Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infosprt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
I have been noticing some iPhone requests coming in from Japan.

iPhone in USA User Agent String....
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3

Whereas an iPhone in Japan reports...
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; ja-jp) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A100a Safari/419.3

I thought there was only one version out there, the one sold in the USA. Do they sell Japanese iPhones in the US? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Most likely your seeing the Japanese localized version of an iPod Touch (it uses the same base software as the iPhone and even calls itself an iPhone on certain alerts in error. In this case they both use Mobile Safari that identifies itself as an iPhone regardless - so that pages that are written for the iPhone also work on the iPod Touch, which Im guessing is running an updated version of Safari that iPhone's do not have yet.)

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
No, I don't think so.

I see many, many iPod user agent strings from Japan.

Well seeing that every iPod Touch has a localized Japanese version were as none of the iPhones for sale do, I highly doubt its from the iPhones that have been shown to the Press that have localized versions on them. Add to that your link to a Japanese translator on your site...

Okay I did a little searching and it must be someone spoofing a user agent or an iPhone....

iPod Touch
Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A100a Safari/419.3

iPhone
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3

(Maybe someone at Apple is checking the new software on your site ? Notice that the Touch has the 3A100a aswell as the iPhone you are seeing)

infosprt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
OK. The translation thing is different though. The little translation flags don't show on the iPhone just desktop/laptop browsers.

I appreciate your ideas though. I am new to the Apple world.

BTW: My vote is for the iPhone as the invention of the year!

CheapWebHosting

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
It has something to do with its settings. The iPhone's settings for a certain country, so that means, for Japan, you would really see texts/settings that denotes japan. This is the same thing for other regions/ countries too.

Cheap Web Hosting

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.