Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Apologies for what is likely an obvious newbie question, but I've searched and not found what I'm after.

Is there a way to control audio input to my home entertainment system from my mac, remotely using some sort of wifi connection.

I have a pretty basic home theater system built around a denon receiver.

Multiple Macs running 10.5.8

House is wired with airport express.

and already plug my iPod into the sound system via a base and y cable.

Is there a way to control the music stream remotely, from one of the Macs in the household? Is this something that the AppleTV can do for me?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
not sure if this is what you mean by "control audio input", but...

the apple tv (or airport express) can act as remote port for speakers for iTunes, You play a song on your computer, and the sound comes out of the port on the other device. You can even stream to multiple devices (although i think the limit is 5) and your computer's speakers at the same time, and they will be in sync

With an additional piece of software called airfoil(paid, but there is a free trial version), you can stream audio from any program (or even capture full system audio), although there is a couple second delay, so doesn't work well for video. this also will allow you to stream to windows, mac, linux computers or an iphone/itouch as well as apple tv or express. also allows multiples.

so if your ipod is a touch variety, all you need is airfoil, (and the free companion app on your ipod)

the apple tv is basically just a glorified iPod, with a remote, and the display is your tv instead of an LCD on the unit. It will also allow you is the ability to play music without your computer being on, since it has it's own hard drive.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I use a Remote App on my iPhone ( or a Touch) to access my iMac to send iTunes music to my Airport Express. The Airport Express is connected to an amplifier that runs my outdoor speakers.
So I can enjoy the outdoors and listen to some tunes.

Is that kind of what you're trying to do?

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
The nicest way I've found is music on a Mac, iTunes runs on that Mac. Output via Airport Express to various sets of speakers around the house. It sounds from the other posts that the Apple TV can work as an Airport Express equivalent. Free Apple Remote app on iPhone/iPod Touch gives access to all tracks and playlists, organising what's coming up next, switching speakers, everything.

If you want to control it from a Mac, is there a reason you can't use iTunes? The music would have to be on that Mac (or a network drive +/- some iTunes server program - I've not yet looked into that option).

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Thanks everyone. Controlling the music form my mac, via iTunes, is exactly what I want. What I seem to have learned is that Airport Express is the gizmo I need. I'll head down to the Apple Store today and check it out.

KDR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Thanks everyone. Controlling the music form my mac, via iTunes, is exactly what I want. What I seem to have learned is that Airport Express is the gizmo I need. I'll head down to the Apple Store today and check it out.

This is a great way to go. I have my entire house and yard running this way. While you can turn on the speakers from iTunes, it's even better if you have an iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad to control it with. Download the free Apple Remote App, and add the device as a remote in iTunes. I control my music 100' from the house during backyard parties, etc.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
update - and a question

I set up Airport Express - EXACTLY what I was after; wirelessly controlling the music stream to my stereo from my iTunes. Outstanding.

But KDR - you mention controlling this from the iPad (I do not have an iPhone or Touch). There does not appear to be any way to select Airport Express as the output on the iPad. I need this "Apple Remote App" I guess? I'll look for it.

thanks again to everyone for the great input

KDR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
I set up Airport Express - EXACTLY what I was after; wirelessly controlling the music stream to my stereo from my iTunes. Outstanding.

But KDR - you mention controlling this from the iPad (I do not have an iPhone or Touch). There does not appear to be any way to select Airport Express as the output on the iPad. I need this "Apple Remote App" I guess? I'll look for it.

thanks again to everyone for the great input

Sorry for the late response. You need to install the remote app, and set it up as a remote for your computer. You then connect to the computer through the iPad app to select songs, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.