Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Got a hold of an ipad last night. I started using it and after a short time I had a killer headache. It came on much faster then when I use a MBP with a glossy screen. I should have known that was going to happen. I had to switch to an anti-glare MBP which made all the difference in the world.

My question is about the anti-glare (matte) screen protectors. Are they all basically the same? That is all of them that specify that they're anti-glare.

I'm also wondering if they're going to make enough of a difference for people like me that have a real problem with glossy screens. For me it's not just preference. Glossy, no matter what the brightness, room lighting or screen angle gives me killer headaches every time. I have found ways to increase the time before the headaches set in but they come every time.

My 17" anti-glare MBP is perfect. Just hoping to find a way to be able to use the ipad.

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
I'm waiting for Power Support's anti-glare to become available for the iPad. I have always liked their screen protectors for the iPhone. I think they are some of the best out there, they are however a bit pricey.

As for headaches I don't know if putting an anti-glare screen protector will help or not. Glossy screens have never given me headaches. Does it have something to do with brightness or contrast of the screen or just the glare?

sweteg

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
As for headaches I don't know if putting an anti-glare screen protector will help or not. Glossy screens have never given me headaches. Does it have something to do with brightness or contrast of the screen or just the glare?

Unfortunately, it has been the opposite for me. I've been using the SGP Steinheil AF for about 2 days now.

http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/products_id/1204

This is an exert of what I sent to their customer service, "Hey I received the screen and applied it, but I'm noticing a problem that I didn't have with the same protector on my iphone. The iPad screen seems very washed out by the AF protector. I'm having to almost squint when Im reading the screen and I have adjusted the brightness settings multiple times."

The font/words seem kind of blurry (washed out to me by the screen protector). It's weird since I've been using the AF on the iPhone for about 10 months now and not a problem. Maybe it's because the screen size on iPad is a lot bigger and it's become noticeable now. I'm not sure what I'm doing to do yet.

ApertureScience

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
Good to know I'm not the only one who gets headache from the iPad. I wasn't sure what was causing my headache, and I even thought I might be sensitive to wi-fi. Probably not the case, if that's even possible.

I should look into if it's my screen that's giving me the headaches. Anyone else have headaches from the iPad?

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
Sadly put me in the camp that gets a headache from using the iPad for any length of time. Really doesn't need to be that long but something about the iPad's screen/res/brightness (even at lowest with auto off), contrast seems to give me a headache.

Not had the problem in the 2.5 odd years I've had the iPhone or the year I've had the glossy 13" MBP. So very puzzled and debating selling my iPad on eBay as its hard to use.

Sucks as I love the device itself & the potential it has. Also I want to dev for it but simulating two handed touch is a little difficult.

Maybe Gen 2 I guess :(

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I'm HIGHLY prone to migraines and have yet to get any sort of headache pre- or post- anti-glare screen protector.

I do a lot of iBook reading and have never experienced even a minor one.

I'm sorry to hear that there are some out there experiencing this. :(

Thetics

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
In my experience, there may be a few main things that cause this.... I recently started playing drums and started getting headaches after practicing. I'm not so bad so i knew it wasnt from the music :p I asked a body builder friend of mine, and he said that most headaches are caused by the muscles in your neck and back, so doing "i dunnos" help. You basically just stand straight and lift your shoulders up and drop them down, do that a few reps and it should help.

Also consider.... viewing angle, i notice when using the ipad while laying down, i tend to get headaches, make sure your neck is not bent too far against your chest and your eyes are looking straight instead of down.

Distance as well... keep the ipad a fair distance away from your eyes, I know we are all used to having our iphones up to our noses, but its not necessary for the ipad :p

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I also got some major headaches while using the iPad, but so far I am keeping it, hoping I adjust to it.

I ended up getting another iPad and installed a Power Support anti-glare film the on it. Sure it makes the screen a little grainy but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. I don't get any headaches from it now and I love the look and feel of it.

the.orange.tuba

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2010
Good suggestions everyone, and thanks for the posture and exercises Thetics because I know I get the worst headaches when I am in bed with chin on chest looking down, with iPad close to my face; basically everything you said don't do! :eek:

I read some different websites about reducing eye strain and they said things like: Change your focus approximately every 20 minutes, by picking a subject about 20 feet away and look at it for 20 seconds or so(20-20-20 rule), that sounded like good advice. Close your eyes for 20 seconds every 30 minutes to give your eyes a rest. Blink some to moisten the eyes. I read that increasing text/font size is one of the best ways to reduce eye strain. Also, for Mac users you might try control-option-command-8 to reverse screen color to give your eyes a break from all the white backgrounds. The reverse color command didn't help me and might actually make me feel worse, so be careful, and know it's different strokes for different folks. :) Find what works for you.

Greg M, good to hear the screen protector helped, I've been planning on getting one, I just haven't got to it yet, but I will now since it helped you so much.

Great thread, thanks Greg and all!

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Your headaches are probably neck strain. Especially, if you are over-weight.

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Your headaches are probably neck strain. Especially, if you are over-weight.

Forums really bring out the "brightest"!

We're talking about eyestrain from using a glossy screen here in this thread.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Forums really bring out the "brightest"!

We're talking about eyestrain from using a glossy screen here in this thread.

This thread was not exclusively about eyestrain. Who made u the thread police. How about acting a bit more grown up.

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
This thread was not exclusively about eyestrain. Who made u the thread police. How about acting a bit more grown up.

I started the thread and it's about the glossy screen that promotes eyestrain which can cause headaches and what can be done about it. Of coarse if you can't understand the first post then I don't know what makes me think that you'll comprehend this post.

Eyestrain doesn't affect everyone but it does cause problems for many people and some of us have to find a way around it since Apple ignores us.

Of coarse you can feel free to start another thread and tell people that you've never met or talked to what their problem is.

debudebu

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2008
Even on the lowest brightness settings I get eyestrain headaches. I wish there was a way with Apple or something in Cydia that would allow it to dim even more.
Kind of ridiculous but I've bought some very lightweight, very slight yellow tint shooting range glasses to wear at home when I'm on it and I don't get headaches.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
When the iPad is set to the lowest setting the screen is actually flickering - even though you can't see it; but, if you up the brightness to 1/4 the flickering it reduced. With 1/4 brightness setting and the combination of anti glare the headaches should take longer to "come on."

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I started the thread and it's about the glossy screen that promotes eyestrain which can cause headaches and what can be done about it. Of coarse if you can't understand the first post then I don't know what makes me think that you'll comprehend this post.

Eyestrain doesn't affect everyone but it does cause problems for many people and some of us have to find a way around it since Apple ignores us.

Of coarse you can feel free to start another thread and tell people that you've never met or talked to what their problem is.

Not once do you mention eye strain, and you titled this thread headaches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.