Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
London
Having just upgraded to the iPhone 4 from a 3G, I'm so used to everything working so smoothly that I'm starting to expect I can use it more like a computer.

So its slightly disappointing to see that there's an 8-pages-open-at-a-time limit in Safari. For example, I like to click a bunch of thread links on macrumors just to read them one by one, but now you can only have eight at a time before the first ones you clicked start disappearing. Don't get me wrong, on the 3G after 3 pages were open, it would either start to get very slow or just crash, so this is a huge improvement, I just thought that with the 512mb of RAM it would be a bit more capable now. :(

Was this the same situation as it was before? (mainly on the 3GS I guess)

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Having just upgraded to the iPhone 4 from a 3G, I'm so used to everything working so smoothly that I'm starting to expect I can use it more like a computer.

So its slightly disappointing to see that there's an 8-pages-open-at-a-time limit in Safari. For example, I like to click a bunch of thread links on macrumors just to read them one by one, but now you can only have eight at a time before the first ones you clicked start disappearing. Don't get me wrong, on the 3G after 3 pages were open, it would either start to get very slow or just crash, so this is a huge improvement, I just thought that with the 512mb of RAM it would be a bit more capable now. :(

Was this the same situation as it was before? (mainly on the 3GS I guess)

Yes, it's always been 8 pages.

Exactly how many pages do you NEED to have open at a time on a phone?

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
London
it means that people like yourself are just finding things to complain about for the hell of it.

No, I'm not complaining "for the hell of it", its a genuine usage reason that I've found myself in. Of course I have to accept it how it is until Apple might change it, but why should I get told off by you for wanting to discuss it on an Apple forum?

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
No, I'm not complaining "for the hell of it", its a genuine usage reason that I've found myself in. Of course I have to accept it how it is until Apple might change it, but why should I get told off by you for wanting to discuss it on an Apple forum?

why in gods name would u ever need more than 8 pages at a time is beyond me.....it's rare i get beyond 5 on my laptop let alone a phone!!

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
I suspect the limit is 8 because the designers feel navigating between a larger number of open pages would be too tedious, but I'm not sure I agree with that.

I don't think it's an unreasonable thing to want, although I don't want it myself. Seems like it would be a trivial upgrade to add a setting for "maximum number of open pages" to Safari. Have the default at 8 and the maximum at, say, 32.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
London
why in gods name would u ever need more than 8 pages at a time is beyond me.....it's rare i get beyond 5 on my laptop let alone a phone!!

So we do things differently, that doesn't mean that Apple couldn't have raised the limit seeing as the hardware is more capable? And I personally like to choose to have long lists of tabs open on my laptop and while I don't expect the exact same capabilities on a phone, I thought it might be better than before.

I suspect the limit is 8 because the designers feel navigating between a larger number of open pages would be too tedious, but I'm not sure I agree with that.

I don't think it's an unreasonable thing to want, although I don't want it myself. Seems like it would be a trivial upgrade to add a setting for "maximum number of open pages" to Safari. Have the default at 8 and the maximum at, say, 32.

Thank you, finally a reasonable response from someone using their head and not just their overworked biceps.

Reiger

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Netherlands
Safari has been so much improved, and it's still not good enough. Sometimes Macrumors makes me sad :(

At last, the browser remembers tabs. The browser remembers previous visited pages. And we are able to open large websites with lots of pictures, like the Boston Globe's Big Picture!

I couldn't be more impressed :D

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
London
Safari has been so much improved, and it's still not good enough. Sometimes Macrumors makes me sad :(

At last, the browser remembers tabs. The browser remembers previous visited pages. And we are able to open large websites with lots of pictures, like the Boston Globe's Big Picture!

Of course its been improved, I even said that in my OP, but why settle for just that? Apple should always be pushing to make the best experience possible.

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009

One reason it is improved is because of feedback from users asking for improvements. You know, like the OP. :)

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
London
Exactly. That's why there's a limit. Apple didn't just pick a number out of thin air. They obviously think 9 or above would hinder performance in some way.

Yes, that might be true if you have 8 pages loaded with videos/large images, but I think it should be able to dynamically change depending on the content and its usage on the processor, as in my example of loading up macrumors threads, it didn't seem to tax the phone at all and was smooth in opening and switching between pages and other apps, so I'm pretty sure it could cope with more than 8. But I guess that would be a bit un-Apple like to not have a clear distinction of how many pages can be opened at once.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Most/all of us know nothing about the architecture of Safari so it's hard to speculate.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
Actually if you look closely you can see a forward and a backward button in mobile safari.

And even better, there's this book-like icon that allows you to have bookmarks and even see your browsing history! It's reeeeally cool. You should check it out. :cool:

Sorry. You won't get much sympathy from me. iPad allows a whopping 9 (hey, more than 8) windows/tabs and it doesn't matter that much because they simply reload when going between them. I would settle for half that if they didn't reload all the time. And, for the record, I'm a tab junkie. :eek:

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
London
Most/all of us know nothing about the architecture of Safari so it's hard to speculate.

True, I'm basing all my assumptions on user experience. Maybe after 8 it gets really dodgy. Who knows.

Actually if you look closely you can see a forward and a backward button in mobile safari.

And even better, there's this book-like icon that allows you to have bookmarks and even see your browsing history! It's reeeeally cool. You should check it out. :cool:

Sorry. You won't get much sympathy from me. iPad allows a whopping 9 (hey, more than 8) windows/tabs and it doesn't matter that much because they simply reload when going between them. I would settle for half that if they didn't reload all the time. And, for the record, I'm a tab junkie. :eek:

You didn't understand my usage example did you? If you want to open a bunch of links that are constantly changing, eg on the front page of macrumors or the forum spy thing, then you can't just be flicking back and forth cause the stuff you want to read might have disappeared by then.

I do use bookmarks, loads of them. That's another point, they should allow single action opening of bookmark folders on the iPhone just like in Safari on a mac. Maybe press and hold to get a menu and say load all tabs in the background.

Hasn't the re-reloading thing been fixed in iOS4, there's loads of threads about that somewhere, oh right, yer sorry, iPad, iOS4, fall. Shame. :p

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
Hasn't the re-reloading thing been fixed in iOS4, there's loads of threads about that somewhere, oh right, yer sorry, iPad, iOS4, fall. Shame. :p

First: that's a lot of commas. Might want to avoid 6 in one sentence in the future. Throw a period in there somewhere. Separate your thoughts... :p

You didn't understand my usage example did you? If you want to open a bunch of links that are constantly changing, eg on the front page of macrumors or the forum spy thing, then you can't just be flicking back and forth cause the stuff you want to read might have disappeared by then.

I do use bookmarks, loads of them. That's another point, they should allow single action opening of bookmark folders on the iPhone just like in Safari on a mac. Maybe press and hold to get a menu and say load all tabs in the background.

Second: Nah. I understand. I'm just messing with you. After all, the thread is titled "Only 8 pages open in Safari? Disappointed". Does that not imply you're disappointed in the lowly 8 number of pages available, not how they function? Anyways, that's plenty. Otherwise, like others have said, more may just bog it down.

To me, this is one of those things you just say "Eh" to and live with it. Sorry I'm no help, man. Doubt anyone can really change this for you.
Shame.

Phat^Trance

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
im using atomic web browser and its way better than safari! you should try it! supports adblock, tabs etc

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
London
And I second this. Try and enjoy your new phone, OP!

Mate, I am loving the phone. Just hoping Apple and co. keep pushing out updates to make it even better. :)

Oh and Atomic Web Browser is exactly what I've been looking for: fast rendering times, loading in the background and guess what? UNLIMITED tabs. Brilliant. The best 59p ever spent, thanks for the pointer Phat Trance. (I was convinced it was iPad only up til now)

See folks, we can all live happily ever after without having to insult people (not you Figbash, other people who've thankfully been moderated).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.