Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Yes - I know - FaceTime is "brand new"
But here's what I'd love to see happen in the future. Post your ideas as well...

- iChat compatibility
- Skype compatibility
- Other phones adopting the protocol to make it possible to talk to pretty much anyone regardless of phone type
- 3G connectivity
- 3 Way Video Chat

Sustainability

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
The only realistic possibility is maybe the iChat compatibility in the next few months.

Everything else won't happen for a long time/ever.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I don't think there will be a FaceTime 2.0 any time soon. Since FT is a protocol, it will just be implemented into other applications over time. iChat, Skype and other phones can implement it if they want to, and they may already be implementing it.

3G connectivity will come when AT&T decides how badly they want to rip off their customers this time.

3 way video chat would be more of a '2.0' feature.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Ever? I disagree

3G video chatting will happen in about 12-18 months.
As for other manufacturers taking advantage of the technology - we'll see. But I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. ESPECIALLY if 3G becomes a reality. Why? Because a) why re-invent the wheel and spend money on developing your own format while b) carriers can bill for usage.

KidStallyn

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008
I'm working on an XXX-Rated Sex Toy App called F**K Time. It's simple...there's a male 'appliance', and a female 'appliance'. The male wears his like a condom, and the female inserts hers well...You know where.....Both are connected to the 30 Pin doc connector, and use the front facing camera to complete their F' Time visual connection.

The accelerometer and new gyroscope of the iPhone 4 provide all of the movement data, and we send impulses to the appliances via the doc connector so that the users get the real feeling of intercourse.

It's made for couples who don't get to see each other much, and well.....Need that extra special touch.

The first version will feature a 'tethered' version. We intend to phase out the tethering sometime in the 1Q of 2011 when our Bluetooth appliance is released, giving our users an Intercourse Experience like non-other.

stlredbird

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2009
I'm working on an XXX-Rated Sex Toy App called F**K Time. It's simple...there's a male 'appliance', and a female 'appliance'. The male wears his like a condom, and the female inserts hers well...You know where.....Both are connected to the 30 Pin doc connector, and use the front facing camera to complete their F' Time visual connection.

The accelerometer and new gyroscope of the iPhone 4 provide all of the movement data, and we send impulses to the appliances via the doc connector so that the users get the real feeling of intercourse.

It's made for couples who don't get to see each other much, and well.....Need that extra special touch.

The first version will feature a 'tethered' version. We intend to phase out the tethering sometime in the 1Q of 2011 when our Bluetooth appliance is released, giving our users an Intercourse Experience like non-other.

I'm sure Apple will wave that one right through to the app store.

themadrussian

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010

Best app idea ever.

stlredbird

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2009

But will it be compatible with the iBrator?

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Ever? I disagree

3G video chatting will happen in about 12-18 months.
As for other manufacturers taking advantage of the technology - we'll see. But I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. ESPECIALLY if 3G becomes a reality. Why? Because a) why re-invent the wheel and spend money on developing your own format while b) carriers can bill for usage.

AT&T can't make phone calls for the last 4 years. You want them to do video chat on 3G within 12 - 18 months? I'll take that bet.

Downey92

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Well hopefully other phone/application developers will actually use Apples 'open' facetime standard as a standard and not be so stubborn and attempt to implement their own crap protocol. If they can all support it so it works with tons of devices then video calling will take off bigtime.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
3D FaceTime?

Will that be followed by "SmellTime" and "TasteTime"

That last one would be tricky to avoid getting those moisture stickers to not activate...

stu212

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
what your saying already happens in the UK like every single phone in the UK for the past 5 years has had video calling.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008

haha

Downey92

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
what your saying already happens in the UK like every single phone in the UK for the past 5 years has had video calling.

It just happens to be an absolute arse to set up, video is low quality and choppy and only tech geeks can actually be bothered to use it.

What I wish would happen is on any phone with front camera and the facetime 'standard' on it, then I could just hit the facetime button on a compatible contact and it'll 'just work'. This is the only way people will actually use it because it works with lots of devices, this will convince phone manufacturers to include higher quality front facing cameras in future phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.