Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luminyx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I've been having an issue with 3G the past few days where it's not loading anything internet based. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just dies on me. It got worse today on my way home from work.

As I'm trying to load a web app that was working 10 minutes before, it tells me it's unable to connect. In my top left corner, my signal bars drop to 1, 3G entirely disappears (no Edge, no Wifi, just a blank), though AT&T is still present. Within 5 seconds, I'm back to "full bars" and "3G". EVERY time I'm trying to load something now (that needs the internet), this happens. It also happens randomly when I'm not doing anything (I assume because of Push and Fetch notifications).

Note: My mom's iPhone 3GS (updated to iOS4) is right next to mine right now. She has 5 bars and 3G. Her internet works. Mine does not. I have video proof if it's really needed. I am on the phone with Apple right now, and the guy has only advised me to turn on and off Airplane mode, which did nothing. I am on hold as he's asking someone else for help. I thought this was initially a service (AT&T) problem, but my mom's internet is indeed loading while mine will not.

Testing internet again and it is suddenly starting to load the site for me. This is completely random. I haven't played with the settings at all.

EDIT:
Okay, it died again and some Data Roaming notification popped up. And now it's sorta loading again.

Eye4Desyn

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
U, S, and A
I've been having an issue with 3G the past few days where it's not loading anything internet based. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just dies on me. It got worse today on my way home from work.

As I'm trying to load a web app that was working 10 minutes before, it tells me it's unable to connect. In my top left corner, my signal bars drop to 1, 3G entirely disappears (no Edge, no Wifi, just a blank), though AT&T is still present. Within 5 seconds, I'm back to "full bars" and "3G". EVERY time I'm trying to load something now (that needs the internet), this happens. It also happens randomly when I'm not doing anything (I assume because of Push and Fetch notifications).

Note: My mom's iPhone 3GS (updated to iOS4) is right next to mine right now. She has 5 bars and 3G. Her internet works. Mine does not. I have video proof if it's really needed. I am on the phone with Apple right now, and the guy has only advised me to turn on and off Airplane mode, which did nothing. I am on hold as he's asking someone else for help. I thought this was initially a service (AT&T) problem, but my mom's internet is indeed loading while mine will not.

Testing internet again and it is suddenly starting to load the site for me. This is completely random. I haven't played with the settings at all.

EDIT:
Okay, it died again and some Data Roaming notification popped up. And now it's sorta loading again.

That's pretty crazy. Sorry you have to go through this. Why not just return to Apple for new hardware? I'm heading to Oregon this weekend and thought maybe I'll upgrade from my 3GS to iP4 (tax free)...but with all the issues I'm reading about lately...i'm wondering if I should just save my $$.

Luminyx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I'm now on the phone with AT&T and the representative I'm speaking to thinks it might be a Micro SIM card issue.

Luminyx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Sorry for the double post, but now I talked to a local Apple store representative. While the lady from AT&T said "it's probably a SIM card problem", the guy from Apple says "I don't think it's a SIM card problem". :mad: That doesn't help me at all.

I restarted my phone and it's better now. This means I've now restarted my phone 5-10 times in the past 3 days for my phone to "work", which I don't think is very normal. I was recommended to restore to factory settings but I choose not to do this option right now.

Is ANYONE else facing this problem? And do you think I could argue to get the data plan off my bill for this month?

Andru1313

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
I am ready to throw my phone out the window. My 3G/data issue is only getting worse. No clue what tondo or who to call about it.

Luminyx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Adding some photos:

Attachments

• photo(3).PNG
    photo(3).PNG
    998.7 KB · Views: 228
  • photo(4).PNG
    photo(4).PNG
    97.5 KB · Views: 176
  • photo(5).PNG
    photo(5).PNG
    182.1 KB · Views: 185
  • photo(6).PNG
    photo(6).PNG
    344.4 KB · Views: 158
  • photo(7).PNG
    photo(7).PNG
    307 KB · Views: 163

danz7785

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
iPhone 4 problem

Yesterday the 3g on my iphone 4 would not load at all, and I kept getting errors. I went to Apple and they gave me a new iphone, which didnt solve the problem, then they told me to go to at&t to get a new sim card and make sure that my data plan is activated. The data plan was activated and I got a new sim card the the problem was still there. I found out that the 2g or EDGE worked fine on my iphone 4 but 3g did not load at all or loaded slower than EDGE.
Today I went to a different at&t store and talked to a manager, who told me that I did not need to buy the iPhone, and made it sound like its my fault for having it. this is, IMO an AT&T issue not Apple the phone works and it works with wifi and EDGE just not what Im paying all the money for, 3g. I have had the original iphone and iphone 3gs and never had this issue before and when i said that to the ignorant at&t manager he said that its the phone then. It seems like everyone is passing the buck and not taking responsibility. The phone is working on 3g at my house right now, but at work and pretty much anywhere else it only works on EDGE. Is this happening to anyone else??

infosprt

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
That's pretty crazy. Sorry you have to go through this. Why not just return to Apple for new hardware? I'm heading to Oregon this weekend and thought maybe I'll upgrade from my 3GS to iP4 (tax free)...but with all the issues I'm reading about lately...i'm wondering if I should just save my $$.

California Sales Tax...

You might check with Walmart every day. I just scored two iPhones 4's at Walmart and they only charge sales tax on the price you pay and not the full price. Every other place I have checked charges sales tax on the unbundled price.

Today my local Southern California Walmart had 3 that came in around 10AM and they were gone by 10:30 AM

CrandonBaruso

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2010
I recently bought the Iphone 4 32 gig and I am having the same problem. I pay the full price each month for 3g, but the 3g does not work. The iphone can only access safari and other internet based apps when connected to wifi. I thought that it might be the case I have on my phone, but still had the problem after removing it. Does anyone know how to fix this problem???

OLIMAC75

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2011
3G issues

I have experienced many of these issues, where 3G just vanishes, and my phone shows "SEARCHING"... i find that at times like these I just go and turn of 3G, and all of a sudden it works. I'm really not liking ATT. Their 3G coverage is spotty at best...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.