Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
UK
I finally got my Powerbook last week and althoughthe screen was OK, the hard disk quiet and all of my CTO options were there, the keyboard was less than perfect.

Many of the keys on the bottom right of the keyboard were sticking, in addition there was a lot of "give" in the keyboard it was very spongy. The top right of the keybaord (Eject and Delete buttons) was a bit high and the bottom left Control key was also sticking. Finally there was a red blob on the +/= key. :confused:

Naturally I have had to send my Powerbook back to Apple(UK) to get the keyboard replaced.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had dodgy keyboards on their Powerbooks? Is this a common or rare fault.

Finally, its only gone this morning but I'm already missing it :( . I'm having to type this on my PC.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
I had some stickyness with the arrow keys on my Powerbook, but it's since gone away with use.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
It's seems pretty rare, as I've never heard of it. It won't be too long before you get your PB back hopefully. Maybe a few days. Good luck, hope that the replacement keyboard is great.
–Chase

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
UK
I was hoping it would get better!

Initially I was going to give it a week or so before I contacted Apple. However instead of getting better it got worse. :( More keys were being affected and it was becoming impossible to type more than a few words before the keyboard started to frustrate me. :mad:

In contrast, the 12" RevA Powerbook that I used to have had an excellent keyboard - rock solid and no sponginess or sticky keys. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Why did you sell the 12" to get the 15"?

I'm just curious because I think I may want to sell my 12" rev B and get the low end 15", but only if the battery life of the 15" improves during it's next update. I use my laptop on battery life a lot, unlike most people, so it DOES matter to me quite a bit.

Sorry for asking, but I'm now curious for someone's reasons for going the 15" route if they had the 12" recently. :)

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
UK
It was a bit slow

I had the 12" Rev A (867Mhz). I sold it mainly as I wasn't using it much because it was a bit slow at every day tasks (standby for people who think that their 12" Rev A is fast enough for them).

I did consider going for the newer Rev (C) 12", but I wanted a bigger screen as I had to use the 12" at home with a monitor to overcome the screen resolution (only 1024x768). I also wanted as much speed as possible in a Powerbook, although the processor is only a bit faster (1.33 vs 1.5) the BIG difference is in the graphics processor and Ram (64MB Nvide FX5200 vs 128MB Radeon Mob 9700), when are Apple going to stop crippling their lower end computers?

I also considered a 17" but after seeing all three pbooks together in an Apple store in Nottingham (thanks KRCS) I concluded that the 17" was too big for me (if I travelled a bit lesss I may have gone for it).

Don't get me wrong the portability of the 12" is far better then the 15" but because of speed and that bit more resolution I chose the 15".

Finally, I may end up getting a G5 desktop, in which case a 12" would be better for when I want to go portable but that is a good 8-12 months away - finances allowing. However by then G5 laptops or Dual core G4's might be out. Only Apple and Steve know.

I Hope this answers your question.

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
I've had EXACTLY the same problem. Out of the box my Powerbook had some keys sticky and badly responsive.

I took it to a Tech Centre, they saw it, replaced the keyboard and said it was fine. But when I started using it again the problem had merely become worse, with even more keys sticking. I simply haven't had time to take it back again, and a couple of months have passed. Thinking about what to do, would appreciate your feedback too.

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
UK
I'll keep you posted

I would definitely get the problem fixed sooner rather than later. It seems a rare problem as no-one else except you and me have had it.

As soon as my PowerBook gets back I'll test it out and see if it has been fixed.

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
UK
It's back

My Powerbook came back Wednesday 25th August (pretty quick turnaround - well done apple!). :)

I've had it back for 2 weeks now and I wanted to give the powerbook a week or so before I posted this message.

Apple replaced the keyboard. The replcacement is MUCH better, however some of the keys (?+F1 to F8) are sometimes slightly sticky. One key in particular (A) was VERY sticky, but this morning has fixed itself!? :confused:

I was only without the Powerbook for just under a week but the more I use the keyboard the better it gets. Maybe it needs "bedding in" a bit. However the first keyboard was definitely warped so I am glad that I got it replaced.

Coolvirus007

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2004
Tokyo
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I have gotten used to it but my option and left arrow keys are 'sticky'. I want to get the problem solved but just can't be bothered go through all the hassle. Keep us posted :) Maybe I will do the same if your keyboard is fixed.

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
UK
I'm sending it back again!!

In the continuing saga that is the keyboard problem on my Poerbook I finally gave in and rang Apple again. I spoke to a nice chappy in Tech Support in Ireland and he "escalated" it up to his supervisor as he was concerned that I still have a problem with the keyboard on my laptop (same problem different keys - 9,0,+/=, backspace, esc and F1 to F11).

So it is going back to Apple Repair UK and hopefully the third keyboard wont have any sticky keys. :eek:

We'll see.

P.S. i don't mind having the repair as everything else with the powerbook is OK, If I was to get a replacement I might receive a powerbook with different problems. ;)

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
This is why Apple should have kept the keyboard as a customer installable part on the new PowerBooks. I understand that if you have backlit keys it would be difficult, but the 12" does not offer this feature. This is definitely an advantage the titanium powerbook had over the newer aluminum models.

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
UK
Oh my god, wtf is going on!!!

Well, finally got my Powerbook today after it was on hold - awaiting part for nearly a week. I received it at work, so at lunch break I opened the box and got my Powerbook out.

As I started to test the keys, something didn't seem right, my heart sunk theyv'e only gone and fitted a German keyboard to my UK - British Powerbook. I couldn't beleive it, I was furious.

I rang apple and let them know how peeved I was, the poor bloke took a lot of flak from me. I kept my temper, didn't swear, or call him names just kept speaking with a firm voice - got my point across.

So yes youv'e guessed it. It's going back later this week, that'll be at least another week before it gets fixed. :(

I asked the guy at Tech Support to log this as a formal complaint; in addition I will be sending a letter to Apple Uk later this week. My biggest peeve is that PRINTED on the bottom of the repair sheet it says fully tested - what a load of hogwash! If it was tested I might have got the correct keyboard.

I won't go on the "that's it, I have had aenough so good bye Apple" bandwagon as some people feel they must, Apple Support UK have dealt me a bum rap. But only Apple make Apple Mac's and when I have the Powerbook (with or without keyboard problems) it is a joy to use. :cool:

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
I think that apple UK should give Lincoln a hefty discount on his next apple buy due to rubbish service on this one. As i was saying to lincoln early on today , why not send it back and wait for the next PowerBook update as that has gotta be close now ! any one got any ideas when next update is ?

Tom

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
I know that Apple is really bad at compensating people in these instances. While in theory, Apple should send you an iPod or a Chirstmas Ham, you'll probably get a bunch of BS apologies. I truly hope Apple does something to compensate you for all of these issues.

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
liketom said:
As i was saying to lincoln early on today , why not send it back and wait for the next PowerBook update as that has gotta be close now ! any one got any ideas when next update is ?

That's not a bad idea, after being jerked with for a month why not put it off somehow and see if PB's are updated!

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
UK
Apple Repair UK think that I am German

The continuing saga of Chris and his 15" Al Powerbook......

Finally got my Powerbook back from Apple after 2 weeks and they fitted another German keyboard. I could not believe it. While I have no problems with our German friends I don't want a german keyboard on my Powerbook!!! :mad:

The Powerbook has now spent 2/3 of its life at Apple it is only 50 days old!

A very upset, angry, peed off me rang Apple Repair UK and had a little go at the poor technician at the other end. After giving him the case number he asked if I would like to speak to customer relations. I said "oh yeah!" (sorry to use your quote duffman!).

The customer relations guy was very nice and could not belive what had happened, he agreed that I had been badly treated. So he asked me for the order number for the Powerbook. He's odered me a brand new Powerbook, same spec BUT have 1GB Ram (instead of the 512MB that I have now), only downside is that I have to wait 10 days. I get to keep my current powerbook until such time as I am happy with the new one.

RESULT! :cool:

By the way, typing on a German layout keyboard with a UK keyboard mapping is a sure way to decrease yout typing speed.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Congrats! Enjoy your new PB... The ultimate tick off is when the new keyboard has the same problems as the original... :( Sorry... I had to bring it up. :cool:

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
UK
The end of the saga?

Got my replacement powerbook from Apple yesterday, same specs but with 1GB of RAM now (unfortunately installed as 2x 512MB, but you cannot heave everything). Its taken until now to get everything moved across.

The new one doesn't have any problems apart from a couple of "tacky" keys - definitely the best keyboard so far and in the correct layout (i.e. UK not German). These will eventually "bed-in" over time.

The good bit, is that with 1GB of RAM I now have a faster powerbook and can run all the stuff that I like without it slowing down to a crawl. It proves that Mac OSX loves memory and I was surprised in the difference in speed between 512MB and 1GB! :cool:

Just have to wait and see what I do with the old 15" Powerbook. Apple hasn't asked for it back (yet?) In fact when i spoke to the guy in customer service he didn't seem to be bothered about getting the older Powerbook back! :p

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Wow what a deal!! Sounds like it all worked out for you then?

Unfortunately my "saga" seems to be just beginning. :( I guess you just have to be persistent with these Customer Relations people. The guy didn't feel very sorry for me last time. "Only 1 keyboard replacement." How many replacements do I need before I get what I paid good money for? :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.