:

1. Activated iphone 4 under my wife's account. (burned that micro-sim)
2. Got a new micro-sim to setup under my account.

Then it got weird. Apparently the micro-sims they have are for iPad's only and won't work correctly in the iPhone. They did actually activate it using the iPad micro-sim but then they wouldn't let me keep it that way.

So after all that I have an iphone 4 without a SIM and we both are using our 3GS iPhones.

I'm not sure I buy the "iPad only" micro-sim story but they said it was from higher up and there was nothing they could do. The ATT store people were really great and were excited to get the iPhone 4 working but couldn't.

So to everyone who is doing an Upgrade Swap, beware. I'm not sure what the whole truth is but as of now ATT won't activate my iPhone 4 because they don't have any iPhone 4 micro-sims.

Update: After going through all this I decided to cut my 3GS sim into a mciro-sim and plugged it into my iPhone 4. Since it had gone through an activation on the other line it now works with my cut SIM. I'm not sure for how long or how well but I can make calls and it shows the correct info. There still has to be an easier, legitimate way for ATT to do this.

spyda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Interesting, considering they claim to have it all figured out on their site. http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/iphone4upgradesupport.jsp
Thank you for your recent purchase of iPhone 4!

As we prepare to ship devices, we want to make sure that we set your service up the way you want it. Your iPhone 4 has a micro-SIM card that is inside the device. This micro-SIM will be activated to the upgrade eligible phone number that you used to place your order. If that is the same phone number you plan to use with your iPhone 4, you are all set. Just follow the step-by-step activation instructions that arrive with your shipment.

However, if the number you used to order your device is NOT the number you intend to use with your iPhone 4, follow these simple steps when your device arrives and an ATT representative will help you activate.

1. As soon as you receive your new iPhone 4, charge your device fully.
2. Contact AT&T at 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a different wireless device. At the prompt, enter the wireless number that received the upgrade to iPhone 4.
3. At the next prompt, choose option #2 to activate your phone on a different mobile number, and an AT&T representative will help you from there.
4. After speaking with the AT&T representative, you will be instructed to launch iTunes (http://www.itunes.com) and connect your device.

Please call 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a wireless phone if you have further questions. We're here to help ensure you have a great experience with your new device.

iTzChasE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
When you got your iPhone couldn't you just activate it under your number?

When I got my 3Gs It asked for the number and I put in my moms thinking it wanted the main number on the account and before I knew it, It was activated under her number even though I bought it under mine. This time I bought the iPhone 4 under her number hoping I can just activate it under my number. Hope it works. [lol if you understand]

dakrhelmet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
California

iTzChasE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
One ATT Rep did say it could be a problem because they are supposed to have an automated system that will do this, but I'm not sure this is true.

When you plug it into itunes it doesn't let you choose a number to activate it on, it requires activation to the original number from the order.

That really sucks. Hopefully they have it all figured out by tomorrow.

dangsdunks

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
I wonder if it's just easier to cut my existing sim, since im doing an upgrade swap as well.

iTzChasE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
I might try and cut my Sim. ATT is probably going to be A** r**** tomorrow anyways with all the people trying to activate.

dakrhelmet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
California
I wonder if it's just easier to cut my existing sim, since im doing an upgrade swap as well.

I tried this as well. The problem is you need to activate it on the main line before it will even use the cut SIM. Even when I hooked it up with the cut SIM it still wanted to activate on the original line.

Now that I've gotten past the initial activation I may try cutting this new SIM I had to get in the 3GS today.

pshady

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2005
los angeles
If anyone has done the upgrade swap successfully with the iPhone 4, please share your experience so the rest of us can know how to get this done!

Thanks!

iTzChasE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
I tried this as well. The problem is you need to activate it on the main line before it will even use the cut SIM. Even when I hooked it up with the cut SIM it still wanted to activate on the original line.

Now that I've gotten past the initial activation I may try cutting this new SIM I had to get in the 3GS today.

So pretty much I need to call ATT? I can't just put in my cut sim from my 3Gs and Stick it in?

EDIT: Just saw your update. So you didn't try to just use your cut 3Gs sim card from the beginning? Do you think I can somehow get it to work without activating the sim card? If I activate it that means the sim card in my moms phone will stop working, so then we have to go get her a new one. Its really confusing. Hopefully it "JUST WORKS".

dakrhelmet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
California
So pretty much I need to call ATT? I can't just put in my cut sim from my 3Gs and Stick it in?

EDIT: Just saw your update. So you didn't try to just use your cut 3Gs sim card from the beginning? Do you think I can somehow get it to work without activating the sim card? If I activate it that means the sim card in my moms phone will stop working, so then we have to go get her a new one. Its really confusing. Hopefully it "JUST WORKS".

I did originally try my cut sim but it didn't work. It still wanted to activate on the original line. Maybe the process will be different today or tomorrow since it's closer to the real launch day.

I would still plan on activating on the original line, which deactivated their current sim, and then using your cut sim or a functional microsim from ATT.

iTzChasE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
I did originally try my cut sim but it didn't work. It still wanted to activate on the original line. Maybe the process will be different today or tomorrow since it's closer to the real launch day.

I would still plan on activating on the original line, which deactivated their current sim, and then using your cut sim or a functional microsim from ATT.

Yeah, but that would deactivate their sim so that makes it even more troublesome.

Carlos E

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
NYC

Do you mean activate as in "connect to iTunes?" You can connect to itunes and "activate" the phone without a SIM card installed and use it like a iPod touch.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
How would it work if i just bought an iPhone 4 from ebay and didn't have an existing AT&T line (well except gophone)?

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
This is kind of a long story and anyone from ATT or Apple who can help, please read.

Received an iPhone 4 16GB today from Fedex. As you could imagine I was quite excited. i ordered the phone under my wife's account and planned to swap it to mine. This is where the trouble starts.

I didn't plug the phone into itunes. First I called ATT to see what they could do to swap the lines. They weren't sure what to do. Called Apple and they tried to help but said ATT had to do it.

Called ATT back and they tried assigning the IMEI and SIM to my account but it still wanted to activate on my wife's line since the SIM was pre-programmed for her number. This didn't work, but they did manage to kill my SIM in my 3GS.

ATT said I need to go into an ATT store that has some micro-sims. Finally found a store that has them. Went in and they started the process. Here is what they did:

1. Activated iphone 4 under my wife's account. (burned that micro-sim)
2. Got a new micro-sim to setup under my account.

Then it got weird. Apparently the micro-sims they have are for iPad's only and won't work correctly in the iPhone. They did actually activate it using the iPad micro-sim but then they wouldn't let me keep it that way.

So after all that I have an iphone 4 without a SIM and we both are using our 3GS iPhones.

I'm not sure I buy the "iPad only" micro-sim story but they said it was from higher up and there was nothing they could do. The ATT store people were really great and were excited to get the iPhone 4 working but couldn't.

So to everyone who is doing an Upgrade Swap, beware. I'm not sure what the whole truth is but as of now ATT won't activate my iPhone 4 because they don't have any iPhone 4 micro-sims.

Update: After going through all this I decided to cut my 3GS sim into a mciro-sim and plugged it into my iPhone 4. Since it had gone through an activation on the other line it now works with my cut SIM. I'm not sure for how long or how well but I can make calls and it shows the correct info. There still has to be an easier, legitimate way for ATT to do this.

You also need to make sure that you go to a Corporate AT&T store (I don't know if the OP did) and not one of the resellers. Often, they have no idea what they are doing.

dakrhelmet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
California
You also need to make sure that you go to a Corporate AT&T store (I don't know if the OP did) and not one of the resellers. Often, they have no idea what they are doing.

I did go to an ATT Corp store and they tried to make it work.

There are basically two problems.

1. The phone has to be activated on the original line used when the order was placed. We didn't find a way around this. This effectively uses up the included micro-sim.

2. Once it is activated they can then give you a new micro-sim to activate on the new line. The problem is they don't have the micro-sims for iphone 4. They did have mciro-sims and they did seem to work, but they said they are only for the ipad.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
I'm confused...now that the phone has been activated, can't you just put in your cut 3GS sim and be done with it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.