Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A short film shot and edited entirely on an iPhone 4 has been making the rounds over the past day or two, demonstrating the camera and video capabilities of Apple's newest device. While the video itself is less than 90 seconds long, it shows off iPhone 4's HD video recording feature and camera quality while also proving that simple, high-quality editing can be performed using Apple's iMovie for iPhone application on the device.

The footage has also been expanded to include behind-the-scenes video of how the shoot was conducted, including the various mounting methods used to capture desired perspectives and motion. The entire shoot and editing process was conducted in 48 hours.

Article Link: Short Film Shot and Edited Entirely on iPhone 4

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
My buddy showed me this video about 10 hours ago because he knows I got my iPhone 4 today. Pretty cool, though I just downloaded the iMovie app and it doesn't seem as easy to use as I thought it would be. I'm not really a video editing guy though, so I'll pick it up eventually.

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Not bad...

Those USC Film School peeps... I tell ya, doesn't matter what camera they use, they always come up with great stuff... Wish I had gone there for film school.

Not bad for a short done on a phone...

Don't be surprised to see films at next year's Sundance Fest done entirely on the iPhone...

jglavin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
Did anyone notice, that while she was editing it, holding it in her left hand. IT HAD NO BARS?
Don't need a cell signal to edit video!

Impressive work, here. iMovie is a pretty barebones editor, really; this just goes to show that it is the artist that makes the art and not the tools.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
watched the video, and through the whole thing, I thought, "no way this was done with the iphone." Then I saw the "making of" and was blown away.

Way cool.

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
Wow. It has motivated me to put "mess with iMovie on the MacBook" on my creative "to-do's" again.

$5 isn't logical...... yet

Blonde Buddhist

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
It's clear that these people were professionals - did you see that expensive device at the beginning of the behind-the-scenes part that held the camera as she slid it on a track? They basically took a bunch of professional movie devices and techniques and harnessed the iPhone camera into those situations. It is cool though that the iPhone was able to capture and produce this high quality footage though. Excellent job by iPhone. But I wouldn't plan on being able to make this at home yourself ... although you may be able to get close.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Wow! That gave me the chills. Great shots and great music. The only thing I noticed is the beginning shot had the phone trying to constantly adjust exposure making the lighting wavy. Otherwise, darn it if I couldn't tell the difference between an iPhone and a DSLR's video quality.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
That was awesome... I can't believe the quality. You don't need special equipment, it was just a wooden board on wheels (dolly) for the train shots and a couple of stands for the opening and closing scenes. And that arm to capture the scene with the train coming out of that tunnel probably isn't expensive either.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Wow! That gave me the chills. Great shots and great music. The only thing I noticed is the beginning shot had the phone trying to constantly adjust exposure making the lighting wavy. Otherwise, darn it if I couldn't tell the difference between an iPhone and a DSLR's video quality.

Uh that may be a bit of a stretch! :rolleyes:

It was good, don't get me wrong. I am a film-maker and tech analyst and I am amazed at what we can do with these devices these days!

iMovie on iPhone is pretty good but it needs a little work. Some of the icons are confusing, for example the record from camera icon is a still camera with an arrow pointing down. It needs to be the normal video camera icon (like in the camera when you slide it to capture video). Little things like that, but Apple should have caught that before it launched!

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Those USC Film School peeps... I tell ya, doesn't matter what camera they use, they always come up with great stuff... Wish I had gone there for film school.

Not bad for a short done on a phone...

Don't be surprised to see films at next year's Sundance Fest done entirely on the iPhone...

Agreed. I think the iPhone may make everyone armchair directors, much like cheap digital cameras made everyone armchair photographers.

And those USC guys, don't get me started on them. ;)

BraveArts

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Madrid, Spain
Well Done Guys

Quite incredible the quality that is coming out of iPhone 4.
A nice little short with some adventurous camera work. Just a taster of what's to come methinks. Well done guys & well done Apple. Love it!:)

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
Really nice short film, but I'm not really blown away by the results from the iPhone.

The auto exposure adjustment in the outdoor scenes is pretty bad. It'd be nice if there was an option to keep the exposure that it picks at the start, and not auto-adjust as you go.

Just keep in mind that this short film is great because of the person who made it, not the device. I'm sure he could shoot something just as nice on any other 1 or 2 megapixel phone.

That aside, the video quality of the iPhone is much nicer than I have seen from any other phone.

AppleFantastic4

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
this is just awesome. can't believe it
in the future, you will see something like iphone 4 short version lord of the ring
can't wait to try it myself :D

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Wow. Just wow. I keep having to remind myself that they're using a phone! Their story was simple and well-designed. And it proves that, with persistence, it can be done. I'm really impressed.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
This is another example of how it doesn't matter what camera or editing software you are using, if you have the talent, you can make some pretty impressive videos.

ikeywah

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2009
It really is the brain behind the work!

I know it's been said before me, but it really is the brain behind the work.
They put the effort in and it paid off.
Good job guys.

It's good to see people working so hard and being a little creative. I hope the publicity from this video makes a positive change for them in the future.

Well, they were obviously smart enough to have turned all networking off (Airplane mode) etc while filming...

i.evolve

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
as a very amateur film maker I will say that the ability to make this quality of a video on a "phone" is simply amazing!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.