Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
I know the airport card can be installed aftermarket because they sell them in the apple store. However bluetooth is only built in if you order it from the factory apparently. Otherwise you need an external usb adapter. Only problem is I have a printer/camera/ipod/isight/USB stick So I actually use the three USB ports and the two firewire. Could somebody tell me if a USB splitter would work, since the ports are all so close together, and whether or not it would be obtrusive? Thanks.

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
You are going to need a hub anyway because ou don't include the keyboard or the mouse attached to that.

I would get Bluetooth built in.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Well, you can always get a cheap powered USB hub and plug all your stuff to it, and you still have 2 free USB ports.

But do you really need BT? What devices do you already own that uses BT?

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
pncc said:
You are going to need a hub anyway because ou don't include the keyboard or the mouse attached to that.

I would get Bluetooth built in.

I have the bluetooth keyboard and mouse :D :cool:

coconn06

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
King of Prussia, PA
kntgsp said:
I have the bluetooth keyboard and mouse :D :cool:

So if you have the bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but not the adapter? Otherwise, what was your original question really asking (i.e. why do you need a USB splitter or hub if you have bluetooth)?

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
coconn06 said:
So if you have the bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but not the adapter? Otherwise, what was your original question really asking (i.e. why do you need a USB splitter or hub if you have bluetooth)?

Ok yea that got a little jumbled here's what I was asking. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse so I need bluetooth. I have a camera (1 USB), iPod dock (1 firewire), Printer/scanner (1 USB), iSight (1 Firewire), and a USB keychain I use alot (1 USB). That takes up all the 3 USB and 2 Firewire ports. So I would have to order one with built in tooth, cuz otherwise if I used a bluetooth dongle I would need on extra USB slot. And I'm not sure whether USB splitters would fit on the back of the new iMac G5 because the ports are so close together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.