Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cinvhetin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
I've seen threads where people speculate about the upcoming Apple event, and what it would bring.

What I want to ask, is what the next event would bring. 2011 marks the 10th anniversary of the iPod.

As far as I know, the iPod Classic line has been losing market share. I was wondering, do you think it can survive until it's 10th year? I'm holding out and hoping that Apple would do something big with it come 2011, but I'm afraid that Apple would only care about making the most money as opposed to having a place in their hearts for the device which brought them success.

Judging by the way things are going (from dropping the signature white, to replacing the Classic with the Touch as the flagship model, to having only minute upgrades with each new generation), I fear the worst.

What are your thoughts? Will the Classic live long enough to celebrate it's 10th birthday?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Apple let the Mac's 25th anniversary slide without any fanfare. I think they sent out a press release...

So, I don't expect much if any acknowledgement about the 10th anniversary of the iPod, let alone any special edition iPod.

Will the classic last that long? If the iPod touch gets 128GB this September, I think the classic will be dead and the touch will take its throne as the flagship "iPod" (drop "Touch" from the name).

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I've always thought it'd be a matter of time before Apple did some "spring cleaning" and axed the classic, if not the shuffle, from the product line. Then you'd have the Nano at the low-end ($99, $79 if we're lucky), and the touch for everything else.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Not sure if there's any way to say whether or not they'll kill it this time around. But I think it IS safe to say that if it's part of the 2010 lineup, it will be exactly the same device we got in 2009. Any changes/upgrades to design, drive type, or anything would have required R&D, and overhauls to the manufacturing line, all of which costs a lot of money, money I doubt Apple would be pouring into the Classic at this point.

They might just weigh out if the numbers of units they are moving justify the manufacturing and raw material costs they take on making the Classic. As long as the end result is a significant enough number in the black, we'll keep seeing the Classic.

Right now, there is a segment of the iPod buying population who's needs are only met by the Classic. Even when the Touch hits 128GB (whether this year or next), it's high price will STILL make the Classic the obvious choice for some people, so we'll see. That's why I think even a price drop on the Classic is unlikely, as that would just provide new buyers with one more reason to choose a Classic over a Touch.
Imagine looking at a $199 price point and deciding between an 8GB or 16GB Touch, or a 160GB Classic. Assuming the potential buyer MOSTLY wants the iPod for Music/media, he's going to have a hard time convincing himself, that getting at least 10 times the storage space isn't worth giving up playing with a toy piano or a pretend Zippo lighter on his iPod. I know these are silly example of apps, but there are a LOT of these. A large percentage of it could be sorted into the "time killer" category.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.