Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
Today I've noticed that my iPhone 3GS will connect to my home wi-fi but only uses my 3G connection. In my wi-fi settings it says that I am connected to my network with a strong connection, however my network connection icon at the top says "3G" rather than the wifi icon, a speed test app shows that my connection is a lot slower then it should be with a wifi connection, and my apple remote app tells me I can't use it because I need to be connected to a wifi connection (which is just a log way of saying I know I'm definately not connected, an yet my wifi settings say I am). Is this a problem with my iPhone or router? I've tried resetting my network settings and restoring my iPhone with no luck...

yentrog31

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2009
RGGnDFW
Today I've noticed that my iPhone 3GS will connect to my home wi-fi but only uses my 3G connection. In my wi-fi settings it says that I am connected to my network with a strong connection, however my network connection icon at the top says "3G" rather than the wifi icon, a speed test app shows that my connection is a lot slower then it should be with a wifi connection, and my apple remote app tells me I can't use it because I need to be connected to a wifi connection (which is just a log way of saying I know I'm definately not connected, an yet my wifi settings say I am). Is this a problem with my iPhone or router? I've tried resetting my network settings and restoring my iPhone with no luck...

jailbroke?...FW?

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
Turning 3G off just makes it use 2G instead, and I don't know what FW means but it's not jailbroken.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Put your phone into airplane mode then turn the wifi off this will force the wifi connection. If it still fails to connect do a full restore. If u still have an issue go back to apple for a new phone.

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
I have this same problem. It turns out it is a router issue for me. Try power cycling your router and see if your phone connects to the router. If it does, probably means its something up with your router. If not, then sorry, I don't have the answer.

It's not a Netgear router is it? That's what I have and I've seen a lot of talk on forums with people connecting their iPhones to Netgear routers. My phone will connect to it, but I leave the house for work. When I come back from work, it won't connect. But all my computers in the house stay connected the whole time. It has something to do with the router now allowing access to the IP once it has connected and then left. Weird. Still trying to work with Netgear on the problem. My Palm Pre does the exact same thing along with the laptop I have to take with my every once in awhile. Not sure if it happens to other routers as well.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
Okay guys, my iPhone connects perfectly to my work's wi-fi so it turns out it was my router after all. My flatmates and I have only ever connected to it using ethernet so we didn't know it has ****** wireless performance - and yeah, it's a Netgear. New Netcomm router is already in the post :) thanks for you help!

Khechog

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
Matt T - could you please post & let us know if your new router solves the problem - I'm having the same problem with a Netgear router over in the UK but don't want to splash out on a new one until I know it's going to fix the problem. Thanks very much & merry Christmas!

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
Hi Khecho - we haven't actually gotten around to buying a new router yet and we're still having the same wireless problems. However my iPhone still works flawlessly with my work's wireless network (which uses a Netcomm modem) so I would assume that buying a non-Netgear router would solve your issues. I've heard that Netgear routers generally have wireless issues with Apple products anyway - for interests sake I tried connecting to our network wirelessly with my iMac and although it connected initially, it had frequent dropouts. So yeah, I would really recommend replacing your router :) Merry Christmas to you to!

Khechog

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
Hi Matt, I just fixed this problem. A techy friend suggested I check the Router was using 802.11g as opposed to 802.11n as the iPhone uses the former standard. In the router interface there was a dialogue uner 'wireless settings' which gave several options including 'g & b' or 'g only'. I clicked 'g only' and things started working. As part of fixing various connection issues I also allocated a static ip address to the phone, don't know if this aided things also.

I hope you have similar luck.

Best wishes,

Khechog

atarashiihikari

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
I'm having the same problem!!! :eek: Says I'm connected to Wifi in settings, but no wifi icon - just 3G. And it is a Netgear router talking to an iPhone 3GS running OS4! Grrr... You will notice you can no longer see your iPhones IP address in settings> wifi >DHCP. Just power cycle your Netgear and the wifi connection will restore automatically. But then it drops out again 2 min later!!!!!! Seriously, WTF? Netgear, give us a firmware upgrade or a refund please! Or Apple perhaps it is OS 4 ???

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
Hi atarashiihikar - my problem was definately the router, and I doubt iOS 4 is your problem. I'm just guessing that though - did you have any problems before you updated your iPhone? I am now using a Netcomm router and have had no problems whatsoever. I don't know what the problem with Netgear is, but they're the only brand of router I've ever experienced issues with, and I've had a fair few different routers over the years... If you can, I would highly recommend you consider getting a Netcomm. :)

cdodsworth

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
I logged this issue yesterday and no-one was able to help until I saw your post

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/960301/

So it seems that my AP number 3 is also Netgear and that may be the issue. Oddly enough the iphone 3G I have links and stays on this netgear leading me to think it is an issue with Netgear and iphone 4

W4rlock

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
I'm getting the same thing happening to me. It's only been in the last couple days (got this 4g two weeks ago today) and before that it was connecting fine. I'm literally sitting here with the phone three feet from the router, my wifi settings show I'm connected just fine, but it's still using the 3G over my wifi, and eating up my usage.

My router is the generic at&T-stamped 4wire DSL router, and AFAIK, *nothing* has changed between now and before. It's just stopped using the wifi here for (AFAIK) no reason. (I even checked all the above problems, nothing applies..)

Mikethelion77

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012
This is how to solve it

I had the same problem today and solve it in the following way:

In the WIFI settings menu:
- To join the other networks: Tap "other"
- Type the network name "again"
- Check key type (probably WEP or whatever your case may be)
- Type the password

iPhone now will try all over again, to join the network. And it solves the problem in my case! :-D

Best of Luck!

Cheers,
Mikethelion77

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.