Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boxerchip

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
VA
I was looking at getting an extra 2 GB of ram for my G5, i was loooking at the differeent brands of ram and everything and found this.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewprodu...-146-992&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=System+Memory

Ive never really heard of the brand or anything but im guessing it would be better for my G5 seing as its made for G5s.

anyone have any reccomendations or anything about this ram or other really good ram?

iSaint

macrumors 603
Most people I know, and most on this forum would recommend Crucial I ordered a 512 stick for my iBook from Kahlon but sent it back the other day because it was only reading 256k of the total memory. Who knows what the problem is, or was, or if the replacement stick will work. If not, I'm going to Crucial.

boxerchip

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
VA
thats what ive seen... but ive always been a HUGE fan of corsair.... Just thiking of lateny times and all what is the best performance becuase i know corsair ram has better times than a mac can even do.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Crucial.com has been raising the price of their G5 spec RAM dramatically for the past week. If you need to get some Crucial RAM, get it from newegg.com, they're still cheap. Same spec as ones from Crucial.com.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
virividox said:
as long as the website says its for a certain model...

The memory linked to in my post doesn't list any computers it is compatible with. I think it is RAM that works in all the iMac G5s, but if someone can confirm that for me, that would be great.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Newegg.com's Crucial PC3200 CAS 3, 256MB and 512MB, sticks are single sided and are identical to what's in the G5. The G5 Dual 2.0G I bought yesterday has 2 sticks of Crucial/Micron, but w/o the Crucial sticker.

G5 PM and G5 iMac use the same memory.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
FuzzyBallz said:
Newegg.com's Crucial PC3200 CAS 3, 256MB and 512MB, sticks are single sided and are identical to what's in the G5. The G5 Dual 2.0G I bought yesterday has 2 sticks of Crucial/Micron, but w/o the Crucial sticker.

G5 PM and G5 iMac use the same memory.

So based on what you say, if I get the iMac with 1-512MB stick from Apple and add the stick you reference above, I'll get a 128 bit memory bus as reference in this thread?

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1029654#post1029654

KeareB

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2003
rdowns said:
So based on what you say, if I get the iMac with 1-512MB stick from Apple and add the stick you reference above, I'll get a 128 bit memory bus as reference in this thread?

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1029654#post1029654

Yup.

But, if you want to take it one step further, I don't think we yet know what the CAS latency is on the stock Apple RAM for the iMacs. Best guesses are CL-3. People surmise that even if latency is mismatched, but size is matched, that you will still get a dual memory bus. But we might need to wait and see.

boxerchip

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
VA
ok so im thinking 2 gigs of crucial balstix (512x4) this seems to be the best idea at the time from what you all are saying.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
I know some people don't care what kinda memory they buy as long as it work. But here's the thing, G5 uses Crucial memory. You can either go w/ Crucial.com @ 512MB for $99, or w/ Newegg.com @ 512MB for $86 for the exact RAM. I repeat, identical. Both offer free FedEx Air shipping. I bought a pair of 512MB from Newegg.com.

Never heard of OWC (aka, MacSales.com), who sells generic brand "G5 compatible" 512MB RAM for $90. Free shipping is done by UPS Ground if your order is $149 and up. But they also have a very interesting catch. "Get UPS 2nd Day for $5 or less on any order less than 10 lbs." I wonder why they need 2 names for one company?

@rdowns
Yes, it'lll work. It's pretty obvious the G5 iMac is using the same kind of memory as G5 PM, so if the memory works for a PM, it'll work for the iMac.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
FuzzyBallz said:
I know some people don't care what kinda memory they buy as long as it work. But here's the thing, G5 uses Crucial memory. You can either go w/ Crucial.com @ 512MB for $99, or w/ Newegg.com @ 512MB for $86 for the exact RAM. I repeat, identical. Both offer free FedEx Air shipping. I bought a pair of 512MB from Newegg.com.

Never heard of OWC (aka, MacSales.com), who sells generic brand "G5 compatible" 512MB RAM for $90. Free shipping is done by UPS Ground if your order is $149 and up. But they also have a very interesting catch. "Get UPS 2nd Day for $5 or less on any order less than 10 lbs." I wonder why they need 2 names for one company?

@rdowns
Yes, it'lll work. It's pretty obvious the G5 iMac is using the same kind of memory as G5 PM, so if the memory works for a PM, it'll work for the iMac.

All I can say is that OWC got me the same Samsung memory as Apple for my PB 12" for less than Crucial.

I point out OWC because there are many of us that have been happy with OWC and their prices and support. Also there are those of us that have been burnt by Micron. Also depending on the browser (other threads here recently), the prices vary according the browser you go through with Crucial.

For that reason if OWC were to leave tomorrow, I would rather take my chances with other third party RAM.

davey-nb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NORTH America
iMac G5 and RAM

From MacBidouille today:

The iMacG5 has 2 memory slots. But contrary to the PMG5, it is possible to install 1 or 2 DDR modules of different size. But in this case, the memory bus will be working only in 64 bits mode. Only if both DDR modules are identical, that it will work as 128 bits mode. In other words, performance of your iMacG5 will be dramatically impacted if you do not install 2 identical DDR modules.
Warning, identical DDR modules imply both same size (i.e. 256, 512 1024 MB) and same specs (i.e. latency).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.