Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
I've had my iPad since 3G release day and overall love it... BUT I'm about ready to chuck it through the window over this wifi problem...

At home, on my airport extreme it is rock solid connection. But any other device I connect it to its just constant drop city... I normally use a sprint overdrive 4g hotspot... EVERY other device I hook up to the overdrive works great, but the iPad will drop every minute. Just composing this post to this point it has dropped the connection twice...

I've tried everything people have listed- static ip, no encryption, no auto brightness control, crank up the backlight... No effect.

When the HECK are they going to patch this KNOWN issue???? This is getting retarded. It is obviously software related, so what gives???? I could understand if maybe other apple products had a problem with connecting to the overdrive, indicating that maybe Apple implemented some fix to the spec that others haven't, but they don't.

I'm just getting very tired of waiting and dealing with this....

In the last 2 months I've spent over 5$k on apple equipment (64gb 3G iPad, new iphone4 and new 17" mbp loaded) and yet they can't seem to fix this issue. Makes me really wonder if I made good purchasing decisions.

PLEASE fix this crap!!! And they better not be thinkingn we are going to wait until November for iOS4 to do it!!! I'll have sold this iPad off LONG before that if I have to wait that long for a fix..

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Have you tried setting up a Genius appointment to see if there is something wrong and your iPad should be replaced? I know a few people using the Overdrive with no issues what so ever. So you may want to trade out for a new one.

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
Not yet... Given that it seems to be more a software than hardware issue I had figured I'd wait it out and see if they would release a patch... Plus with how crazy the stores have been between the ipad and iPhone releases I've tried to stay away from them...

Might just have to do it soon though, this is getting ridiculous.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I haven't had any problems. I suggest you talk to a Genius because I think you have a bum unit.

OneMorePlease

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2010
I was having the exact same problem, and tried all of the "fixes" online with no luck; changing security settings, etc. I finally discovered that my problem was not with the iPad, but with the Sprint Overdrive working with the iPad.

I went to the Overdrive website and discovered an update was available. I downloaded the update, installed it on the Overdrive, and I have had ZERO problems since. I'm using it right now, no drops, do continous asking for passwords, no problems. Maybe this will help you out. It was extremely frustrating for me. Good luck!

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
I was having the exact same problem, and tried all of the "fixes" online with no luck; changing security settings, etc. I finally discovered that my problem was not with the iPad, but with the Sprint Overdrive working with the iPad.

I went to the Overdrive website and discovered an update was available. I downloaded the update, installed it on the Overdrive, and I have had ZERO problems since. I'm using it right now, no drops, do continous asking for passwords, no problems. Maybe this will help you out. It was extremely frustrating for me. Good luck!

I've installed the overdrive firmware ttat was released earlier this month. Did it the other day in fact. Didn't really change anything...

Again, it's the iPad... If I use the wifi at any places like restaurants or anything like that, it drops constantly... ONLY the ipad seems to have problems with the overdrive and these other hotspots, the only place it doesn't have issues is when connected to my airport extreme at home.

I'll give it another week and then I'm going to call AppleCare. This is insane... I can't even send 2 Im messages back to back in IM+ most of the time without it dropping the connection...

heathpitts

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
I thought that I was having the WiFi problem yesterday on a hotel wireless connection. Turns out that I didn't know about an option under the wifi settings on the iPad. Apparently there is a selection to auto-connect to a network if it has a username/password. Without that, I would have to reconnect every time I put the iPad to sleep. Just posting this in case someone else missed this as well.

EldoInTheWeeds

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
I use Overdrive with my iPad and it works perfectly. I had to go into the Overdrive's advanced settings and change the Wifi security settings. I switched it from WEP to WAP (or vice versa--it's been a while). That fixed it.

iRance

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Retire,relax,enjoy your family.It's just a tablet.It's not worth it.

-Sent from my iPhone

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
I'm using the wpa2 personal Aes on the overdrive which is the most secure.

I just find it annoying that my iphone3g and iphone4 work perfectly with the overdrive like this, but the iPad throws and fit and drops the connection constantly.

aljlin

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
CA
Like others say, it doesn't hurt to bring it in/talk to Apple about your problem and see if they can isolate anything. They may have some diagnostics that can tell whether the wireless chip is having a problem or something... .

What makes you think it seem like a software issue? Couldn't some chip be malfunctioning which in turns affects the software? I haven't been keeping an eye on the issues with the ipad enough to really know the whole story. (All my friends who do have an ipad haven't had any problems to my knowledge.)

As it is under warranty it'd be good to go for service, yes it takes time, but you're spending just about the same amount of time diagnosing the problem you've been experiencing. Hopefully they can find something wrong and fix your problem.

fishepa

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2009
I don't have any wireless issues with my iPad aside from the one that delays it connecting to my wifi if the brightness is turned all the way down.

jasg49

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
We just got back from our first trip with an iPad and it worked flawlessly in several hotels, airports and the house we rented. I have yet to see a problem with wifi in a dozen or more different locations.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
If you decide to set up an appointment and take it in, I would recommend taking the overdrive with you. So if they give you a new one or do something that fixes the one you have you can test it with the overdrive before you leave.

dcsatt

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
I've installed the overdrive firmware ttat was released earlier this month. Did it the other day in fact. Didn't really change anything...

Again, it's the iPad... If I use the wifi at any places like restaurants or anything like that, it drops constantly... ONLY the ipad seems to have problems with the overdrive and these other hotspots, the only place it doesn't have issues is when connected to my airport extreme at home.

I'll give it another week and then I'm going to call AppleCare. This is insane... I can't even send 2 Im messages back to back in IM+ most of the time without it dropping the connection...

I had the Wi-Fi only version that I tried to use with the Overdrive.
The Overdrive was crap.
I was successful connecting to other MiFi devices, but the Overdrive always gave me sub-dial-up speeds and/or faulty connections (even with the Overdrive firmware update).
So, for me, it was the Overdrive, not the iPad.
I actually never understood the outrage over the "Wi-Fi issue." I never experienced problems anywhere or with any device other than the Overdrive.
I returned the Overdrive.
The Wi-Fi iPad is now the Family iPad, and I use a 3G full-time and rarely use the Wi-Fi unit, but, we're still experiencing problem free connections when we do.

deaffob

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
just out of a curiosity, are you connecting to WEP pw protected wifi network? if so, that's your problem. apple has already stated that majority of the wifi problem comes from the type of pw protection that wifi is using. change it to WPA or WPA2 and see if that fixes.

polsoler

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
i have the same problem! or worst!

my ipad works super fantastic at home, but at work (that's where i really need it) it shows that it has a connection but there is no connection at all, no mails, no safari, nothing works...I have no idea what is overdrive, but i wonder what's going on.

BigCatz

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2007
just out of a curiosity, are you connecting to WEP pw protected wifi network? if so, that's your problem.

Not necessarily. I use WEP (with an unbroadcasted SSID) and have had no issues. Never had an issue with my Touch connecting either.

IrishTiger

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I received my 64GB 3G on launch day, and have never had wifi issues on any network. Works flawlessly. I think you should seek a replacement.

Kibbe17

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
Not yet... Given that it seems to be more a software than hardware issue I had figured I'd wait it out and see if they would release a patch... Plus with how crazy the stores have been between the ipad and iPhone releases I've tried to stay away from them...

Might just have to do it soon though, this is getting ridiculous.

I'm in the exact same boat as you.. Except I had an iPad wifi before I changed my mind and swapped out for the 3G.. And the wifi iPad worked 100% fine. Now I'm having all sorts of wifi issues with this one and, like you, have been waiting for a fix.. A few days ago I finally called AppleCare and they sent a box to my house (I'm on vacation now) and I will send it away to them when i get home. Now though, I'm wondering would it be better to send it off and problably have them tell me it has no problem with it, because I'm guessing at the apple testing fascility's they have airport extremes.. Ooorrrr, just bring it to an apple store and see if they would swap it out on the spot.. Also if anyone's reading this, might you know if an apple store will swap out a jail broken iPad? or just try telling me I'm SOL.. (I plan on backing up and un - jailbreaking if I decide to send it..)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.