Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterlobl

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Philadelphia
How many people were in line at KOP?

reserve line i got into at 630 was only 20 deep but swelked to over 75 by time i left.. "other" line was easily double that- perhaps much more outside.. apple team were using 10:1 for allowing in non-reservists..

i think i got lucky by catching the opening of riteaid entrance at 630 as guard said they would send me outside when i got to apple store..that didnt happen, i just showed my email printout of reservation and got in the queue..

i feel why upper classes don't mind nor want to relinquish their special status.. felt rather unfair to mesomehow, but i got in and out happily all the same, corrupt me!

good luck!

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
**** no.... Why would you think that? Perhaps next time you should pre-order and then have it shipped to your house!!! I'd rather wait 1.5 hours at my house instead of in front of Apple store!

Have you forgotten that many many posters tried to do just that and couldn't get through the screwed up servers? :rolleyes:

aaarrrgggh

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Line around the Mall

Was supposed to pick up mine in the Manhattan Beach, CA store. The line ran around 2 sides of Macy's, looped through the parking lot, and headed down the hill to the golf course. For the original launch, they just made it to two sides of Macy's...

That put me off of picking mine up. I don't have time for that kind of BS... first time maybe, but not any more. Cursing Apple's ordering system... Maybe tonight...

Trager

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
Reserved line at irvine spectrum is ridiculous. Several hundred people deep and no perceptible monument at all. I can't imagine they'll have any for the walk-in line.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
Have you forgotten that many many posters tried to do just that and couldn't get through the screwed up servers? :rolleyes:

I know, it annoys me SO MUCH when people comment on why didn't someone JUST PRE-ORDER to ship home. UMMM yeahhhh, for like 8 hours we tried jerkos. I'm happy i ended up with the reserve. It was completely stress free for me. No waiting for fed ex/ups. Never know when they come to my home. I've waisted entire days waiting for shipments. With my reserve, i got there early and was out early. I couldn't believe the lines. I've never seen anything like it.

FASE

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
Our Mall Security While we wait in line

This guy was a real piece of work screaming and yelling and barking orders. So I thought I would make him famous!

Attachments

• Blart.jpg
    Blart.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 114

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
The line in Grand Rapids, MI shocked me. Lots of people! Bigger than I expected. I was next to an older gentlemen (age 65-70ish) who's been at each launch at this same store. He said there were at least twice as many people there than any of the previous launches.

I expected that in the US, when/if the iPhone went multi-carrier, it would explode in popularity. Seems though that it already has.

thejakill

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
I feel bad for anyone who wasn't able to get one, since they won't be selling any more after today.

mk_in_mke

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
News From Milwaukee

I arrived at 6:11 AM CST at the Bayshore Mall Apple Store... There were two lines: Reserved / Purchases... I reserved mine and i was the 20th person in line... They were close to 250 / 300 people lined up in the Purchase line... Apple employees distributed coffee and water, nice atmosphere...

At 6:45 AM CST the line for reserved was close to 130 / 160 people, the line for purchase was even longer from when I arrived! Unbelievable

The store opened at 7:00 AM CST and they were letting 15 people in with reservation and a couple people in for purchases (priority about 15:1 for reservations!)... I entered at 7:20 AM in the store, left at 7:35 AM with phone activated, contact updated, email set...

Overall a great experience...

99-Turbo

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Minneapolis
Minneapolis - Southdale Apple Store. Starting waiting about about 5:45 am, got out the door at 9:30 am. There were several hundred in front of me, and more than that behind when I got out. The in-store process was quick and easy, 10 minutes tops.

There seemed to be an equal number of people in the walk-in line as there were in the reserved line. I'd bet most of the walk-ins are going to end up empty-handed.

Here are some pictures - there was an equally long line to get in on the other side of the mall.

Front of the line at 6:30 am:

iPhone-4-launch-Southdale1.jpg

Middle of the line:

iPhone-4-launch-Southdale2.jpg

Back of the line:

iPhone-4-launch-Southdale3.jpg

Line inside the mall at 7:15 or so -- there were an equally large number of people behind me, too.

iPhone-4-launch-Southdale4.jpg

Line looking back from the entrance to the Apple Store at about 9:15 am:

iPhone-4-launch-Southdale5.jpg

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
I arrived at 6:11 AM CST at the Bayshore Mall Apple Store... There were two lines: Reserved / Purchases... I reserved mine and i was the 20th person in line... They were close to 250 / 300 people lined up in the Purchase line... Apple employees distributed coffee and water, nice atmosphere...

At 6:45 AM CST the line for reserved was close to 130 / 160 people, the line for purchase was even longer from when I arrived! Unbelievable

The store opened at 7:00 AM CST and they were letting 15 people in with reservation and a couple people in for purchases (priority about 15:1 for reservations!)... I entered at 7:20 AM in the store, left at 7:35 AM with phone activated, contact updated, email set...

Overall a great experience...

Ours also gave us water (Smart Water) and coffee (Starbucks) as well as Cliff Bars. Very friendly atmosphere! If I were to guess, I would say there were probably about 600 people waiting, 125ish reserved, the rest walk-ins.

ILikeTurtles

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Picture the chaos when all these people get home from the store and find out they can't hold the phone in their left hand. Oh boy!

IronHorse

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Long Lines

Here is part of the line outside the Apple Store Bridgeport Village in Tigard, Oregon

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 83
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 69

knatsch

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I went to Regent Street at 1pm and was told to expect a 3-4 hour wait in the reserved queue.

I'll try again after work, but if it's as long I'll wait or consider buying online. As much as I want one of these, I'm not standing in a bloody line for 4 hours for a phone.

Keep us posted once you get there :)

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
I reserved mine and am waiting in the line for 30 minutes. There are +300 peoples in front of me. I wanted to preorder but could not select it because of server errors on June 15. I have a FAN number.

Gulo

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I stopped by the University District store in Seattle this morning and was like W.T.F. I have a reservation, but there's no way I'm going to wait in a line 100's of people long. I've got work (what the hell do people do that they can wait so long) and only got a few hours of sleep last night as it is.

My questions are thus: does it thin out later say early lunchtime or after work at 4pm? If I don't wait in line at the start, are the reservations going to run out because they're selling to the no res. people? I'm just trying to gauge whether I should just say eff it to the new iPhone and skip all this stupid Beatlemania. That would be especially disappointing because I'm going on a (rare) vacation soon and the new phone would have been wonderful. My 3G is really falling apart (the headphones don't even work anymore). *sigh*

clight3521

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
Got Mine Wednesday

AT&T rep called me last night and I was able to pick it up in-store (no wait!), activate and start enjoying the gorgeous new hardware. absolutely love it! sorry to everyone else who's stuck in line or has to wait a few more weeks...

hermes369

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2003
South
Augusta, GA here.

The problem here is the time it takes to walk people through the activation process. The store folks are unwilling to separate the line into current AT&T customers with iPhones. This line would move much more quickly were that the case. It's averaging about 12 minutes per customer and apparently the AT&T folks are about to take a break.

Breathing deeply.

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
I stopped by the University District store in Seattle this morning and was like W.T.F. I have a reservation, but there's no way I'm going to wait in a line 100's of people long. I've got work (what the hell do people do that they can wait so long) and only got a few hours of sleep last night as it is.

My questions are thus: does it thin out later say early lunchtime or after work at 4pm? If I don't wait in line at the start, are the reservations going to run out because they're selling to the no res. people? I'm just trying to gauge whether I should just say eff it to the new iPhone and skip all this stupid Beatlemania. That would be especially disappointing because I'm going on a (rare) vacation soon and the new phone would have been wonderful. My 3G is really falling apart (the headphones don't even work anymore). *sigh*

They will not sell the "reservation" phones to people without reservations until tomorrow. You can go back anytime today. The lines are sure to thin out as the day goes on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.