Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoreyMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I had major yellow spots on the bottom corners of the iPhone 4 this morning when I received it (as shown in the other thread) and as of right now they have COMPLETELY faded away. I have no idea what caused this but it happened. So keep an eye on it over the next day or so if you have the issue.

Tonezorz

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2007
I'm thinking they're heat related.

Mine were much brighter earlier, as it was mid day and a bit warm in my house.

Now that things have cooled down, they're still there but much less visible.

CoreyMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
It just seemed like the more I used the phone today the more it faded. It's really odd but I'll take it

artofdesign

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
I'm thinking they're heat related.

Mine were much brighter earlier, as it was mid day and a bit warm in my house.

Now that things have cooled down, they're still there but much less visible.

Could be true, mine are less noticeable now too. but very bright after back-up restore. regardless, that is very bad quality. i never jumped all over apple for the other issue(hairline cracks on 3g, etc) but this one really does bother me.

jdwebby

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, you might have gotten some that were fresh off the factory floor since they were mailed to you straight from HK. The glue was curing.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Damn.... There goes my excuse to trade for a white one.

FYI - I had an issue with my 3G when I got it and they would only replace it with one of the same color. I tried, they refused and said it was "policy". So for those thinking a screen issues is their ticket to a white phone, think again.

phoneorpda

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2005
All around the world.
It comes back regularly, here and it's definitely a heat issue: if I leave the phone alone and let it cool down then the yellow spot disappears.
However it comes back after using the iPhone for a bit.

TaylorBoi

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Did u guys see these yellow spots immediately when u turned the iphone on? or did they appear after a while? I see absolutely no problems with my iphone 4......so far

Dizparks

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2010
I had major yellow spots on the bottom corners of the iPhone 4 this morning when I received it (as shown in the other thread) and as of right now they have COMPLETELY faded away. I have no idea what caused this but it happened. So keep an eye on it over the next day or so if you have the issue.

Same with mine, it was really visible when I first turned it on. After a days use it's gone.

mckandy

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2007
Chicago, IL
My yellow spots have faded significantly since yesterday too. I have to kind of look for them to notice them now. I'll test throughout the day today to see if it gets worse as it gets hotter.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
We picked up 3 32GB iPhone 4s this morning @ the Natick store and none of them have yellow spots on the display.

sjw

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Well as someone quoted in this thread on pg 17 https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10305153 :

The yellow blotches will disappear
Apple is using a bonding agent called Organofunctional Silane Z-6011 to bond the layers of glass. Apparently, Apple (or more likely Foxconn) is shipping these products so quickly that the evaporation process is not complete. However, after one or two days of use, especially with the screen on, will complete the evaporation process and the yellow "blotches" will disappear.

How do I know? I was involved in pitching Z-6011 to Apple.

Which itself comes from http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=122

I was going to go back to the Apple store this evening and ask to replace it but if it's going to clear up in a day or two it's no issue at all.. and it wont be consigning a perfectly good phone to the scrap heap! I might wait a couple of days..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.