Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
Hi,

Just wanted to share my experience. In May I sold my 2.66 GHz Core2Duo Macbook Pro and bought a 2.53 GHz Core i5, but was pretty unimpressed by the new laptop's perfomance on the Mac OS X side (Windows 7 gaming was much faster). There were no noticeable perfomance gains, even after running Onyx.

The laptop was much snappier after I bought and ran CleanMyMac on Sunday, though. Even Safari 5 doesn't really hang anymore. Yay CleanMyMac! Has anyone had the same experience?

roliath

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2009
dallas
I didn't mean that my laptop was slow, just that it got faster after running CleanMyMac and removing universal binaries, language files, etc.

As in you've tried it and it didn't work for you?

Is it safe to remove the universal binaries?

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
You sound like an ad for the company.

I won CleanMyMAc and I found it very slightly helped older machines that have been through upgrade cycles. i.e. my 2008 iMac that was Tiger, then leopard and now Snow LEopard. It saved me some disk space and cleaned out the old files. Was it faster? Nope. Did it rum smoother, slightly.

On a new Mac, there are few files to clutter up, IMO.

As for Universal Binaries, other than first load, my underrstanding is that is the only time an app is checked and it rememebrs which code to use after that.

For the cost, and considering there are numerous free or cheaper utilities that do most of the same functions, it just doen't make sense. But I got suckered into buying it anyhow.

Apparently yes (if you use CleanMyMac to do it). Other apps like Firefox, etc., are now much faster.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
You sound like an ad for the company.

I won CleanMyMAc and I found it very slightly helped older machines that have been through upgrade cycles. i.e. my 2008 iMac that was Tiger, then leopard and now Snow LEopard. It saved me some disk space and cleaned out the old files. Was it faster? Nope. Did it rum smoother, slightly.

On a new Mac, there are few files to clutter up, IMO.

As for Universal Binaries, other than first load, my underrstanding is that is the only time an app is checked and it rememebrs which code to use after that.

For the cost, and considering there are numerous free or cheaper utilities that do most of the same functions, it just doen't make sense. But I got suckered into buying it anyhow.

I certainly hope I don't sound like an ad, I really just like it. What version do you have? I had a previous version that didn't really change anything, but the latest version makes things pretty snappy.

Maybe it was the combination of CleanMyMac, Onyx and 10.6.4 that made my Mac faster, but everythings just works so well now. Mind you, I have the core i5, so my Mac's already pretty fast, but it just got faster with CleanMyMac.

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2003
Now, I'm not saying you're seeing a placebo effect, but...

Removing the unused part of universal binaries and unused language files will in no way improve the speed of your computer. You'll get more disk space, granted, but unused resources are just that - unused. It's not like all of the language files and the entire universal binary is loaded into memory when the application is launched - the system chooses the right resources at load time and only loads those ones.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
Now, I'm not saying you're seeing a placebo effect, but...

Removing the unused part of universal binaries and unused language files will in no way improve the speed of your computer. You'll get more disk space, granted, but unused resources are just that - unused. It's not like all of the language files and the entire universal binary is loaded into memory when the application is launched - the system chooses the right resources at load time and only loads those ones.

Hmm, I'm going to disagree. First, the space freed up from languages and leftovers from uninstalled apps does improve performance because more free space means more VM, of which Macs use quite a lot.

Also, system preferences, startup items, etc., that apps leave behind also slow down performance and CleanMyMac, Onyx, etc., help remove them.

You're right that OS X checks universal binaries when an app starts and selects either Intel or PowerPC code according to the system, but this process leads to slower app startup times and sometimes noticeable performance lags.

So yes, CleanMyMac, Onyx, XSlimmer and other apps that clean up leftover apps, slim universal binaries and otherwise tune up your Mac do help.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Hmm, I'm going to disagree. First, the space freed up from languages and leftovers from uninstalled apps does improve performance because more free space means more VM, of which Macs use quite a lot.
VM? You mean swap space, virtual memory? On a new Mac, there should be plenty of room on the disk regardless. The amount of swap used depends on what you are doing so its different for each user.

Also, system preferences, startup items, etc., that apps leave behind also slow down performance and CleanMyMac, Onyx, etc., help remove them.
These are relatively small and inconsequential.
You're right that OS X checks universal binaries when an app starts and selects either Intel or PowerPC code according to the system, but this process leads to slower app startup times and sometimes noticeable performance lags.
Only the first time an app is started. After that there is no measurable difference.
So yes, CleanMyMac, Onyx, XSlimmer and other apps that clean up leftover apps, slim universal binaries and otherwise tune up your Mac do help.
YMMV.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're needing more disk space for paging, it's because you don't have enough RAM. Excessive paging limits performance, as the system is restricted by hard drive speed. Adding RAM, rather than disk space, will improve performance for systems with excessive paging.
Startup items can easily be added/removed in System Preferences. As for files/folders left behind from other apps, again you only gain disk space, not performance. Those files/folders are dead, just taking up drive space. They have zero impact on performance. In addition, I suspect CleanMyMac isn't removing all the files/folders left behind by removed apps, since apps such as AppCleaner and AppZapper don't even remove everything.

I've removed extra languages and PPC architectures with Monolingual and gained some disk space, but again, that has zero impact on performance or startup time.

nszzya

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
It would be nice to see some objective data for the speed gains like a pre- and post- geekbench score.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
It would be nice to see some objective data for the speed gains like a pre- and post- geekbench score.

Yes, please. It seems like everyone, including myself, is just posting their idea of how it should work, without any kind of hard evidence.

Does anyone know where can we get this data?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Yes, please. It seems like everyone, including myself, is just posting their idea of how it should work, without any kind of hard evidence.

Does anyone know where can we get this data?

Geekbench is something you can install yourself and run, though it's a bit late since you've already run CleanMyMac so you have no baseline to compare against.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.