Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Seems like trying to install the 3.0 software and test one of my new apps with one of my beta testers ended up bricking his iPhone... we're trying to figure out what might be wrong, I think it might be something with his UDID in the program portal so is there any way to get the UDID without the assistance of iTunes? Otherwise his iPhone just says it won't activate...

Or any other ideas would be great too.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
The UDID is printed on the sim tray, isn't it?

Otherwise, the only otherplace I can think to look is in the About section in Settings (but that won't help on a bricked iPhone).

ptsube

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Seems like trying to install the 3.0 software and test one of my new apps with one of my beta testers ended up bricking his iPhone... we're trying to figure out what might be wrong, I think it might be something with his UDID in the program portal so is there any way to get the UDID without the assistance of iTunes? Otherwise his iPhone just says it won't activate...

Or any other ideas would be great too.

Install SDK 3.0, then start up xCode, select the phone on the left pane and it will give you the UDID.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
System profiler.... USB.....iPhone.....use the serial number
This is the one that worked, and thankfully we were able to fix this.

It was scary there for a minute. There were no options to restore to 2.2.1 or anything...

miniz98

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
hey where do i do this im having the same prob i have no access to a mac.

Hey with pc i figured it out goto system information under settings, the goto components, then usb, the you will see the iphone connected that is the 40 digit hex number hope this helps for pc users!!

bri8

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
Find UDID with Apple's "iPhone Configuration Utility" for Enterprises

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/enterprise/

Install Apple's "iPhone Configuration Utility" (Windows or MAC) and it will display the UDID and allow you to export that data to a text file for easy copy & paste into your Apple Dev Portal.

This works especially great if you updated the iPhone to 3.0 before properly entering its UDID in the Dev Portal area...and saved tons of time and headaches!

Good luck!

thelordnyax

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
after long frantic searching, i found it!!

easiest place for me (hope this helps you) was the iphone backup
I'm running Windows, and my PowerBook broke :( can't use the SDK, or xCode...sucks

but the iphone backup is named "{UDID} - {date}"...
store on Vista at C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Apple COmputer\MobileSync\Backup\

made my day...after nearly bricking my phone ruined it >,<

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
You can download Ad Hoc Helper to the iphone and email it to yourself for future reference. Wouldn't have worked in this case though.

herbnhero

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
after long frantic searching, i found it!!

easiest place for me (hope this helps you) was the iphone backup
I'm running Windows, and my PowerBook broke :( can't use the SDK, or xCode...sucks

but the iphone backup is named "{UDID} - {date}"...
store on Vista at C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Apple COmputer\MobileSync\Backup\

made my day...after nearly bricking my phone ruined it >,<

anybody know if there is a way similar to this on the mac? i've been trying to find my udid number but i no longer have to phone.

hal2k2

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2010
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/enterprise/

Install Apple's "iPhone Configuration Utility" (Windows or MAC) and it will display the UDID and allow you to export that data to a text file for easy copy & paste into your Apple Dev Portal.

This works especially great if you updated the iPhone to 3.0 before properly entering its UDID in the Dev Portal area...and saved tons of time and headaches!

Good luck!

Worked GREAT thanks !!!!

krijama19

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
How to Get UDID from your PC

Recently I needed to get a UDID for a device I no longer had. This will work to answer the question below too. Start Menu-->Run (or search for win7) and type in regedit.

This will open the Registry Editor. Open the folder tree as follows: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB

There will be many folders that start with VID. open them all. The subfolders with a 40 digit code are iDevices. You will have one for each device that has ever connected to that computer. Try them all.

mysuperman

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
Recently I needed to get a UDID for a device I no longer had. This will work to answer the question below too. Start Menu-->Run (or search for win7) and type in regedit.

This will open the Registry Editor. Open the folder tree as follows: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB

There will be many folders that start with VID. open them all. The subfolders with a 40 digit code are iDevices. You will have one for each device that has ever connected to that computer. Try them all.

Damn man!! i couldnt thank you enough!!! its beeen dayss and weekks looking for this! thanks u made me my day lol,
take care :D:D:D

ZeemanN8878

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Seattle, WA
This is the one that worked, and thankfully we were able to fix this.

It was scary there for a minute. There were no options to restore to 2.2.1 or anything...

Bump!

It's different in lion, gotta find "About "This Mac" => "More Info..." THEN "USB" and serial number. worked like a charm!

sqrlgrl007

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
anybody know if there is a way similar to this on the mac? i've been trying to find my udid number but i no longer have to phone.

you can find it if you go to the utilities folder > console > from the drop down menu on the left expand "/private/var/log" and select the system.log that contains the activity for the date you had the device attached. you should know the date and approximate time the device was plugged in to make finding the UDID easier.

if you don't know the date/time go to HD>user name>library>preferences>com.apple.iPod.plist> then expand the devices from the drop down menu to display the info (all iPods/iPhones will be listed, so you'll need to know which one you need)

Last edited:

latsku

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
At least in Lion following Terminal command shows information including UDID about devices connected to Xcode.
Code:
defaults read com.apple.dt.Xcode DVTSavediPhoneDevices

NoahK17

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2009
Westeros
You can also download the app "UDID Tool" from the app store (free) and it will display your UDID on your iPhone.

Cheers!

rosenman

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
recently i needed to get a udid for a device i no longer had. This will work to answer the question below too. Start menu-->run (or search for win7) and type in regedit.

This will open the registry editor. Open the folder tree as follows: Hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\enum\usb

there will be many folders that start with vid. Open them all. The subfolders with a 40 digit code are idevices. You will have one for each device that has ever connected to that computer. Try them all.

thank you!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.