Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Slowly but surely I am working toward Flashing the GTX285. Ideally we will figure out a way to mac an EFI-32 ROM. In any case, I first want to find out if there are other hardware issues preventing these from working.

The Mac EFi ROM is GREATER than 128K and my EVGA (PC version) only has a 128K so I am trying to figure out what 256K EEPROM chips are available and will work with Nvflash.

I downloaded the latest version of Nvflash (5.77) and decided to read the Read Me to see if they had a list of supported EEPROMs in the 256K size.

To my surprise, I read the following in the Read Me:

Supported Operating Systems
NVFLASH is currently available for DOS, Win32 platforms, Mac OS X, and EFI. The Mac OS X version requires that a NVIDIA driver be running on any cards that will be accessed by the utility.

I read toward the end and it had this on a GUI version:

Mac OS GUI Versions
There are GUI versions of NVFLASH for Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X that are designed to allow end users to upgrade their firmware.

I recall that there was a GUI version that ran in OSX, but it quit working after the 6xxx series cards.

Does anyone know anything about these alleged OSX versions of Nvflash?

Could certainly make working on Nvidia cards a bit easier.

What would an EFI version be??

It is possible that the Read Me is old. It is dated 2006

10THzMac

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
I read that as well and was never able to find any mac version, let alone OS X form. I use the Windows version under bootcamp as could never figure out the DOS on USB thing.

Cuda

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
I say, here.

Install it with Picifist.

Then sudo kextload /Applications/Utilities/GeForce 7300 GT Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/nvFlashDriver.kext

and /Applications/Utilities/GeForce 7300 GT Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/nvcmdflasher

But, it's so old, I don't think is supports past the 7900's.

And it can't be used for first flash, or in Hacks, so it may not work with an injector.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Access to a PC helps immensely, as it's easier to create either a floppy or USB stick that would boot DOS.

A USB Floppy might be the easiest, as you just move it from one system to another, and don't have to format a USB stick to FAT16.

wername

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
gtx 285 classified

@rominator:

Would it be possible to flash a EVGA GTX285 classified for MAC Pro?
The card has 3x Power connectors (would it work with only 2x?)

Thanks

breakingbad

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
@CUDA.
Mate, could you contact me in private?
I saw one post of you talking about EDID issue and I like to know if you can give an help with something that could be related to that.
Is there any chance of this happens?

You can contact me at:
camanzi@oi.com.br
Or in InsanelyMac Forum as Breakingbad.

Cheers to all,
bb.

beto2k7

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
::1
@CUDA.
Mate, could you contact me in private?
I saw one post of you talking about EDID issue and I like to know if you can give an help with something that could be related to that.
Is there any chance of this happens?

You can contact me at:
camanzi@oi.com.br
Or in InsanelyMac Forum as Breakingbad.

Cheers to all,
bb.

Do you realize you bring a thread that is almost a year old back to life???

ThreadNecro.jpg

breakingbad

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
Do you realize you bring a thread that is almost a year old back to life???

ThreadNecro.jpg
Well, I'm trying to contact one of the users of this forum and I'm not allowed to contact him in private.
Is there a problem to try contacting him here?

Cheers,
bb.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Well, I'm trying to contact one of the users of this forum and I'm not allowed to contact him in private.
Is there a problem to try contacting him here?

Cheers,
bb.
There's limitations based on time and post counts for some features/sections (FAQ and Rules sections).

From the FAQ section (on Private Messaging):
Why can't I send a Private Message?
You may not be eligible to use this feature yet.

Before you can send a Private Message or email to another forum member, these conditions must apply:

1.You must have a post count of at least 5, as shown in your user profile.
2.You must have been a forum member at least one day.
3.The recipient must have enabled receipt of Private Messages or email in their User Options. The options are named Enable Private Messaging and Receive Email from Other Members.
The first two eligibility requirements are necessary to prevent spammers, advertisers, or "bots" from joining MacRumors merely to send spam by Private Message. They are a slight inconvenience for new members but are for the benefit of all members. The third requirement is a matter of personal privacy. If a forum member chooses not to enable receipt of Private Messages or email, the moderators will not send them a message on your behalf. However, members should enable receipt of Private Messages when posting in the Marketplace forum.
Even if you've met the post count, it still may not be possible, as each user has the option of allowing email and Private Messages to other members (or not, if they so choose).

Hope this helps. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.