Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jameschoun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
It seems as though my wifi connection keeps dropping... It does not indicate I have a wifi connection on the top status bar but it does in the settings... Speeds are as if I'm on the cellular network...

Anyone else experiencing this?

Any ideas for fixes? I've already tried toggling airplane mode, wifi on/of, powering up and turning of completely the phone...

thanks

brdnboy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
Same issue. Wifi networks show up in settings and look connected (blue vs black, with checkmark) but no indication in the status bar and no ip address for wifi.

jameschoun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Seems to work fine on other networks. Worked at my gym and the hospital. I believe they are 802.11g. At home I've got a dual band time capsule. Another issue is that it seems to boot my MacBook pro off of the network as well... Hopefully apple will have a software update soon, which is what I'm guessing the issue is

andyeb

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
I'm seeing similar - wifi dropping in and out and sometimes running a glacial speeds while everything else on the network (2x macs, iPad, iPod Touch, iPhone 3GS) all carry on working absolutely fine.

Doing a soft reset seems to fix it for a while, then the problem comes back after a while. I wonder if it's a fault with power management? I hope Apple can fix it in a software update.

So far my experience of the iPhone has been best with Wi-Fi disabled and running on the rather congested O2 network. This should not be the case!

JRock

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
This is the only problem I'm having with my iPhone 4 - just as the OP described. I have an Airport Extreme (802.11 a/b/g/n but not dual band). In "Settings" (on the phone), it connects to my network and shows it at full signal strength, but keeps the EDGE icon at the top of the screen, and doing SpeedTest or loading a page in Safari is obviously not using WiFi.
I've tried other WiFi networks (the neighbor's unsecured one) and those worked. I've also tried what I could with the Airport Extreme - 802.11N "2.4Ghz only" mode, b/g compatibility mode, no luck. Never had a problem with my 3GS like this. I'm really hoping for a speedy fix here...

graveydellic

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I have the same issue. Works everywhere but my own house now, quite odd. Says I have a full connection, but no status bar change and data doesn't come in any faster.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I connect just fine to the access point in my house, it gets a IP, but no data goes through it. It will work fine, then ill not use the phone for a bit and then wham.. nothing.. no wifi data but the connection is still there with a signal...

My iPad and MBP connect fine to my access point, as do other devices. This is rather annoying.

jameschoun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
glad I'm not the only one experiencing this... Are you guys gonna bring it in for an exchange when available? Or wait for a software update?

Only two problems with my iPhone, this wifi issue & the whole don't touch the bottom left or your cell signal will die thing....

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
glad I'm not the only one experiencing this... Are you guys gonna bring it in for an exchange when available? Or wait for a software update?

Only two problems with my iPhone, this wifi issue & the whole don't touch the bottom left or your cell signal will die thing....

I think this is a software thing, I'm not entirely sure replacing it will fix the issue. Apple is scheduled to call me tomorrow about this issue, I'll see what they have to say about it.

It's rather strange, its working fine now, blazingly fast on my fiber connection.. But at times it just wont pass data even though it has a IP and is full signal strength connected to the access point.

iPhoneVic

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
I too

Had the same problem today with my i4.
But also my wifes iphone 3G on 3.1.2 was acting the same.
Restarted the wireless router and everything worked fine again.

Unplugged my router for 30 seconds plugged it back in and bingo...all set.

andyeb

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
I tried rebooting my router but that didn't help. My iPhone 4 is going through brief periods of working at near full performance on Wi-Fi - just after resetting networking settings, after a reboot or restore. But then within a matter of minutes it goes back to working really, really slowly.

I think it's got to be a software issue.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Unplugged my router for 30 seconds plugged it back in and bingo...all set.

Thank you, thank you very much:D

I tried rebooting my router but that didn't help. My iPhone 4 is going through brief periods of working at near full performance on Wi-Fi - just after resetting networking settings, after a reboot or restore. But then within a matter of minutes it goes back to working really, really slowly.

I think it's got to be a software issue.

Try it on other wifi's also to make sure its not the routers fault and really indeed your wifi chip on the iphone 4 is acting up.

myfoneisdank

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
have had this issue with my 3g, 3gs, and 4

every time i have to unplug the router for 20 seconds and plug her back in. kind of annoying but ive gotten used to it. no big deal. it last for a few days

jp3848

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
Possible solution to iPhone 4 wifi issue

I was having a similar problem. My iPhone 4 WiFi signal was excellent, but the download test on the "speedtest.net app" was less than 1mbps (if anything). The Apple technician suggested I switch my Wifi security mode from WEP to WPA2. This solved my issue, I'm now registering between 3 and 5 mbps on the download speed test.

xela24678

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
i know this is a thread about wifi but i have a problem with wifi and 3G. Same for me on the wifi. But on the 3G, it is supposed to be fast right, WRONG! i am connected to AT&T, and with the speedtest app, it says that my 3G speed is barely at 1 Mbps. What's the deal?!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Abby15

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Heyy
guys why don't you people
delete your wifi connection for some time and thn
connect again ....
I hope this works out !!!
Just delete your connection
nd recoonect
;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.