Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
A friend gave me a Powerbook 12" 867mhz. It's in good condition but kernel panics almost immediately when you put it on. He couldn't figure it out and was going to throw it away so I thought I'd try to save it.

I've tried almost everything and can't determine the answer other than I guess the whole logic board is messed up. I tested the hard drive and CD Drive and both are good. I even took it apart and disabled the built in ram and running off just the user ram and that's not it either (tested with different sticks). Formatted the drive, booted from Tech Tool and OS X.

When I do a Pram and power reset I get it to load off the CD but it kernels pretty quickly then continues to panic almost instantly after that. Resetting the Pram and power again gives it a little user time but then dies as soon as I try to do anything.

So is this ready for the trash?

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
no it kernels pretty much at the opening screen. There is no OS installed anymore. When I boot from CD it kernels trying to install it.

not 100% sure ram is good but I was getting the same problems with the 2 different ram modules I checked it with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.