Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumorman69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Hey guys I just wanted to hear your opinion on which is the best invisible shield-type protection for the iPhone 4. I was interested in the BodyGuardz, but it seems they don't provide coverage for the home button, which is a total deal breaker for me. The ZAGG invisible shield also seems like a good option, but i costs $25 for a single set (the bodyguardz is $25 for 2 sets) while the bestskins ever is only $7.99. Also, I really like how the bestskinsever simply has a single circular cut out in the back which seems to be for the camera, but the plastic layer actually does cover the LED flash. What do you guys think? It shouldn't make a difference if the LED is covered by a clear piece of plastic right? If anything I think it's better that way so there is a smaller hole that is exposed and less dust can accumulate around the edges. Is there anyone here with any of these products or several? I would really appreciate it if you told me what you thought of them and if you are able to use them with a case (bumper, etc) and which cases work and which ones don't. I'm posting pictures of each product:
ZAGG:
APLIPHONE4GMC.jpg

BODYGUARDZ:
apple_iphone_4_lrg_1.jpg

BodyGuardz application video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGuq5FGyvNM&feature=player_embedded

Bestskinsever:
iphone-4g-diagram.gif

Right now I'm leaning towards bestskinsever because of the way it's cut (the home button is covered and the LED is covered as well) and cause it's the cheapest.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
my personal experience, bestskinsever is cheap price-wise and that's not a bad thing. But the cuts from my previous purchases from them have been a bit rough in the cuts and fit.

Invisible shield has an orange peel like effect.

Bodyguardz has no orange peel effect (or less prominent). I currently have my ipad and mbp in a Bodyguardz skin.

However, for the front screen none of them are good enough for finger usage. I would go for a powersupport or an sgp front protector.

rumorman69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Wait.. Why would bestskinsever cover up the LED? :confused:

I don't know , why wouldn't it? Will it affect the strength of the LED? I doubt it would be noticeable at all even with very expensive equipment. Also, as I said before, the way I see it it's better that it's covered. That way the length of the plastic inner edge is smaller so that means less dust can accumulate... What do you guys think?

supermanfan

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2008
I don't know , why wouldn't it? Will it affect the strength of the LED? I doubt it would be noticeable at all even with very expensive equipment. Also, as I said before, the way I see it it's better that it's covered. That way the length of the plastic inner edge is smaller so that means less dust can accumulate... What do you guys think?

Agreed. I have the Best Skins Ever on mine and love it. It is beyond me why people would pay so much more money for the other products.

rumorman69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Agreed. I have the Best Skins Ever on mine and love it. It is beyond me why people would pay so much more money for the other products.

So you have the bestskins ever on your iPhone 4? Sounds cool. Any chance you could post high res pictures of it? Perhaps some nice macro shots of the front, back and edges? I guess you could pm some pics if you don't want to post them publicly... Have you also been able to use a case with the bse on? Also, are the edges rough or badly cut, what about for the piece that covers the home button? Thanks ;)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I love BSE. I tried BodyGuardz on my Macbook and peeled it off and went with BSE have used them on my iPad and all iPhones. I have a BSE on my iPad and an Apple Case no problem. And that case is a snug fit.

My only worry is how the BSE will affect the flash, ie. cause diffusion or a starburst or anything odd. I got mine today and plan to use it to go naked but also with my bumper. For me I went with back only which includes the sides. I leave the front naked. Never scratched my 3G in 2 years. Not worried about this one either. But I figured a little protection for the back wasn't a bad idea. Also not sure if the stainless steel band will scratch the way aluminum MacBooks do, so I wanted the strips. But I don't like the orange peel grippyness on my screen and don't think a PowerSupport Crystal Film is warranted. Films tend to get really scratched and look crappy after a while as they are plastic. The retina display is too nice to skin or cover.

Like I said elsewhere, I will take a flash shot tonight and once I get the skin on and it dries I will take the same flash shot again to see if I can notice a difference.

rumorman69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I love BSE. I tried BodyGuardz on my Macbook and peeled it off and went with BSE have used them on my iPad and all iPhones. I have a BSE on my iPad and an Apple Case no problem. And that case is a snug fit.

My only worry is how the BSE will affect the flash, ie. cause diffusion or a starburst or anything odd. I got mine today and plan to use it to go naked but also with my bumper. For me I went with back only which includes the sides. I leave the front naked. Never scratched my 3G in 2 years. Not worried about this one either. But I figured a little protection for the back wasn't a bad idea. Also not sure if the stainless steel band will scratch the way aluminum MacBooks do, so I wanted the strips. But I don't like the orange peel grippyness on my screen and don't think a PowerSupport Crystal Film is warranted. Films tend to get really scratched and look crappy after a while as they are plastic. The retina display is too nice to skin or cover.

Like I said elsewhere, I will take a flash shot tonight and once I get the skin on and it dries I will take the same flash shot again to see if I can notice a difference.

Thanks me, I would REALLY like to see the results and see what you think (rough edgest, etc). It'd be great if you could post the results and high-res (macro) pics of your iphone with the bse on if not, pm me bro. :)

rumorman69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
UPDATE: I just saw an unboxing video for the bodyguardz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy0t-KxyFIk) and it seems it does indeed protect the homebutton, but I'm not sure since the video quality isn't that great. However, on the official bodyguardz application video they don't cover the home button... Could any iphone 4 bodyguardz owner let us know if it has a piece to cover the home button or not? What about bodyguardz for previous generation iPhones, did they cover the home button?

arod757

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
I guess I'm not as picky as far as the way the screen feels, but the Bodyguardz skin feels very smooth on my phone. I only applied it last night, and it's been curing and clearing more and more by the hour. I figure in 3-5 days it should be completely clear, as that's about how long it took on my 3GS for the little bit of haze to go away. After that, it was very difficult to even tell it was there.

I kind of prefer the home button not being covered. I had it covered on my 3GS with Invisible Shield and like it much better without... not to mention I hated the orange peel effect of the Invisible Shield also.

I did notice on the Bodyguardz site they're coming out with a new shield that doesn't require water to apply, so it's completely clear immediately after application. Supposed to be available July 9.

rumorman69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I guess I'm not as picky as far as the way the screen feels, but the Bodyguardz skin feels very smooth on my phone. I only applied it last night, and it's been curing and clearing more and more by the hour. I figure in 3-5 days it should be completely clear, as that's about how long it took on my 3GS for the little bit of haze to go away. After that, it was very difficult to even tell it was there.

I kind of prefer the home button not being covered. I had it covered on my 3GS with Invisible Shield and like it much better without... not to mention I hated the orange peel effect of the Invisible Shield also.

I did notice on the Bodyguardz site they're coming out with a new shield that doesn't require water to apply, so it's completely clear immediately after application. Supposed to be available July 9.

So the bodyguardz for the iPhone 4 does NOT come with a piece to cover the home button then? or does it?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Thanks me, I would REALLY like to see the results and see what you think (rough edgest, etc). It'd be great if you could post the results and high-res (macro) pics of your iphone with the bse on if not, pm me bro. :)

It is going to be tomorrow night for install. I will put together before and after flash shots as well as some shots of the bse. I can post some shots of the bse on my iPad and MacBook later tonight. I think they have the best cuts. bGz was horrible since they cut out the apple logo on the MacBook and it was impossible to line up. Not sure why i even tried any other brand but bse, but now I know why i won't again.

oldschooldude

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
In the Land of OZ

I need some clarification, please.

Are/have you tried a bumper with the BSE, and if so, did you have any problems with the bumper causing the BSE to come loose on the edges?

The reason I ask is because I put a screen protector film on the from of my iP4 and a Griffen Cover (bumper-style that also covers the back) and within a few hours, the screen protector started coming up on the one side. No matter what I do I can't get the screen protector to stay down now.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I need some clarification, please.

Are/have you tried a bumper with the BSE, and if so, did you have any problems with the bumper causing the BSE to come loose on the edges?

The reason I ask is because I put a screen protector film on the from of my iP4 and a Griffen Cover (bumper-style that also covers the back) and within a few hours, the screen protector started coming up on the one side. No matter what I do I can't get the screen protector to stay down now.

I have not installed the BSE yet, and in the past with my BSEs and my original iPhone and iPhone 3G, both of which did not have a case ever, just the skin, and nothing on the screen, it was great. I have a BSE on my iPad which is in an Apple Case, but I have only taken it out/put it back in once since I installed it. So it has not had a lot of back and forth to see. However, like my MacBook and the iPad, the BSE has squared edges and the strips on the sides are probably not quite too the very edge. They are most likely just a tiny bit narrower than the width of the band. This is so that it will not catch and peel. Once on there it should stay very well. Unlike a screen protector which is a static cling film, this will adhere through a wet application. There is nothing to worry about. Power down, apply, let it sit overnight, a good 10-12 hours, power back up and you are good to go. They recommend a full 24 before using your device, but 10-12 is all I've ever done. Once it sets, and I would probably give it a full 48 hours to be safe, you should have no problem putting a case like the Apple Bumper on and off. Over time, 9 months or a year or more, you may possible start to affect the strips or see some edge peeling, or you may not. Only time will tell as this is a new iPhone design. The edges peeled a little on my iPhone 3G but not my original, but I had the 3G for 2 years, and it got more use. That design was rounded though and so much much much more prone to peeling. If it starts to come off in a year or slightly less because of too much rubbing in your pocket, or putting on and taking off a case -> $6 for a new one. Reapply. No biggie. Like I said, I will apply mine tomorrow and put some pics up. Might even post some of my iPad and MacBook skins tonight. You will see the quality.

atomicbatteries

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
I just got the zagg. Put it on both front and back. I hate the consistency on the front and it's gotta go. Feels like a skin, rubberery, hard to navigate with finger now. Do no recoment for front panel.

Will try another and I that does not work leave naked. Never bad a problem with 3GS and with insurance who really cares!

oakland6980

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Bestskinsever

i ordered the iphone 4 skin, which covered the LED flash. emailed them about it. their shipping me an altered cut and said that all cuts are now with the LED uncovered. So without a doubt go with bestskinsever

the new cut:

Attachments

• iphone-4g-diagram_1.gif
    iphone-4g-diagram_1.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 13,763

2SwiFt29

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Zagg full body on my 3G and now on my 4. No problems whatsoever. Has been great to me.

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
most important question:

which one of these will prevent the antenna issue when applied?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.