Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Why is everybody so hysterical? Apple is selling more Macs than ever and is clearly working on OS 10.7. So no reason to expect the Mac line to be suddenly discontinued. We have to get used to the fact that hardware for us pro's is starting to become a smaller niche. Mac Pro's are only built for us professionals and no longer have a wider user base under consumers. Average users used to like a Powermac G4 to edit with iMovie for instance. Now you can edit with iMovie even on your phone. That isn't so much anybody's decision as it is the logical result of the way the technology and the market have developed. That won't mean Mac Pro's will be discontinued but it might cause prices to go up.

It doesn't make me stop wondering though why the Mac Pro's aren't updated. I mailed Steve about it today. Let's see if I get an answer.

By the way: Bluray or a redesigned case are things I couldn't care less about in an update. I just need more speed. Way more speed.

Thanks for the heads-up from Apple. I knew it would be only a matter of time before a shill posted the usual "'they're' working on it" baloney and the even more ludicrous "You can edit a movie on your iPhone."

Yeah, and you can also hammer nails with it. Far more successfully. And from what I hear from the new iPhone's failure, (I'd never buy one) it makes a better hammer than phone, too.

As far as price, price is not the object. Just make your supposed flagship computers cutting edge ahead of everyone else for a change, and they will automatically be worth the premium.

You intimate that the problem is procrastination and not dereliction. I sure hope so for Apple's sake, because procrastination IS passive-aggressive dereliction certainly done clandestinely and sometimes, consciously and purposely.

I don't doubt for a single second that ANY pro user out there would have done a better job at updating the line keeping current and even ahead of trends than whomever is in charge now.

:apple:

maerose

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2008
camden london
Mac Pro

I think we are seeing the end of the line for the MacPro. When you take an objective look at the direction of Apple it is almost a no brainer. The imac hac taken up some Pro areas (even the Macbook Pro), the direction of the company is consumer, the Pro area of apple mac is diminishing by the year. Steve Jobs does not dwell on the emotive. If he sees no further use for something - end of.
Ideally the MacPro section should be given to another company to produce if apple are not interested, but we know that will never happen. The lack of comment from Apple on the future of the MacPro is a big indicator, we are watching the slow death, they are allowing people to get used to the idea.
I don't want this but who does, except Apple

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I think we are seeing the end of the line for the MacPro. When you take an objective look at the direction of Apple it is almost a no brainer. The imac hac taken up some Pro areas (even the Macbook Pro), the direction of the company is consumer, the Pro area of apple mac is diminishing by the year. Steve Jobs does not dwell on the emotive. If he sees no further use for something - end of.
Ideally the MacPro section should be given to another company to produce if apple are not interested, but we know that will never happen. The lack of comment from Apple on the future of the MacPro is a big indicator, we are watching the slow death, they are allowing people to get used to the idea.
I don't want this but who does, except Apple

I kind of agree, but not sure how long this will take. 2-3 years with maybe 1 or max 2 more updates? I personally think that if and when it does go, Apple could make some big bucks licensing out OSX for certain PC's. Probably never happen, but it should. Maybe if they keep moving to the mobile side, it could eventually be hard for them to overlook that huge market potential of OSX sales.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I don't doubt for a single second that ANY pro user out there would have done a better job at updating the line keeping current and even ahead of trends than whomever is in charge now.

:apple:

Thank you! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.