Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
I've had iPhones since gen1. On my new iPhone 4 the screen keeps turning on while I am on the phone and my check activates speakerphone. Anyone else having this issue or maybe I'm having a problem with the light sensor. If I adjust the phone slightly the screen goes off again. Maybe I just need to get used to the new design but I wanted some input. Thanks.

don pianta

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
Cincinnati
when i upgraded to 4.0 on my 3gs the exact opposite thing happened to me... the screen would turn off and then would NOT turn back on unless i pressed the sleep/wake button multiple times

L934

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
I'm having the same issue, my ear keeps pressing the loud speaker its really troublesome, Hopefully an update for this annoying problem soon.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
This just happened to me yesterday. My face managed to mute my mother. Took a while to figure out what was going on; I thought it was just AT&T acting up. By the time I figured it out she had already hung up. Apple needs to work on this. And by work on this I mean find an IRL way to do this. I'd pay handsomely to be able to mute my mother on command.

Matutu

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
Im also really suffering from this :(. Think ill wait a few weeks and just exchange the phone for another lol hopefully with all these bugs sorted!

dtsolar

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
hang ups and muting

my iphone 4 periodically mutes calls and ends calls simply from my cheek touching the screen. this is obviously a software issue that needs a patch. as if the wonderful at&t service didn't have enough drop calls and reception problems...

kickpush

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
New York
Ditto here, it's really annoying - and now you when you press the lock button it hangs up the phone instead of locking the screen (why mess with a good thing?). I love my iPhone 4 but I'm slowly becoming irritated....

and no i don't want to use my headset.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
Try removing your screen protector if yiu have one, I was having this problem but it went away once I removed the screen protector, seems it must have been interfeiring with the proximity sensor

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
i had this issue one of the first few nights that i had my phone (got my phone on the 29th) and today the 2nd i had my cheek hit the speaker button...and i was annoyed by this also, and i think it would drain more battery if the screen is on, and then i have used my phone a few times later today and it seems to a hit or miss thing.

if i was to take the phone back to the apple store are they going to give me a brand new phone or what?

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
i had this issue one of the first few nights that i had my phone (got my phone on the 29th) and today the 2nd i had my cheek hit the speaker button...and i was annoyed by this also, and i think it would drain more battery if the screen is on, and then i have used my phone a few times later today and it seems to a hit or miss thing.

if i was to take the phone back to the apple store are they going to give me a brand new phone or what?

Probably, but even if it is refurbished, it's better than new (IMO).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.