Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Just synced up my iPhone 4 and noticed that, on screens with a white background (i.e., Settings.), there is a decidedly yellow spot on the lower left corner of my screen. It appears circular (about the size of a pencil eraser) but when you rotate the phone sideways, it's more visible as running across the bottom edge of the screen a ways. Anyone else? Also, assuming I wait til the weekend to make a Genius Bar appointment (to avoid the Thursday crush at the store), is Apple likely to have replacement phones on hand this early in the launch?

Thanks,
M

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Pics damnit!

Well, it doesn't show up in screenshots since the defect appears to be in the output screen and (I assume), the screenshot really just snaps the data as presented to the screen. I think I'd need to use an external camera to capture it and, though it is noticeable, I'm not positive a camera would capture it. I guess I'll wait a couple of days to see if "burn-in" or some similar concept will address it. But, you know, one I saw it, I can't UNsee it.

M

EDIT - and I don't have an external camera.

mtj111

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Please god no :(

It put me off buying iMacs for live after that fiasco... please don't let this happen to iphone...

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Just synced up my iPhone 4 and noticed that, on screens with a white background (i.e., Settings.), there is a decidedly yellow spot on the lower left corner of my screen. It appears circular (about the size of a pencil eraser) but when you rotate the phone sideways, it's more visible as running across the bottom edge of the screen a ways. Anyone else? Also, assuming I wait til the weekend to make a Genius Bar appointment (to avoid the Thursday crush at the store), is Apple likely to have replacement phones on hand this early in the launch?

Thanks,
M

I would make it for Thursday just to see the circus from a distance and pick up some accessories :) Sorry about your phone.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Frankly, if it is an issue they'll replace it for you, and until demand calms down at least you still have a fully functional phone.

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
use the front camera in a mirror?

Yeah, that doesn't work so well (but you get an award for quick thinking, as that never would've occurred to me). You just get a shot of the phone taking a picture of the phone - but you need a white background up on the screen to be able to see the yellow spot.

Anyone hazard a guess as to whether Apple will declare there to be no issue until tons of others report the problem? I can't remember what happened in the iMac situation before the point where they publicly acknowledged an issue.

M

rsplatpc

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Well, it doesn't show up in screenshots since the defect appears to be in the output screen and (I assume), the screenshot really just snaps the data as presented to the screen. I think I'd need to use an external camera to capture it and, though it is noticeable, I'm not positive a camera would capture it. I guess I'll wait a couple of days to see if "burn-in" or some similar concept will address it. But, you know, one I saw it, I can't UNsee it.

M

EDIT - and I don't have an external camera.

Everyone I know in the world has a camera, why is it people on forums that make claims NEVER have even a point and shoot?

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Frankly, if it is an issue they'll replace it for you, and until demand calms down at least you still have a fully functional phone.

Agreed. It bothers me, but it's not like the phone is broken or doesn't work. And given the warranty length, it's not something I have to deal with immediately. Apple has always been pretty fair to me in the past with dusty-under-screen issues, etc.

M

iPhonedHome

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Dallas
I know you stated that you do not have an external camera, but do you have a 3GS or other phone you can snap a pic?

I'll let it go after this one.

jojofsu75

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
I had this same problem with a launch day palm pre from sprint. Mine was the screen and I had to wait a while for a replacement.

bahooki

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Please god no :(

It put me off buying iMacs for live after that fiasco... please don't let this happen to iphone...

Agreed. I'll never buy another iMac. Especially after Apples idiotic and heartless handling of the matter.

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I know you stated that you do not have an external camera, but do you have a 3GS or other phone you can snap a pic?

I'll let it go after this one.

This is the best I could do, and you can't see much, because my (now OLD) 3G dims the pictures a bit. So I'm sure people will say I'm just seeing things, but the yellow is pretty pronounced in person.

Sorry for the big pic file sizes. No way to reduce at work.

Attachments

• phone 003.jpg
    phone 003.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,188
  • phone 002.jpg
    phone 002.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,171

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
This is the best I could do, and you can't see much, because my (now OLD) 3G dims the pictures a bit. So I'm sure people will say I'm just seeing things, but the yellow is pretty pronounced in person.

Sorry for the big pic file sizes. No way to reduce at work.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

iMac fiasco all over again :(

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
You are standing under florescent tubes which, depending on color temperature, can easily lend a yellow cast to white surfaces.

Have you tried viewing it under other lighting conditions, like outdoors?

Mark

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Have you tried viewing it under other lighting conditions, like outdoors?

Mark

No, have not. Will at lunch time and report back. But the yellowing is very localized on the screen, just to be clear - it's not that the whole screen looks yellow/has a yellow cast, as it would (I'd expect) if it was merely the effect fo the overhead lights. When I move the menus in Settings, it's easy to see the yellow spot is stationary.

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
And I don't mean to get everyone up in arms. I may just a have the one-in-a-million "bum" unit. It happens. Doesn't mean everyone else here should be worried about the same problem.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.