Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm going to add that having owned a few phones before the iPhone - and all on ATT (not to credit ATT per se) - the iPhone of all the phones has had the worst issue with low signals and dropped calls.

Those always wanting to put the onus on ATT, while they are a contributing factor no doubt, should consider that the radio in the iPhone isn't perfect.

onemacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
Hertfordshire
I on Vodafone uk , with no problems when holidng my device in my left hand,

My college on O2, holds it in his left hand and bam, signal goes!

Perquilar! :confused:

Edit 1: Scrap that, mines doing too!!!

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I'm going to add that having owned a few phones before the iPhone - and all on ATT (not to credit ATT per se) - the iPhone of all the phones has had the worst issue with low signals and dropped calls.

Those always wanting to put the onus on ATT, while they are a contributing factor no doubt, should consider that the radio in the iPhone isn't perfect.

Did you mean “this iPhone of all the phones or “the iPhone 4 of all the phones?"

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Did you mean “this iPhone of all the phones or “the iPhone 4 of all the phones?"

Think about it, most people who b***h about dropped calls are iPhone owners. Maybe the iPhone antenna has been at fault all this time, and not the AT&T network?

Eye Doc

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
I am on Orange in the UK and I get this problem in spades!

The signal strangth certainly goes when I pick up the phone, but it also seems to be continually poor.

Micro-SIM in iPhone 4 gives me 1 bar and GPRS even on a desk.

Micro-SIM in iPad 3G gives me 4 bars and 3G (admittedly with iOS3.2).

This might be a 'non-issue' for Steve, but I depend on my phone when I am on-call and it is an issue for patients would need me!

I can't believe that the sum total of Apple's PR releases have been from Steve! Is their silence because they are stalling and the problem is inherent with the design?

Perhaps they shouldn't have hidden the phones in fake Iphone 3g cases when they were testing it!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA

The iPhone (3GS and now the 4) out of all the phones I've owned has the worst reception overall (dropped calls/lower signal strength).

I don't think I ever dropped a call on my Blackberry (3 different models) for example. Maybe once. And the call quality was pretty darn good.

Now I haven't had too too many issues personally with my iPhone 3GS (before the iPhone 4) - but definitely more noticeable in terms of overall signal.

Not bashing the iPhone nor praising ATT.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
The iPhone (3GS and now the 4) out of all the phones I've owned has the worst reception overall (dropped calls/lower signal strength).

I don't think I ever dropped a call on my Blackberry (3 different models) for example. Maybe once. And the call quality was pretty darn good.

Now I haven't had too too many issues personally with my iPhone 3GS (before the iPhone 4) - but definitely more noticeable in terms of overall signal.

Not bashing the iPhone nor praising ATT.

I thought you returned the phone because of a color issue on your screen. You had said that although the signal strength goes down depending on how you held the phone, you were going to keep it. I’m just trying to gage how bad this phone is.

ReflexReact

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
I've had enough. I phoned Apple for a third time (apparently a free bumper on way) to complain again. I explained using it in my left hand results in no service. I argued for a replacement. I know that the replacement is unlikely to be any different, but I felt keeping up the pressure on Apple is nessicary.

I didn't want to pay the £29 fee they charge for the quick replacement service (they send one to you before you return yours), and after much arguing he reluctantly agreed to waive the fee. I can expect a replacement in next 3 working days, and I then return my old one.

My only slight worry is they'll get mine back and argue it's fine, and charge me some rediculous fee. However, I hope they're not as bad as they're coming across at the moment, and admit there IS a fault.

Keep up the pressure on Apple guys.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
This might sound stupid but wouldn't contact with our body actually strengthen the signal?

no microvaves are absorbed by skin (water inparticular - how microwave ovens work) thats why it is common knowlage (it is printed in all mobile phone manuals and used to be printed in the iphone but they removed it maybe to remove blame as it would look pretty funny if in the manual it said dont hold the ariel but then it is impossible to hold the phone without the ariel touching you :confused:) that you shouldnt hold the ariel when using any type of mobile phones and also why mobile phone ariels are always under plastic and not able to be touched directly

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I thought you returned the phone because of a color issue on your screen. You had said that although the signal strength goes down depending on how you held the phone, you were going to keep it. I’m just trying to gage how bad this phone is.

Aggie - it honestly pained me to do this - but I had to return 2 phones.

The first had issues - bad front AND back camera + the signal issue
The second had back camera imaging issues + signal issue

This third one seems OK. The iPhone 4 camera is sweet - but it has it's limitations. In low light there seems to be a reddish round haze in the middle of images unless you use the flash. In fluorescent lighting, you get a green haze (I'm sure you've seen pictures).

My first two phones - the problem wasn't just the haze - but that the white balancing was completely screwed up and even with decent normal light - I would get pictures that were very yellow.

It still has the signal issue. I have it in a case so it's not too much of an actual problem for me. Not that I think it's acceptable to HAVE to have a case to fix a design or software issue. But the problem, for me personally, doesn't detract from the overall experience so far.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
This might sound stupid but wouldn't contact with our body actually strengthen the signal?

Not for cell phone frequencies for two different reasons.

Old analog TV frequencies were very roughly the size of a human body or limb. That's why you could touch an old TV antenna, and improve the picture. Whereas the wavelength of 1.9 GHz is about 16 cm. A quarter wavelength would be about 4 cm. Are you 4 cm tall?

The second reason is the severe loss propagating through a high-resistance bag of salt water (you), versus a low-resistance metal wire. The loss would warm you up slightly, much like food cooking in your microwave oven. By the law of conservation of energy, any RF energy warming you up is not getting to the cell phone radio chips.

hwalker84

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I got my bumper and thought it solved my problems.

I tested later and it didn't at all. If i run the speed test it stops completely as soon as I place my hand on the left hand side of the phone.

ianray

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
@
Think about it, most people who b***h about dropped calls are iPhone owners. Maybe the iPhone antenna has been at fault all this time, and not the AT&T network?

This point disregards the fact that iPhone is sold worldwide, yet, it appears that the vast majority of drop-calls are found in North America.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
This point disregards the fact that iPhone is sold worldwide, yet, it appears that the vast majority of drop-calls are found in North America.

Says who? Seems to me the percentage of dropped calls by region is close to what I'd expect the percentage of sales by region to be? (also keeping in mind that those on this website naturally hear more about US problems)

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I am not educated well enough in cellular communication to produce actual numbers, but I believe that the bars we see are inaccurately rendered.

I first noticed this with the 2.1 release on iPhone 3G. After this update my iPhone scarcely ever showed 2-4 bars.

In phone mode dial *3001#12345#* then press CALL. The Field Test Screen will appear. Select “Cell Information.” Signal Strength is on the top line after RX-.

Signal strength is a number ranging from roughly -50 to -105 (your phone may show as a positive number). Closer to zero means a better signal, i.e. - 50 (roughly full signal) is better than -105 (roughly no signal.)

I can't tell you how many times my 3G/3GS showed 5 bars but the number was -97, poor signal. My data tests confirmed with 230 download and 12 upload.

Apple is tampering with what the user sees and embellishing the results and they plan to go further with 4.0.1 tomorrow.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
First screenshot - Laying on desk.
Second screenshot - Touching finger to left gap.
Third screenshot - Holding left-corner as if left-handed.

Average screenshot of three tests per condition.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    274.2 KB · Views: 124
  • image_1.png
    image_1.png
    273.2 KB · Views: 100
  • image_2.png
    image_2.png
    275 KB · Views: 102

ianray

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
@
Says who? Seems to me the percentage of dropped calls by region is close to what I'd expect the percentage of sales by region to be? (also keeping in mind that those on this website naturally hear more about US problems)

If you're talking about the MacRumors iPhone 4 poll, then I agree.

My original point was about iPhone dropped call phenomenon in general, which seems to have always been a problem at least with AT&T :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.