Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
I need to take some stills of a dvd to work from on a picture. I figured I'd though of the perfect way of doing this: start the player, not in fullscreen, pause on the shot I want then do a screen grab.

However, I just keep getting an alert noise. This must be some kind of safeguard.

Does anyone know of a way of getting screenshots from DVDs using mac DVD player..?

Thanks.

Mike.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
download mPlayer

load the .VOB's into mPlayer

play them, find the spot you want to capture

open 'grab', and grab it! works great for me :D

(PS: I think this way only works with non-encrypted DVD's, or DVD's copied to your HD using DVDBackup)

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
NOTHING'S WORKING....Arggghhhhh!!!!

Dwonloading Mplayer to try. I've been at this all afternoon!!

Just tried snapNdrag, wouldn't work. If I select an area, the image just ends up blacked out, and if I select the screen, it grabs everything apart from the dvd display window. OSX Grab or screen capture doesn't work, and neither do snapz pro, DVD Capture or Capture me. As with snapNdrag, the last 3 will grab all but the dvd window, as if its on a diferent layer....

This is driving me crazy....
:mad:

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
mikebatho said:
Dwonloading Mplayer to try. I've been at this all afternoon!!

Just tried snapNdrag, wouldn't work. If I select an area, the image just ends up blacked out, and if I select the screen, it grabs everything apart from the dvd display window. OSX Grab or screen capture doesn't work, and neither do snapz pro, DVD Capture or Capture me. As with snapNdrag, the last 3 will grab all but the dvd window, as if its on a diferent layer....

This is driving me crazy....
:mad:

I saw this problem before, but it was when I was using a PC and Windows Media Player. I think it has something to do with the the dvd video being rendered seperate from the actual screen. In WMP you had to go in options and turn off acceleration then the video card rendered the movie with the rest of the screen.

As for a solution on OSX, I don't really know of one, but I'm sure there is one.

sgarringer

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
FuzzyBallz said:
Well, some Mac genius/expert has to know...

On a PC, you can easily capture a video frame w/ PowerDVD or any software DVD player.

Not true. Depending on the Macrovision protection on the DVD, some times if you take a screen capture it will just show blue/black where the DVD image is.

Apple was required to disable the screen-shot feature when the DVD player sofware is loaded. There have been discussions on this before.

If you know how, DeCSS the DVD and then play it with a media player that allows saving frames. I dont know how to do this on Mac (my iBook doesnt have a DVD drive and I use my PC for these sorts of things) so unfortunatly I cant be of much more help.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
If you've got two Macs connected you could play the DVD on one and then use Rendezvous in safari to take a screen caputre on the other machine....

It's worked for me.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
There are a couple of really easy ways around this one.

First off, you can use VLC, which will allow you to take a screen-shot in the normal way using Command-Shift-4 and then dragging the crosshair over the frame. Alternatively, you can download DVD Capture, which works with the OS X DVD Player.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
sgarringer said:
Not true. Depending on the Macrovision protection on the DVD, some times if you take a screen capture it will just show blue/black where the DVD image is.
Give me a DVD movie, any DVD movie, and I'll give you a screen capture, w/o the blue/black thing you're talking about. There are so many ways on the PC to get rid of whatever protection crap it's not even funny.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Frustration.....

OK, I'm giving up on this til the morning.

The sun is well & truly over the yard-arm, and there are beers in the fridge.

Ii don't have 2 macs, and have had no success all day with half a dozen different methods & players. Somebody suggested it may be to do with restrictions on my video card, but I dunno.

Things to try tomorrow: VLC 9although I've had no luck with it so far).

Constrictor..(???)

And the other player mentioned that I havent tried.

Keep it coming guys, there must be a way!!!!!!

Cheers. Mike.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Found something that might just work.

DVD Capture, now updated to version 2.5, is a helper application for the Apple DVD Player. New features include enhanced improved file handling, DVD Player controls, improved settings retention and conversion to JPEG and cropping capability. It enables the user to take screen captures of the DVD Player Viewer in full screen mode in three different sizes. The captures can be saved to a file or placed on the clipboard. An AppleScript is provided for the DVD Player script menu that launches DVD Capture. Select "File" or "Clipboard" to assign a location for the capture. Mac OS 10.2 or higher required. May not work on all hardware configurations that are not G4-G5 Towers.

AngusB

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2002
Washington DC
Proof of Pudding

I promise that constrictor is the shareware way to go...

and money where my mouth is..

See attached image made with constrictor and shrunk down to manaegable web size!

Angus

Attachments

• Naked Gun SM.jpg
    Naked Gun SM.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 4,658

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
OK, deep breath....

OK. Here's a list of things that won't grab dvd on my machine:

Snapz pro

Capture me

mplayer

vlc

DVD capture

snapNdrag....

I've tried all settings & options, and it still behaves like the dvd viewer window isn't there. Captures everything but the viewer, or if you just select an area within the viewer, you just get a blank panel.

I'll try constrictor & quicktime pro.....

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
VLC has worked fine for me... You can use the same screenshot commands as usual in that program. I just make it full screen and hit pause. It's not always perfect quality, but it works.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
close to giving up....

Ok, I can't get my dvds to play in quicktime pro. They also don't work in vlc or mplayer. You either get nothing at all or a scrambled image...

Constrictor didn't work either.

As with other stretch-frame capture software, you can move the frame anywhere outside the dvd viewer window & it'll take captures of your desktop just fine, but if you drag it half over the paused dvd viewer window, any portion of window within the frame it blanked out. You can pull the frame into the centre of the window so you have a totally blank screen, or stretch the frame full screen so you have a full shot of your desktop, but with the dvd window blanked out.

Spooky.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
I just wrote my own RB app that will take a picture of the screen. It has worked on over 60 dvd's I have tested with it (many of those are best sellers and such).

we are a really american family, 112 dvd's all best sellers and oscar winners :p

please note: i have tested this on about 6 macs, all with different vdeo cards and such.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Model...

Its a graphit G4 tower......

I'm no expert, so I'll give you what is in System Profiler:

Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics) (version 2.8)
OSX 10.2.8 (6R73)
Machine speed - 400 MHz
Bus speed - 100 MHz
Number of processors - 1
L2 cache size - 1MB

DIMMO/J21 - SDRAM - 64MB
DIMM1/J22 - SDRAM - 128MB
Card Type - display
Card Name - ATY, Rage128Ps
Card model - ATY, Rage128Pro
Card (video) memory - 16MB

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Model...

Its a graphite G4 tower......

I'm no expert, so I'll give you what is in System Profiler:

Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics) (version 2.8)
OSX 10.2.8 (6R73)
Machine speed - 400 MHz
Bus speed - 100 MHz
Number of processors - 1
L2 cache size - 1MB

DIMMO/J21 - SDRAM - 64MB
DIMM1/J22 - SDRAM - 128MB
Card Type - display
Card Name - ATY, Rage128Ps
Card model - ATY, Rage128Pro
Card (video) memory - 16MB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.