Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexh614

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
I just got mine in the mail, connected it to iTunes, got my stuff on it, but I have no service since I haven't called ATT to set it up yet. Basically, I have no phone right now to call ATT with as I don't use a home phone and have no one who has a phone I could borrow to call. Is there any other way I could set this up so I can get service? Sorry if this is hard to understand, I'm just confused right now.

litfuel

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
same here, i'm waiting for it to activate, the phone said waiting to activate this may take some time. its been 2 hours here.

sportsnutlr

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
No Service

I also have no service on my new iPhone 4 after activating it online. This of course made my old 3gs a brick as well. Does anyone have an approximate wait time for the service to get activated with ATT?

RBfKC10

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Make sure you guys called to accept the terms of service agreements (it says to do so on the invoices).

God help you if you need to do an upgrade swap. I tried to do it over the phone, and they activated my phone on the number I was going to swap. In other words, instead of swapping it to the number I want to use it on, they activated it on the line that was eligible for the upgrade. Now I have to go in to the AT&T store to fix it anyway.

I am not amused right now. If you're in the same position as me, do yourself a favor and just go in to activate your iPhone.

Nilotec

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Another

I've got another "No Service" iPhone 4 here. It still will not activate. I'm not going to activate online because I don't want to brick my old phone and not have this one working. Not getting any signal is a bit annoying.

Scherf

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
How to solve activation problem

I also suffered from the "no service" problem. I activated the phone with iTunes, and due to system load it told me activation would be delayed, and that I would be notified via email when activation is complete. I got the email confirming activation, but no joy with the phone. Both old and new iPhones were not receiving service.

Got on the phone with ATT customer service, and still no joy. While I waited for them to mess around with my account settings, I rebooted the phone just for laughs. Suddenly I had service. The customer service rep said he didn't actually make any changes, he was still busy investigating. So the reboot had to have done it. D'oh.

So, the trick seems to be that once you have confirmation of activation, just reboot the phone if you don't have service.

mxnut

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Oxnard,CA
I activated my phone online just as the instructions said. My old phone is now disabled and the new phone says no service. I waited two hours and it didn't change so I called the AT&T activation line and after a 45 minute wait I gave up for the night.

This was an upgrade and I looked at every e-mail I received from AT&T and found a new CSS and looked it over good but there is no option to accept it. I have a feeling this may be it but if you can't get to anybody how else can you do it? :confused:

Just a little frustrated.

Thanks,

Jim

omcintyre

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
no service after 1 month's service

I've had my iPhone 4 for a month. It activated with no problems but suddenly yesterday I got a "no service" message. After checking to make sure that other AT&T customers were getting service, I checked the forums here and read the tip about turning it off and back on. The first time, when I just left it off a few seconds, it didn't work, but the second time when I left it off for about 10 minutes, it booted back up and had service. Thanks for the tip!!:)

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
When you activate it online it's not going to happen that instant. Calm down and give it a few minutes. AT&T is transferring service between your two devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.