Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meridiusuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Hi all new here nice to meet u all.

I have seen 5 iPhone 4 demo phones and have a flicker Has anyone else noticed a slight flicker when scrolling from the 2nd apps page back to the Home screen? It does and it's very distracting and I've a feeling it's not meant to happen. Didn't happen on my 3GS.

Here I another link about it as I thought this might be another big problem on the iPhone 4

http://www.avforums.com/forums/iphone/1277757-iphone-4-screen-flicker-problem.html#post12440944

let see if alot of u have this problem to

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
This was one of the first things I noticed about my iPhone 4, but then I realised that the cause is the Search screen on the far left.

As you scroll from the second page back to the first, the iPhone guesses that you are going to scroll another page to the left and one of the effects used on the search page is dimming/transparency.

If you move your finger much more slowly from the second page to the first page, it shouldn't happen (as you aren't going fast enough to move onto the search page).

AngelGuy7

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
New York
Yeah, I noticed this almost immediately as well. I think it's what Daveoc64 said. Seems minor and is something that could be fixed via a software update.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
lol, i just noticed that now.

Ive been having a different flicker issue though. Whenever i wake my phone up it flickers. Last night when i woke my phone up from sleep it flickered then went to a blank screen, then flickered again then to a blank screen again. It did that for 5-10 seconds and now it has this slight flicker every time i wake my phone up.

I can only see the flicker in light (Outside in the sun the light makes the flicker green making it very noticeable and annoying) but not in the dark. Its as if the screen is coming on slightly before the backlight and the image. I'm taking it to the genius bar to see what they can do, i bought from ATT so i don't expect them to just swap it out (which id rather them just fix it if they could because the phone is pretty much perfect other than the flicker problem.)

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
That's the way all IPS displays work. Try adding this wallpaper to your photo album on your phone. Open it on the phone and move it left and right, you'll see the flicker.

Attachments

• 3WbQC.jpg
    3WbQC.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 419

rwpeary

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
The flicker was one of the 1st things I noticed when moving to the homescreen, it is distracting. I did try the slower transition as Daveoc64 recommended & it didn't flash then. Seems like a small software bug.

Rhodesy

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
lol, i just noticed that now.

Ive been having a different flicker issue though. Whenever i wake my phone up it flickers. Last night when i woke my phone up from sleep it flickered then went to a blank screen, then flickered again then to a blank screen again. It did that for 5-10 seconds and now it has this slight flicker every time i wake my phone up.

I can only see the flicker in light (Outside in the sun the light makes the flicker green making it very noticeable and annoying) but not in the dark. Its as if the screen is coming on slightly before the backlight and the image. I'm taking it to the genius bar to see what they can do, i bought from ATT so i don't expect them to just swap it out (which id rather them just fix it if they could because the phone is pretty much perfect other than the flicker problem.)

I have noticed the exact same issue on both mine and my girlfriends phone!! i have compared it to other models on the the 4.0 software and none of them do it i also have a appointment with the genius bar to discuss this and will post my findings

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
noticing this on both of our iphone4's we're testing; if you scroll from 2nd page to the home page you see the flickering.

if you SLOWLY transition from the home page to the search page it's really noticeable once you pay attention to it. hope they release an update to fix it.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
This was one of the first things I noticed after getting the iPhone 4. It's not such a big deal though. I don't even notice it anymore. Seems so minor that not even the sticklers at Apple have done anything about it. :eek:

Rhodesy

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
So are you 2 not seeing the flash before the LCD screen lights up? When pressing the home or power button out side in day light or any bright light for that matter?

Philip.Mat07

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
same issue

I have the same issue. Home screen flickering slightly when swiping from page 2 to home page. I talked to an expert at Apple and he wants me to take it to an Apple store. I'll post what they say.

ehurdler

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2004
Mine also does the same thing. I bought my iPhone 4 2 weeks ago, preloaded with 4.0.1. I noticed it right away, and now a day after 4.0.2 was loaded, same thing happens. Not too big of a deal to me. I noticed it, if i scroll slowly like Daveoc64 states, it does not occur.

meridiusuk if the Apple Store Employee tells you something of special note please let us know. Otherwise I don't find it to be a big issue, just it is noticeable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.