Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anng12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
Do any devs here think they can make a FM radio app for the iPhone 4?
and put iAds in it so it can be FREE for us regular consumers?

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
I agree, I want an FM app too. When you're at the football for example and you want to listen to what's going on in other games ... well, in big crowds you have no chance of 3G reception never mind wifi. An FM radio app would solve that. It seems silly that I carry a £600 state of the art iPhone 4, but also have to bring a wee cheap radio as well because my phone can't do that simple functionality.

I would gladly pay for such an app.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
The jailbreak community hasn't produced an FM radio for iPod Touch, which also technically has FM capability in that Broadcom chip. Just because the chip can do it doesn't mean the rest of the hardware can handle it. there has to be an antenna accessible to the FM portion of the chip, there has to be firmware support for telling the chip to switch on its FM radio, there has to be a way for the audio signal produced by the chip to be routed through the audio processor, there has to be a way to signal the chip to tune specific frequencies...I bet none of that is possible through software alone, even in a jailbreak context.

sinshackj

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Although there's an FM radio deep within the silicon of the iPhone 4, there's a possibility there's no antenna running to it or that it's even functional, atop the fact that iOS doesn't have the functionality needed to interface with it.

A lot of radio stations now stream their broadcast live online, this is probably the easiest way to listen to the radio using only the iPhone

EDIT: basically what spblat said only posted slightly later

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
A lot of radio stations now stream their broadcast live online, this is probably the easiest way to listen to the radio using only the iPhone

Thanks for the explanation guys, makes sense. In the interim however, we are still handicapped by the fact that you can't actually get online when you're sitting in a large crowd. Hence a £5 radio beats the iPhone 4 in that respect (unfortunately)

stylez4o1

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
Thanks for the explanation guys, makes sense. In the interim however, we are still handicapped by the fact that you can't actually get online when you're sitting in a large crowd. Hence a £5 radio beats the iPhone 4 in that respect (unfortunately)

You can't listen to games via streaming. I don't know why but they don't allow it(some kind of regulation?). I tried to listen to a football game while on vacation but instead they had a sports talk show on.

bigpatky

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
You can't listen to games via streaming. I don't know why but they don't allow it(some kind of regulation?). I tried to listen to a football game while on vacation but instead they had a sports talk show on.

the pro leagues have blackout rules so you pay for their specific streaming services (like paying $15 for the mlb at bat iphone app). colleges don't usually have that with some exceptions (i know michigan blocks out streaming on their affiliates so you pay for their service)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.