Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
If your like me, 2GB of data won't do each month but AT&T doesn't give you any other options. What if I told you there is a way to get unlimited data, whether you have a new account or an old account? Well there is and it's simple! This works and is great....

Here is what you need (See Picture Below):
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 2g
- micro SIM card from iPhone 4
- tape (I used electrical tape)

1. Take the micro SIM card out of your iPhone 4.
2. Take the SIM card out of your iPhone 2g.
3. Tape the micro SIM card into the iPhone 2g SIM tray, leaving 1/8" between the bottom and the left of the sim tray. Make sure you do not cover up any metal with the tape. And make sure the micro SIM card is facing the same direction the regular SIM card would be facing. (See Picture Below)
4. Place the SIM tray into the iPhone 2g. Activate it, as it will ask you to do.
5. When activating select the Unlimited option (for $20).
6. When activated, take the sim card out of the iPhone 2g and place it back into the iPhone 4.
7. ENJOY UNLIMITED DATA!

- Joe

Attachments

• iphone1.jpg
    iphone1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 382
  • iphone2.jpg
    iphone2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 382

SimplyS

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Can I do the same with an iphone 2g and an iphone 3g?
I sign up for a new account ( i don't have an account yet) with my iphone 2g and then switch the sim into my 3g. will that work?

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Isn't there a thread on this already?

Kind of - but it isnt a How to. Only people who happen to read that entire thread will understand what to do. I was trying to make it easier, trying to help people who were forced to take the 2GB data plan like I was. :)

- Joe

bibbz

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Is this legit?

And also, will it stay $20, or jump up to 30? I dont mind, just curious.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Can I do the same with an iphone 2g and an iphone 3g?
I sign up for a new account ( i don't have an account yet) with my iphone 2g and then switch the sim into my 3g. will that work?

Yes. You do the same thing except with a regular sim card. :)

- Joe

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Is this legit?

And also, will it stay $20, or jump up to 30? I dont mind, just curious.

Once it recognizes that the new phone has 3G capabilities you will get a text from AT&T saying that they upgraded your account to unlimited data for the 3G for $30/month.

- Joe

sootie

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
I think AT&T will check ur IMEI soon and keep tryna force you to upgrade to the 30 plan or even back to 25 2gb .... That's what they did when I tried to get the 20 edge plan on the 3G and when I tried on the 3GS they wouldn't let me use mms until I upgraded

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
I think AT&T will check ur IMEI soon and keep tryna force you to upgrade to the 30 plan or even back to 25 2gb .... That's what they did when I tried to get the 20 edge plan on the 3G and when I tried on the 3GS they wouldn't let me use mms until I upgraded

They can't force you to the 2GB monthly cap. They are allowing unlimited data on 2g iPhones and are allowing people to keep it if they have it. They can force you to pay for the 3G service though, which is where the $30 a month comes from instead of the $20.

- Joe

SimplyS

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
When i sign up for service should I sign up with my 3g iphone or 2g? or it doesn't matter.

Surrix

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
This quote is true.

However, even though they won't let you keep the $20 plan, I bet this trick will work for getting an unlimited account on a new plan, although it'd cost $30 after they switch you.

Ghostmayne

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
good job making it an official "how to." I didn't think the 7 pages in the other thread was enough for the real dense people.

Psant

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Cool. I would totally do this if I wasn't already grandfathered in with my unlimited plan.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Cool. I would totally do this if I wasn't already grandfathered in with my unlimited plan.

Yea... unfortunately for me I opened my AT&T account on June 25th, so I had to do this to get unlimited data. Works great though! LOL

- Joe

8mpg

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
What is going ot happen when ATT figures this out. Id love to do this, I havent had an Iphone before but I sure would like to do this.

Would this work with a 3g phone? I can get a 3g from my friend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.