Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ej3ffrey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
I was just wondering because I might do that with mine for now.

db2431

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
I was just wondering because I might do that with mine for now.

If you are in the uk then Orange,O2 and Tesco arnt selling the payg handsets yet but you can buy sim free from apple and just get hold ofa payg sim and do it that way.If you are in USA then pick up a uunlocked iphone off ebay.

Bunkergoo

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
I'd like to know this as well. I've heard that you can just put in your at&t pay as you go sim card into the iphone 4 and it'll work. You might need to cut down the sim card so that it fits into the microsim slot though.

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
If you are from uk giffgaff are the cheapest payg network by far. They are offering free data until October too.

tekniklyrawly

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
YES. Yes it does

Yes it does, I can confirm. I am an iPhone 1st. 3G , 3GS and iphone4 owner on t-mo.
So I bought my ip4 and thought I'd wait for JB & unlock
But then I wanted to try out my ip4
After a couple of tries I finally got pay as you go to work on my iphone4 bought on the very first day at the non-commitment price
I will tell you how
FYI. Did not have to cut my sim, YES. MicroSim on payasugo

clovis112

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
yes you can use iPhone 4 as PAYG option. i'm actually on prepaid right now on my iPhone 4.

ej3ffrey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
so how did you do it? just go to an att store and bring the iphone with microsim in and they can activate it?

tekniklyrawly

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
non commitment iphone4???

i did mine over the AT&T pay as you go activation site
and enterd the simcard # of the microsim
and entered the imei of the iphone4 the one on the sim tray
it took 2 attempts the 3rd worked
the first two got hung up on "waiting to activate" screen
but third time was the charm
tested the call and B ingo worked

https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/
pick pay as you go ( on the right hand lower side)
enter your sim, imei, pick a plan ( i picked the simple plan $60 unlimited calls and text) did not add any data YET
using wi-fi
go try it ..... go.....NOW

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
i already have an iphone 4 and i'm in the US so i can't use anything but ATT for now.

If you signed a contract (got a subsidized iPhone) you'll have to break it and pay the ETF, then initiate the pay-as-you-go. If you bought if full retail ($599/699), you should be fine.

ej3ffrey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009

enter your sim, imei, pick a plan ( i picked the simple plan $60 unlimited calls and text) did not add any data YET
using wi-fi

i just tried it and i keep getting "GP104: The SIM number entered does not exist.Please check the number and enter it again." i'm still using the same microsim that was originally in the iphone. do i need to get a new one?

tekniklyrawly

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Martin, Looks like obviously you need to get a new one
Did you buy your ip4 non commit?
Or was it an upgrade?

ej3ffrey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Martin, Looks like obviously you need to get a new one
Did you buy your ip4 non commit?
Or was it an upgrade?

i used my friends upgrade to get the phone so it used to be activated with her number. but she switched back to her old phone. i still have the microsim tho and that's what i used to try to get the payg but it says that i was already activated. so i can't get passed the "sim number" part of online activation.

Carlos E

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
NYC

using wi-fi

I have an activated pay go SIM with unlimited data. Will it allow me to transfer my account to a micro SIM? Or should I just try and cut it down and place it in an iPhone 4.

Carlos E

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
NYC
yes you can use iPhone 4 as PAYG option. i'm actually on prepaid right now on my iPhone 4.
How did you get a Micro SIM card prepaid? Did you cut down your go phone SIM and insert it in the iPhone 4? Or did AT&T allow you to transfer the prepaid account to a micro SIM?

clovis112

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
I cut the sim card to the size of the micro sim.
Just be careful if you go this route.

I dont think att transfers prepaid account from regular size
Sim to micro sim.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
If you are in the uk then Orange,O2 and Tesco arnt selling the payg handsets yet but you can buy sim free from apple and just get hold ofa payg sim and do it that way.If you are in USA then pick up a uunlocked iphone off ebay.

Orange do sell the iPhone PAYG, O2 will release it on PAYG soon, and Tesco haven't released any plans at all.

As far as I'm aware, all UK networks who carry the iPhone 4 will also have a PAYG option.

Carlos E

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
NYC
I cut the sim card to the size of the micro sim.
Just be careful if you go this route.

I dont think att transfers prepaid account from regular size
Sim to micro sim.
Did you buy a no contract iPhone 4? Did you have to change the APN to get data working?

I ordered a SIM cutter for $25 to make sure it's cut to size correctly. (I know too much for something I will use only once but I wanted to make sure I don't screw up my SIM card)

Here is a video of the Micro SIM cutter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zedkHEUA8b0&feature=player_embedded

clovis112

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Its an upgrade from a friend of mine. He activated the phone and took the
Microsim afterwards and i just cut the sim card.
You didnt have to pay that much amount for
Something thats one time use! I used my friends ipad sim and just traced it. Its a pain but the trick
Is to do it slowly.

I didnt try to use cell data. I actually turned cell data off in the settings menu coz it might accidentally eat my prepaid credits. Im always in or near a wifi connection so it doesnt bother me much.

The only thing i havent tried is facetime. I dont know if its gonna work on prepaid sim.

alejovh1

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2008
Those of you on AT&T, how much do you pay with unlimited data? Is there a pay as you go with minutes, text and data?
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.