Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
I wonder if the 64GB iPad is faster than the 16/32GB models because of the extra memory.

In deciding between the 16/32/64 models, I can't see the iPad being my iPod replacement, since it's dorky to walk around with a 10" screen listening to music. Rather, I need to iPad for email and web browsing, hence, I can't see the need for extra memory -- UNLESS the extra memory makes the iPad go faster when web browsing.

Any comments?

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
it's extra storage space, not extra RAM or processor speed.

that's why i didn't get the 64 GB iPad.

I've managed just fine with 8 GB of space on my iPhone, so i figured 64 GB was way too far of a stretch, and 16 GB was too little for the number of apps, movies, music, and ebooks I wanted to put onto the iPad.

so a 32 GB iPad was nicely sufficient. I've only filled up about 10 GB of it so far, but then again, I haven't added the books i want yet.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I agree with the others. The ONLY reason I bought the 64gb unit is in hoping that Apple will update the software to give me FOLDERS to keep my docs and data in.

WTF, how hard would it have been to give us a place to store spread sheets and word files!:mad:

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
I agree with the others. The ONLY reason I bought the 64gb unit is in hoping that Apple will update the software to give me FOLDERS to keep my docs and data in.

WTF, how hard would it have been to give us a place to store spread sheets and word files!:mad:

well...they are already stored on the iPad itself, are they not?

if you mean you want a place to visibly look at all of them and transfer between an iPad and another computer, you could always use airshare or another app.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I have the 64GB WiFi iPad. Best decision I ever made. Have tons of music on there, pictures, and videos. And I have a 16GB iPhone 3GS. So I went with the smaller memory on the phone, but the largest on the iPad. I figured if this was going to be a computer I travel with, I want all my content with me when I'm on an airplane or something like that. Sure I could use my iPhone for music, but then I'm running down my cell phone listening to music. I'd rather use the iPad's ginormous battery.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Why would you make that assumption when Apple has signaled that kind of file structure is clearly not the direction it is taking iOS? You can only be mad that your own hope has fooled you. If you place a glass vase on hope it breaks, every time.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Why would you make that assumption when Apple has signaled that kind of file structure is clearly not the direction it is taking iOS? You can only be mad that your own hope has fooled you. If you place a glass vase on hope it breaks, every time.

Exactly. You have to *REALLY* research a product before you buy it. Extensively.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Actually I have a lot of work docs (I'm a lawyer) stored as pdfs in iBooks. We have some lengthy pleadings with exhibits (some in color) that I need to refer to periodically and it's very handy to have them on my iPad pdf iBookshelf.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
it's extra storage space, not extra RAM or processor speed.

that's why i didn't get the 64 GB iPad.

I've managed just fine with 8 GB of space on my iPhone, so i figured 64 GB was way too far of a stretch, and 16 GB was too little for the number of apps, movies, music, and ebooks I wanted to put onto the iPad.

so a 32 GB iPad was nicely sufficient. I've only filled up about 10 GB of it so far, but then again, I haven't added the books i want yet.
TrueLaLey Sister, So TRUE i agree with you
64 GB Storage is faster on iPad than the iPad with 16GB Only. Because, just like in Garageband if your only using 16gb and a coincidence that the memory is full then the garageband will keep saying "Optimizing performance" also some apps would force close when the Storage is lower. so 64gb is safe bet, sis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.