Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dezza.1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Hi

I have been encoding DVD's to .m4v using my mac and they turn out superb!! I am using strict anamorphic, 2 pass encoding, 2500kbps with 2 audio tracks.

However as I have a 13"macbook pro the encoding takes AGES, I have a quadcore windows vista pc at work and I thought that it might be a lot better to encode on there as it would take half the time!! I used Handbrake again and put down the exact settings as per the mac, however I have now tried 4 different DVD's and all the video's when finished come out scrambled?!?! I can't understand why and it's driving me mad!! I then thought that it might be the PC so I tried the same on a colleagues work windows laptop and it came out the same!!

Please say I'm missing something simple as the encoding itself takes half the time and I have a lot of DVD's that I need to put into iTunes!!

Cheers

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Unless something has changed recently, Handbrake for Windows doesn’t include decryption software. Handbrake for Mac uses VLC (free). You need something like AnyDVD (not free) on Windows to use in combination with Handbrake.

Mighty brave of you to be ripping DVDs at work (unless it’s a family-owned business, etc). :D

dezza.1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Unless something has changed recently, Handbrake for Windows doesn’t include decryption software. Handbrake for Mac uses VLC (free). You need something like AnyDVD (not free) on Windows to use in combination with Handbrake.

Mighty brave of you to be ripping DVDs at work (unless it’s a family-owned business, etc). :D

Ahh, you don't know of any free bit's of software that work with windows?

Although at work, we use our own machines and I own all of the DVD's that I'm using, so not as brave as you may think :)

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
You can also rip the DVDs to ISO files in the OSX environment and then use the ISO files as sources to queue up encodes in Windows.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Though note, this does not work with windows. only mac. windows requires another ripping utility like dvd43 or anydvd. One is free the other is better but costs money.

bainesajay

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2003
Canada
Re: Lots of DVDs

I agree with the above. If you have a lot of DVDs, you really should be ripping them first to .iso files. Que all those up and send them to both machines simulataneously. You will be done in no time.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
You serious? When I encode on my 2003 eMac it takes up to a day. Maybe I should invest in an iMac
A 2003 eMac is woefully outdated for modern video encoding. Heck my 2006 mbp is pretty slow compared to a current i7 machine.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
I do feel quite outdated as well now. Like the one post is getting over 80 fps I'm lucky if sometimes I go over 3, my average is about 2.2 or around there. :(

The Mad Kiwi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
In Hell
I do feel quite outdated as well now. Like the one post is getting over 80 fps I'm lucky if sometimes I go over 3, my average is about 2.2 or around there. :(

You need a new computer my friend.

I'd wait until they put core i5 & i7 into the whole iMac range, it shouldn't be much longer before they dump the core2duos from the whole range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.