Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

findnemo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Wow using two iphones on same network, in the same house with full 5 bars - takes 2 min before connecting and the quality is beyond crap.

It's like going on youtube on 3G.......this is pretty disappointing.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Wow using two iphones on same network, in the same house with full 5 bars - takes 2 min before connecting and the quality is beyond crap.

It's like going on youtube on 3G.......this is pretty disappointing.

Wow indeed. I did one from Los Angeles to Boston and it was flawless. Crystal clear.

Jemi9OD

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
Durham, NC
Worked great for me too. Facetime doesn't use cell bars, it uses wifi. Did you both have good wifi connections?

findnemo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Hum. This is really weird. Full wifi signal......nothing blocking the cameras.....

I'll have to try it from one network to another then. Must be something wrong with my network.

Icarus73

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2007
video in iChat works HORRIBLE for two computers on the same wifi connection. I'm guessing facetime is the same.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Hum. This is really weird. Full wifi signal......nothing blocking the cameras.....

I'll have to try it from one network to another then. Must be something wrong with my network.

Maybe your router was experiencing heavy traffic, and latency times were a bit kank?

findnemo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
That's gotta be it then. So many people on here with no facetime problems so far so I guess it doesn't like to be on the same network.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
That's gotta be it then. So many people on here with no facetime problems so far so I guess it doesn't like to be on the same network.

That's not it. I just spent half an hour playing around with it with 2 iPhones on the same network here at home. Crystal clear with no problems.

myfoneisdank

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
ive been trying it all day with one specific friend both on good wifi connections and it was so choppy each time that the call disconnected. we never were able to actually use it.

we also were not on the same connection. could this just be one of our phones?

the rest of the features are insane though. GREAT phone

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
My parents tried FaceTime last night on their wi-fi network and had the same problem. But today I called my dad and did FaceTime, and it worked.

Jemi9OD

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
Durham, NC
It's definitely *not* an issue about being on the same network. We have used FaceTime here on the same network with no issues at all.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I just finished a video chat with my friends and it worked flawlessly. It must be one of your connections.

milerich

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Did one earlier this evening from AZ to PA without any clarity issues. Actually showed my daughter learning to walk with rear camera and my friend said it looked great on her end.

Only issue was that when she received a call (but didn't take it) it disconnected FaceTime??

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
I did Florida to Colorado several times without issue. Calls clear with only one 1/10 second glitch during one call. I think this is freakin awesome and can't wait for a Jailbreak for i-4..... 3g unrestrictor FTW! Face time 3g style :D

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
I tried wifi between 2 phones on same wifi network and it sucked

2 phones on different wifi works great

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
We just tried facetime here. worked flawlessly. kid on the other end kept putting his ass on the camera. I wished it was a pixelated mess at that point haha.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Full wifi signal means nothing if you have a slow download/upload connection or other stuff like laptops also connected to the same wifi and downloading or connected online.
On my 25MBDown/15MBUP Fios connection Wifi it was crystal clear BTW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.