Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowman3459

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I have tested this now and it seems to do it every time.

When I send a picture to my email it also turns sideways even sending different sized images.

Also, when sending pictures messages my girlfriend confirmed the pictures are sideways every time. I also tried rotating the picture myself using Photogene but it is still being sent sideways.

iOS4 issue?

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Do you have your screen rotation locked to portrait? Try unlocking it, taking the picture again, then sending it.

See what happens.

phr34k

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
Atlanta
Happened to me this morning no matter what size I selected to email. You're not the only one bro. Oh and my orientation was unlocked, cuz i just figured out how to lock it.lol

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I have tested this now and it seems to do it every time.

When I send a picture to my email it also turns sideways even sending different sized images.

Also, when sending pictures messages my girlfriend confirmed the pictures are sideways every time. I also tried rotating the picture myself using Photogene but it is still being sent sideways.

iOS4 issue?

Yeah, it's happening to many people, there was a thread posted earlier today about this same issue, the thread is probably bumped down a few pages by now, but I'd venture to say it's happening to everyone..

Snowman3459

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Do you have your screen rotation locked to portrait? Try unlocking it, taking the picture again, then sending it.

See what happens.

Nope no lock.

I just sent another picture and she said it was straight, but this time I used the HD camera instead of the front facing VGA.

There might be an issue with the VGA camera.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Hmmm....

Well, if it's not something obvious, then it's probably a software bug. We'll probably have an update in a few weeks at the latest that will fix some of these early issues.

Snowman3459

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Can anyone test there VGA and HD cameras to see if BOTH send sideways?

Here's my experience:

HD Camera- Sends sideways to email, but is straight when using MMS

VGA- Have not tested email, but sends sideways through MMS.

Update: VGA is sending straight via email

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Can anyone test there VGA and HD cameras to see if BOTH send sideways?

Here's my experience:

HD Camera- Sends sideways to email, but is straight when using MMS

VGA- Have not tested email, but sends sideways through MMS.

Update: VGA is sending straight via email

I used the HD camera sent it to my gmail account, in the email the preview of the picture was straight. But when I clicked on "view" that's when it shifted sideways. If you click on "download" and download the photo it also comes out straight...

Snowman3459

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I used the HD camera sent it to my gmail account, in the email the preview of the picture was straight. But when I clicked on "view" that's when it shifted sideways. If you click on "download" and download the photo it also comes out straight...

Same. I just sent another and when viewing the picture, it was in fact sideways.

matt15f

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
I am having this issue when copying the photos off of the phone onto the pc. My videos even came out sideways.

kriskoeller

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Sideways Pictures

Hi, I took a bunch of photos with my iPhone 3G running iOS4 and subsequently posted them on my blog. When viewed on my iPhone 3G, my iPhone 4 and my iPad, they appear correctly oriented.

However, when viewed on a Mac or PC, on either Firefox or Safari, they are sideways.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
FYI, when taking pics / videos it doesn't matter if orientation lock is on.
When you put it on it's side it will respond appropriately

I don't know what it could be. Submit feedback to apple

jyj

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
i just forwarded an e-mail that i received with a picture in it to a friend. when i got a reply from her, the photo came back sideways...even though it was straight in the original email.

j3w3ly

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
This happened to me as well. I took pics of my 3G to sell online, and all the pictures came out sideways. You could just rotate them, but it's a hassle to have that extra step.

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
This happens to me too.

This is a stretch but has ANYONE tried restoring the iPhone4 to the ios4 thats on Apples website? Is it a possibility that the iOS4 that was put on the phone pre-shipping has some of these quirks (antenna, proximity etc)???? Its a crap shoot but just throwing it out there if someone is willing to try.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
This happens to me too.

This is a stretch but has ANYONE tried restoring the iPhone4 to the ios4 thats on Apples website? Is it a possibility that the iOS4 that was put on the phone pre-shipping has some of these quirks (antenna, proximity etc)???? Its a crap shoot but just throwing it out there if someone is willing to try.

I did a restore yesterday hoping it would fix my battery issue, pictures still are sideways.. not sure what's going on, but the joys of using the phone are beginning to turn sour..

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
Thought it was just me doing something wrong. But when I mms to non iPhone users they tell me it's sideways. When copying to my pc I noticed they were sideways also

Uploading to sites they come out fine though

dunk50

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
e-mailed a photo to wife, she asked why I sent it sideways?? Why did I?? Screen lock is not on!

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I took two photos using my iPhone 4 of a 3GS that I am selling. I emailed them to my computer from my iPhone. One of them did this very same thing.

True that every OS version ever released has had some weird bug so this should be expected. I remember when photos saved from the net would be too grainy to even look at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.