Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Well, like many of people here I had the obnoxious signal loosing issue that is affecting a staggering amount of iPhone 4 users. However, I never realized I inadvertedly fixed the issue until just 10 minutes ago. I had signal issues since Day 1.

Bear with me thru this small story. I saw here a thread on MacRumors about a user experiencing camera issues on his iPhone 4. Said issue was that the camera showed a green spot in the center. I was sorta curious but never really paid much attention to it. This was 4 days ago. Flash forward to yesterday.

I was on the Apple Store picking out a new case for my iPhone 4, along with the respective screen protector. While I was doing that I saw an empty iPhone 4 demo unit and I decided to test drive FaceTime. I fired up both my iPhone 4 and the demo unit and connected. Disaster struck, my iPhone suffered from the same green spot effect as the iPhone from the user on MacRumors. Knowing full well, it was a hardware problem I set up an appointment for today at 6:30 PM.

Flash forward to today 6:30 PM. I got there at 6:15 and the Genius helped me out right away. He saw the problem, diagnosed my phone and concluded as previously stated it was hardware problem. Obviously warranty kicks in. He takes out my Micro SIM card and puts in the new iPhone (this was a brand new, not refurb unit). He activates it and hands it to me for mini inspection. first thing I do is check the camera, and against ALL odds, the same issue plagued this new phone. The Genius and I were, to say the least, shocked. Same issue, different phone. Now, how does this relate to the signal loss? Well, I am getting there so hang on tight.

The Genius does a comparisson between my iPhone and replacement unit to find the exact spot. He then pulls out his and does the comparisson to find his iPhone 4 too suffers from the dreaded green blob/spot. He then tells me there is no other replacement unit for my iPhone and that I had 2 choices. Take my current iPhone and wait if a software fix comes along, or take the replacement phone with me. I decided to wait and keep my phone (it is a hassle to resotre everything to previous state). So the Genius reswaped the SIM card to my phone back and handed it to me. (My iPhone spent 15 minutes with out SIM card while the Genius did all his tests on my and replacement unit, and while he asked for 2nd opinions on the green blob issue)

I went on my merry way, but realized something now. No matter what position I held my iPhone 4 in, the signal never decreased. I held it the many ways I know the signal issue pops and nothing. No bar loss, no signal loss, no call drop. NOTHING. So there you have it.

I am theorizing that moving the SIM card had something to do with the signal issue, because the only thing I have done to my iPhone 4 differently is take out and reinsert the SIM card. Other than that no other changes to it. No setting change, no software change no nothing. Just reinsertion of the SIM card. Now, to prove my theory, I need people who can test this and see if this fixes their iPhone. I know it did on mine, but on yours?

Check it out.

PS - No, I did not have the green blob issue fixed.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Nah. You're just getting lucky with good signal right now. I've gotten 2 replacements and moved the SIM a bunch of times, still no go.

It doesn't happen for me all the time either, just depends where I am and I have to hold that corner. At this point it's a non issue for me because I've been making calls left and right with no problem.

mrFinder

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
did u go to the same spot(s) where you were previously experiencing the reception issue to try and replicate it?

iphoneguy123

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Interesting. I'd be surprised if this was all caused by SIM cards but perhaps the housing is not tight enough for the contacts to fit? I'll play around with mine and see what happens.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Nah. You're just getting lucky with good signal right now. I've gotten 2 replacements and moved the SIM a bunch of times, still no go.

It doesn't happen for me all the time either, just depends where I am and I have to hold that corner. At this point it's a non issue for me because I've been making calls left and right with no problem.

Umm yeah Hi. No one wants to read my post that this doesn't work?

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I tried it and I can still make it lose signal with just a light touch of a finger, but it was worth a shot.

Thanks for sharing this and I'm glad it worked for you, though.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
He meant did you take the phone to the places where you had signal issues?

I think he was saying he had signal issues everywhere. Anyway, I’m not sure why this “fix” would work. Also, mine works great right out of the box. However, I guess DukeBound has the issue, so it’ll be interesting to see what he reports.

Edit: Didn’t see DB’s response. Oh well.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
you do know the green spot issue with the camera is due to florescent lighting right?

Yeah, I kinda hypothesized that with the Genius since the Apple Store is flourecent lighting. Also, my work place has flourecent and the blob appears there too.

Not outside where with traditional bulbs, so I am sorta happy my green blob is not permament.

iphoneguy123

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I was unable to fix my phone by adjusting the sim, I doubt that's the problem actually. The I4 sim tray is VERY firm.

All I can say is enjoy the good signal jav and hope it doesn't go away!

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Guess I'll cancel my green blob genius appointment considering it'll just be another one with a green blob lol

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Actually I did.

Yeah, hi, senior member here. At least I tried something and worked and I am giving out what I did for others to test.

Fair enough, but when I post that I tried it on 2 phones including my first, so 3 total and it did nothing, I demand people take my word for it and not try.

Sorry, just a little over tired and a tad on the ****** side tonight.

(still doesn't do anything though)

;)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Fair enough, but when I post that I tried it on 2 phones including my first, so 3 total and it did nothing, I demand people take my word for it and not try.

Sorry, just a little over tired and a tad on the ****** side tonight.

(still doesn't do anything though)

;)

Demand != asking... so yeah, people may have a hard time listening. Anyways, lets leave this at "you are tired". End of the day here too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.