Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

askfareed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Hi

I wanted to know how to set up push email, on 3GS I had to do it through the exchange route to get push email with gmail. Is it the same now or can I do it through the gmail option when setting it up?

Will it be better?

I am asking because there used to be a delay with exchange so will this be better or will it not have push?

jfinn1976

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2009
I use the exchange, this way my contacts and calendar sync over the air, instead of having to plug it in. It's easy, google even tells you how, m.google.com is the server, and enter your email and password.

I just tried the gmail option too, exchange came in a micro second faster then gmail. I have a ip4, Really no difference for me.

askfareed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
I don't sync calendars or contacts from gmail.

My problem with exchange is that when I delete something it gets permanently deleted and it doesn't go to the bin.

himni

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
I don't sync calendars or contacts from gmail.

My problem with exchange is that when I delete something it gets permanently deleted and it doesn't go to the bin.

With google sync you can't delete anything. When you delete something it just archives it. And calendars and contacts can be turned off.

askfareed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
So should I set it up with gmail or exchange?

Will the gmail option have push.

JROC453

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
South Florida
The only way I get my mail is after I open my inbox. How do you set it up to automatically receive new mail using Google?

Never mind... I think I finally got it. Does using the exchange eat up more battery?

himni

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
The only way I get my mail is after I open my inbox. How do you set it up to automatically receive new mail using Google?

Never mind... I think I finally got it. Does using the exchange eat up more battery?

What are your settings under Mail, Contacts, Calendars then Fetch New Data?

MY FJ

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
I use the boxcar app to send me a push message when I recieve an email (I've got gmail too). It's pretty fast, love it ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.