Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
That vid's a pretty good one actually about the whole issue. Seems they're able to reproduce it fairly well.

Coolero

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Web pages won't load if the bottom left edge is pressed up against your palm. Take your hand off and watch page load. Easily reproducible

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
There are tons of threads (and a story on the homepage) about this problem. Please refer to them.

I appreciate keeping things organized, but as far as I can tell this is the first with actual dropped calls demonstrated, not relative bar strength which might not mean anything.

protekt0r

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
I smell a conspiracy here. There's NO WAY the iPhone made it out of testing w/o this issue cropping up. It sounds to me like Apple found a relatively novel way of solving the problem AND making a crapload of money. It's called the Bumper case. Those stupid things probably cost 5c to make and 15c to package.

I cannot possibly conceive how a software update would fix this issue. But a $29 rubber case certainly will.

Neil1138

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Thank you for posting a proper video of this problem. Those shaky cam videos were giving me seizures

Coolero

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Seriously? I hold my phone in my left had too, not cool.

Yup. I grip it with my left hand and do the scrolling/clicking with my thumb. The page loading just hangs everytime until I lift my hand off the lower left edge.

trekkie604

macrumors 68000
Feb 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
This video deserves it's own thread. Very clear illustration of the problem. Wow if this is hardware related and not fixable by software... That isn't good...

markthrash

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Texass
The antennae is on the outside now. So covering it up will mess up the signal. Don't know if that's too smart. I'm assuming that's what the bumpers are being used for.

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
I smell a conspiracy here. There's NO WAY the iPhone made it out of testing w/o this issue cropping up. It sounds to me like Apple found a relatively novel way of solving the problem AND making a crapload of money. It's called the Bumper case. Those stupid things probably cost 5c to make and 15c to package.

I cannot possibly conceive how a software update would fix this issue. But a $29 rubber case certainly will.

I absolutely agree. It's a good thing I like the bumper case and will be getting mine tomorrow.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
FWIW, in another video I held the phone with heavy duty chemical rubber gloves. I still lost signal, although didn't actually try to talk on the phone wearing them. I'd think that would be as good if not better than any rubber case.

So... I wouldn't hold out hope for the Bumpers. Something weird is going on... I just hope there's only a small-ish batch of bad phones out there and not something bigger.

chylld

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
mike, as has been previously said, well done on the video. very clear and easy to understand and didn't give me motion sickness :)

MACis122

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
if apple made this so we would buy the bumpers we should be recieving bumpers for free with this phone

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Yeah my iPhone 4 is routinely searching for signal when I hold it. This is a huge disaster for Apple. They are going to be replacing a lot of phones.

bahooki

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Thanks Mike! You nailed it perfectly. Now I can at least make some calls if I hold the phone in my right hand and avoid touching the lower left side with my fingers.

This kinda backs up what Walt Mossberg noticed, but allowed himself to be squelched by Apple who claimed it was no big deal. Its in fact a very big deal.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
[GASP]

OMG. That and the signal difference is appalling. What the hell happened to improved signal strength, Steve?! I think his inbox might just explode tomorrow!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.