Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusanitoverde

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
Northern California
I got a question for you guys, I just sold my Sony Clié NZ90 and I used to sync it to my Mac and transfer the pictures to it. My unit had a built in camera and I thought of replacing it with a digital camera. However, one of the things that I used to do with my NZ90 was that I was able to take “self portrait” pictures, meaning that I would hold my NZ90 far enough with the lens and the swivel screen facing towards me and take a picture of my family and I without excluding myself from the picture, which would be almost unlikely to do with a regular camera.

However, when I went to look for some cameras, giving up to the idea that I would have to conform to a simple digital camera, I found that there are some digital cameras with more than 2 megapixels that had some kind of design that you actually could take “self portrait” pictures.

This is so important to me since I am a family man, and I love to take pictures with my family, and I was never able to take pictures of all of us in any given moment until I had my first Sony Clie.

Now, my question is:

Which camera do you recommend to buy that has 2 megapixels or more that is decent in price and I could take self-portrait pictures?

Thanks

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Just about every digital camera is Mac compatible, but look for one that has a removable memory card (CompactFlash is probably your best bet as they are the closest thing to indestructable -- people have dumped cameras in rivers, had them hit by shrapnel from exploding bridges, and stuff like that and the CF cards have survived) and get an appropriate USB or FireWire reader for it.

I use a Kodak DX3600, no longer made, but put the compactflash in a SanDisk USB reader. Both the camera and reader work with iPhoto, and if I want I can just copy the files off the reader using the Finder.

shavs

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2004
Just look for something with a self-timer, 10 seconds is good. I shoot with canon pro gear so I'm not to familiar with the lower end of the digicam market but most cameras should have one, I'm pretty sure all the nikon coolpix series do. CF is the way to go, you should just be able to plug pretty much any digicam in and have it work but if worst comes to worst a card reader will solve any problems you do have. SD cards aren't bad but try and avoid other formats.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I suggest that you go for a digital camera with a fold out viewing screen that you can turn round so that both the viewing screen and the lens are facing you, like the excellent Canon Powershot A95.

el greenerino

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
All the Nikon Coolpix from 5400 and up have the pop out swivel LCD. But if you're looking for something more affordable, I use the Nikon Coolpix 3500. Which is 3 MP and could probably be found at a good price since it's a couple yrs old and now discontinued.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
gusanitoverde said:
I was told about the Sony DSC-F77, but I have found no price on it yet.
That's because you have the model number wrong. The Sony DSC-F717 is the correct model number. The thing is, it's been discontinued for a couple of years.

The newest model in that form factor is the Sony DSC-F828 .

Or maybe you were thinking about the Sony DSC-F88.

Edit - I just read the review for the F88. It seems that the DSC-F77 wasn't released in the US, so that's why that model number wasn't familiar.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
Apple Quicktake's are the Mac friendliest cameras...by far. Check them out!

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
ftaok said:
That's because you have the model number wrong. The Sony DSC-F717 is the correct model number. The thing is, it's been discontinued for a couple of years.

The newest model in that form factor is the Sony DSC-F828 .

Or maybe you were thinking about the Sony DSC-F88.

Edit - I just read the review for the F88. It seems that the DSC-F77 wasn't released in the US, so that's why that model number wasn't familiar.

I thought "DSC 77" didn't look right. Hmmmm then I guess I got the last of the "DSC 717s" that were replaced by the DSC F88.

I do digital photography as a hobbie and own a DSC-717 and love it. I'm sure the 88 would be just as good.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
jet3004 said:
Apple Quicktake's are the Mac friendliest cameras...by far. Check them out!

apple quicktake was discontinued several years ago, and remains as collectors items....
The can't be used with new macs as they doesn't have any usb connection..
I think the best quicktake only was about 1 megapix

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.