Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
I have to replace my original SIM with one AT&T mailed me. But how do I? In older phones, it had a SIM eject tool, but iPhone 4 doesn't. My mangled paperclip isn't working too well and I don't have an AT&T store local to me... Any ideas?

rkmac

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
JAFA, New Zealand
  • strighten out a paper clip
  • a mechanical pencil
  • a piece of wire

Just a paper clip is your best option. They're really not that hard to find.

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK
I have to replace my original SIM with one AT&T mailed me. But how do I? In older phones, it had a SIM eject tool, but iPhone 4 doesn't. My mangled paperclip isn't working too well and I don't have an AT&T store local to me... Any ideas?

Strange I got a sim eject tool with mine did you open up all the packaging to double check?

Failing that you might have to go on a paperclip hunt!.

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK
Daleski,

In the UK & elsewhere you received a SIM removal because you need it. In the USA we do not because we have one one carrier, AT&T.

Ahhhh strange though as my mate got one with his iphone which is locked to o2.. but yeah that makes sense :)

Thanks for the info!

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
I have a paperclip!!! But my sim tray isn't budging after 10 minutes of trying.

Jonmurgie

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2007
Cheltenham, UK
On both my 16gb and 32gb models I had a right battle to get the tray out... even with the sim tool us UK'ers got it was just bending!!

In the end I got a tiny electrical screwdriver (flat head) and as it was easier to grip a bit more force could be used, they finally popped out.

But yeah, they are SUPER TIGHT on the iPhone 4, maybe as it's a metal tray in a metal case until the 3G & 3GS!?

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
I have a paperclip!!! But my sim tray isn't budging after 10 minutes of trying.

I kept my sim tray tool from my last iPhone just to see how well it worked. Don't know about others but it is a very tight fit and doesn't eject all that easy. All I can suggest it to keep trying.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
it does take a bit of force using a paperclip on the first few times opening the micro sim tray... so keep pushing :) (and don't forget to breathe!!) :D

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Tom G. said:
Daleski,

In the UK & elsewhere you received a SIM removal because you need it. In the USA we do not because we have one one carrier, AT&T.

Actually, there's only one carrier in Japan as well (even more militant about SIM locks than AT&T, BTW - our iPads are locked over here!) yet we get SIM removal tools with our iPhones. So your logic doesn't really work out ... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.