Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hitman0304

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I use my phone all the time so I charge it everynight to ensure a full battery. However I don't want to hurt the overall lifespan of the battery. How often should I let it drain completely to guarantee a good life cycle?

hitman0304

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Awesome news. Thanks guys. I'm loving the battery life on this new phone. I was streaming pandora, playing games, watching YouTube along with texting all day and it still hasn't died on me. I wanna keep this battery healthy

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
You're telling me lol idk what to think at this point

wellllll i know nothing of batteries so I don't know, but I read on another forum that he does it once a month...one person on here said once a week. I don't really think you can do overkill, but you never know......

xmtgx

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
No, it’s best to keep the ions moving.

I disagree, I'm a flashlight fanatic I guess you could say, over 50 lights ranging from cheap one at around 50 dollars to custom made ones costing over 500 dollars, In about 90% of them I use li-ion batteries which should be kept topped off, this is a general consensus in the flashlight community. I also mess around with electric and gas cars as well as airsoft which use li-po's with a high discharge rate. These should be continually discharged and recharged but this is only true for the high discharge li-po's. Lower discharge ones such as ones a phone would use are better off being kept topped off.

hitman0304

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I disagree, I'm a flashlight fanatic I guess you could say, over 50 lights ranging from cheap one at around 50 dollars to custom made ones costing over 500 dollars, In about 90% of them I use li-ion batteries which should be kept topped off, this is a general consensus in the flashlight community. I also mess around with electric and gas cars as well as airsoft which use li-po's with a high discharge rate. These should be continually discharged and recharged but this is only true for the high discharge li-po's. Lower discharge ones such as ones a phone would use are better off being kept topped off.

And this topic has taken another twist

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Let me put it this way, 52 times a year isn't too much ;)

Let me put it this way, I’ve been around longer than you. :) We’ve discussed this in other threads until your head would ache.

What can I say, Apple says you’re wrong. Despite their piss poor antenna engineers, I’m going to go with Apple’s call on that.

woosah

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
FL
This is totally wrong. No more frequent than once a month is the answer.

Not according to Apple. From the link given above....

"Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.