Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
Does anyone know of a good stand which will hold the iPad in both the vertical and horizontal position? I can't seem to find a good one. The ones i can find are just vertical, how are people finding it? Is it enough to just have it vertical? It would be nice to know as these ones can charge as well.

Thanks in advance.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Google Skadoosh Stand for iPad. Getting some good reviews and currently at a promotional price for a limited time (apparently). Also look for Griffin A Frame for iPad - works in both horizontal and portrait modes.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
I have created an accessory tab on the spreadsheet for BAGS/CASES/SLEEVES...only made sense: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Av1TgV270uIadFd5VWh3MGR5bnV2TDFxRWFnV2p5eHc&hl=en

I tried an A frame at a store, for like a plate...even when I went to a 5x7, it was too wobbly.

For the house, I am currently using two 5x7 picture frames held together with a big band. Actually, it is three 5x7 frames...one of the original ones got cut down to make the level. I like it because it works in multiple positions, with the usb cord plugged in. The problem is that it is not portable.

Not all acrylic frames are created equal...some are too thin. I tried some I had around the house...and came up with some older, thicker (bends less). I have yet to make it Target to see what they have. I want something that will fold up and slide in my netbook bag.

Here is a link to a list of some acrylic frames:

http://www.google.com/search?q=5x7+...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

noleguide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
stand

the picture of it is crap, it is much nicer than it looks, but yes is like the stand at the store. I like it anyway, looks good on my desk

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
My homemade stand

This is what I have come up with so far...

original.jpg

Other pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/drewloker/IPad?authkey=Gv1sRgCLO9vLC1xMrRpAE#

I had several of the acrylic frames around the house. They are not all created equal...some are too thin.

So I ended up with the two sturdiest I had. As you might be able tell, I inverted one to be the front side. Inside of the open end that is facing downward, I took part of a third stand, which was actually a flimsy original I tried with, and I cut it down to make a little lip. I even notched the lip to allow for the plug to not be bent.

Because of the design of the incase grip, the lip was only kind of necessary as the grip and gravity kept the pad in place for the most part. But it would slide...and end up making contact with the USB cord.

The way the design works now, I can easily rotate from vertically, to horizontal, to fully inerted, and the pad fits perfectly.

Now if can just make 100k of them. I haven't been able to find this exact version of 5/7 acrylic frame. It is not like the bent acrylic that are more common. I actually tried several bent acrylic but they were all too flimsy and the wrong angle. This particular one is the type that will allow a photo to stand straight up.

I just wish it would be portable. I shopped several stores looking for something that would be ideal to carry around and be available for use. I loke my grip...and bag to carry it with...but it would be nice to have a portable stand.

I tried some a fram picture holders, but they were too flimsy.

Tonight, I came up wih an idea. I am going to use a slim DVD case...and attach a bar inside of it to keep it open at the eact right angle. I like the idea of the slim DVD case...very light, then enough, and can even be used to hold paper, etc. Now I just need to figure out a way to keep it open at that exact angle as you see in the last picture.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Very creative I like it

Thanks! (what happened to the ZooGue guy's response???)

I have thought about trimming one of the feet of the back off (the underside)...that would then give me two angles but still allow for an extened lip. But, as it is, I haven't ruined either straight up acrylic frame. I did just notice this morning that one of the sturdier ones open at the top...and the other at the bottom as I made another one for the kitchen...for when cooking, etc.

All kinds of options.

I see you have a pretty cool case. One thing I am curious about...not just with yours...but lots of others...why go all the way to the edge of the screen? Like, instead of have a 1" front bezel...why not make it 1/2"? This would allow better access to the edge of the screen...especially with something like SB settings that is accessed by sliding across the top edge...that could easily be on any side.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.