Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TaterToT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
OK
Yep I was walking out to my car yesterday and I was carrying some other stuff with my iPhone on top and it slid off, about a 3-4 foot drop on to hard, rough, concrete.. It hit pretty hard and then slid a bit and I thought it was done for (I didn't have a case or anything on it, still waiting for my bumper to come). I picked it up to look at the damage and was amazed.. the thing only had one little place where it took the impact, and a few scratches on the back from sliding across the rough concrete, I thought it would of shattered or had way more scratches. I'm still pretty pissed at myself for dropping it but amazed at how durable it is. I'll try to get some pictures up in a bit.

Edit: Oh yeah and I've tested everything out with the camera, sound, vibrate, microphone, camera flash and everything still works perfectly.

Edit: pictures

http://img171.imageshack.us/i/img1677a.jpg/ - shows some nicks/scratches on the back
http://img824.imageshack.us/i/img1678d.jpg/ - point of impact
http://img534.imageshack.us/i/img1679kv.jpg/ - screen is still perfect
http://img694.imageshack.us/i/img1680k.jpg/ - scratches on back/a few rough edges

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
it seems when people drop there phones from 4-10 feet they are perfectly fine...most of them have pictures to prove it.

But then people claim they dropped it from 6 inches and it shattered...something doesn't seem right.

SydneySuero

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Im the type of person who couldnt live with a scratch on the screen of my phone, it would drive me insane

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Well, the iPhone 4's glass isn't like a glass that can't be broken. It's just stronger. I just don't understand why people expect it not to brake... it just won't brake as fast as normal glass.

And well, for you, lucky you :)

@pictures
It seems almost invisible at 'normal' light. Nice to see that, though sad you can see it very well when there's a lot of light.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
it seems when people drop there phones from 4-10 feet they are perfectly fine...most of them have pictures to prove it.

But then people claim they dropped it from 6 inches and it shattered...something doesn't seem right.

it can depend on the angle also.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
it can depend on the angle also.

Yes i know, but still....the glass from people who dropped it 6 inches is just shattered...i understand a few cracks on the edges...but not the whole back panel being shattered

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008

The story where someone dropped the iPhone from 1 foot high and shattered came from Gizmodo. So beyond just "the angle" of the drop. You may also want to read into "the angle" of the story and the source.

TurdFerguson

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
O'side!
I dropped mine yesterday from two and half feet it fell two feet hit the bottom of a sidetable then fell the rest of the way to the carpet. I have a bumper and zagg invisable shield. It made a loud thud when it hit the table but there was not a scratch or a mark! When I got the phone I put the invisable sheild and the bumper on right after I opened the box. Glad I did.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Well everyone has to remember that people mostly come here to complain, we have of a handful of cases were the phones were dropped from a few feet and broke. With the amount of phones sold there are probably hundreds if not thousands of other people who have dropped them from the same height and have had no issue.

The glass is stronger. There is however double the amount of glass to break. Fact is most people will never have a problem, but we will always have the vocal minority. :)

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Amazing build quality on the iPhone 4. The best I have ever seen for any consumer device.

Thanks for sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.