Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Cydia doesn't seem to work and I tried restoring and itunes is not leting me. I tried downloading the 3.1.3 file and it said its not compatible. I bought this phone yesterday. I'm running 7E18 5.12.01 I think. Any help or suggestions?

I'm trying to unlock by the way so I can use it for Tmobile.

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
Was the phone previously JB or brand new?
When you opened Cydia did it say 'this device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: ...'?
What bootrom (old or new) do you have?

Apple forces 3Gs to check whether you are installing the most recent FW, and is now only allowing 4.0...the SHSH is an apple authentication signature saved on Cydia's servers which tricks iTunes into allowing you to restore to a previous OS. Read this for clarification

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Was the phone previously JB or brand new?
When you opened Cydia did it say 'this device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: ...'?
What bootrom (old or new) do you have?

Apple forces 3Gs to check whether you are installing the most recent FW, and is now only allowing 4.0...the SHSH is an apple authentication signature saved on Cydia's servers which tricks iTunes into allowing you to restore to a previous OS. Read this for clarification

The phone was previously JB by the person I bought the device from. It's not new. It was bought in Jan of 2010. I am running the newest bootrom 359.3.2 I believe. Cydia opens for literally 2 seconds and closes down:(

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
The phone was previously JB by the person I bought the device from. It's not new. It was bought in Jan of 2010. I am running the newest bootrom 359.3.2 I believe. Cydia opens for literally 2 seconds and closes down:(

well hopefully the previous owner chose to save his SHSH...by that date you might only have 3.1.3 SHSH on file.
It's worth editing your hosts file and trying a shift/alt restore to 3.1.3.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New York
well hopefully the previous owner chose to save his SHSH...by that date you might only have 3.1.3 SHSH on file.
It's worth editing your hosts file and trying a shift/alt restore to 3.1.3.

Im not on Ios4. I'm still on 3.1.3 and just want to restore. I'm guessing it works the same way? I don't think there are any shsh's. The guy I bought the phone from paid another person to JB it for him. Chances are, he didn't do any shsh correct?

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
Im not on Ios4. I'm still on 3.1.3 and just want to restore. I'm guessing it works the same way? I don't think there are any shsh's. The guy I bought the phone from paid another person to JB it for him. Chances are, he didn't do any shsh correct?

It works the same way, the method is only for editing the hosts file.
I would hope every person who JB'ed decided to back up their SHSH but i really can't speculate on the probabilities of it having happened in your case.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New York
It works the same way, the method is only for editing the hosts file.
I would hope every person who JB'ed decided to back up their SHSH but i really can't speculate on the probabilities of it having happened in your case.

Perhaps there is no shsh......what are my options? If any......

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Been Working On My 3GS From 7AM This Morning! This Is Plain Insane!

I've been trying to JB abd unlock the 3GS i bought yesterday since 7AM this morning non stop! It is now 5PM:mad:

Cydia was not working when I bought it. Thought it just needed a re JB.....not the case. I downloaded the 3.1.3 file so I can restore....tried jailbreaking with spirit.....tried diskaid......I downloaded ireb or what ever you call it and its not working. Heck.....towards the end....I tried blackrain since i was so frustrated. Been without a phone the whole day and thats not a good look.

Can somebody pm me or help me with this scenario? I currently have 3.1.3 with 5.12.01. I have the new bootrom. I am mentally tired and drained. You guys are my last hope. Otherwise, I would have to sell. Thanks in advanced.

mso4

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
I had 9.1.1 for most of the day, then upgraded to 9.2 because of pwnage. That didnt work. I tried spirit on both itunes 9.1.1 and 9.2

Just got my 3GS 3.1.3 new bootrom to work. I used iTunes 9.1.1 (9.2 does not work with spirit) under windows xp.

Spirit to jb and ultrasn0w to unlock. If you've already upgrade to 9.2, try going back to 9.1.1. I just posted some info on how to do this in the other giant thread.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Just got my 3GS 3.1.3 new bootrom to work. I used iTunes 9.1.1 (9.2 does not work with spirit) under windows xp.

Spirit to jb and ultrasn0w to unlock. If you've already upgrade to 9.2, try going back to 9.1.1. I just posted some info on how to do this in the other giant thread.

I guess it keeps me a little hopeful. I don't own a windows computer:(

I tried spirit on 9.1.1 and was a no go.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New York

Forgive me if this is a senseless question. What am I suppose to do? I have no idea if the previous owner had shsh.....I really never took the time to learn about shsh. Since I figured I was never going to use it:D

When you say spirit 9.1.1 didn't work, did you get some kind of error?

No error. It went through as if everything was smooth. When the phone came back on, i clicked on cydia and it still crashes in the first 2 seconds.

Imsuperjp

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
No error. It went through as if everything was smooth. When the phone came back on, i clicked on cydia and it still crashes in the first 2 seconds.

Cydia crashes or your phone does? If cydia shows up, sounds like the jailbreak did work but you are having a problem with cydia.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Cydia crashes or your phone does? If cydia shows up, sounds like the jailbreak did work but you are having a problem with cydia.

Yes....cydia crashes.....not the phone. Ever since I bought the device yesterday, its been crashing. Never worked once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.