Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtaylor8683

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Can anybody tell me why? Audio is AAC, Video is H.264 @ 30 fps...

When I plug in the camera connection kit, it sees the video with a little movie icon, but when I import it, nothing. A blank icon that doesnt do anything.

This doesn't make any sense. I was hoping to use the iPad in the field so I could check the video from my Go Pro Camera since it doesnt have a view finder...

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I almost responded because of the 30 fps, but that's the reason the Apple TV can't import. I'm sorry I can't answer your question but that is a cool set up. I would love to get a Go Pro sometime for my motorcycle. Hope you get it to work.

RockettMan

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
iPad and GoPro

I am in the same boat! Using the iPad for download would be soooo much better than dragging a laptop around. Plus you could check your angles, etc.

I will continue to search for a solution. Let me know if you find one.

Cheers,
Rik

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Does it let you even see there are videos? For my Flip Video Ultra HD it tells me that it draws too much power. However if it is connected to a powered USB hub and then connected it shows them. and shows a frame, until I import it in.

RockettMan

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
You can...

You can off load it to the iPad and later when you connect to your laptop you can watch what you recorded. Not what we want, but it's something. At least you can clear up memory. However, it probably just makes more sense to have more cards with you.

Anyway, I can't find any app that will allow you to watch MP4 off of this SOB for the iPad.

epate

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
From the iPad specs:

MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second

So it looks like only mode "r1" (wvga @ 60fps) will work. At least that's all that I could get to play.

Hope this helps.
Emmett

MacVDS

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Philomath Oregeon
From the iPad specs:

MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second

So it looks like only mode "r1" (wvga @ 60fps) will work. At least that's all that I could get to play.

Hope this helps.
Emmett

Yeah, if you shoot the video in the 848x480 mode it will import and play via the camera connector. You can use Air Video to convert the other modes then sync them to the iPad via iTunes. What I'm a little fuzzy on is why the iPad will import my Casio's HD video 1280x720 mjpg in AVI containers via the camera connector and it plays just fine, but it won't import the GoPro's 1280x720 mp4 files and play them. You'd think Apples video format would be the most compatible. What am I missing here???

CoolAppSeeker

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2010
Gopro HD Videos Test

First of all, GoPro HD videos are amazing! So I quickly experimented with the iPad, here is what I found, hopefully help:

1. For r2 setting, 30fps 720p, it will be imported via camera connector as MP4 file, but cannot be played. It should be a very minor issue and iPad next iOS version should fix it. Why? Read on..
2. I imported from iTunes by copying files directly to an app that support MP4 files. It works instantly. However, you must connect it via iTunes. No big deal as most people would want to connect to iTunes anyway. For travel purpose, i am using the MacBook Air, works like a charm.
3. But we all know that iPad's resolution is only 1024x768, why overkill with the large file? iPad is amazing to scale any videos in lower resolution to full screen in almost the original quality. The point is to SAVE spaces. How? just use QuickTime Pro, Command+E, use Apple TV encoding, and you will get the HD quality on your iPad. I imported to a video slideshow app and all my Gopro HD videos are categorized beautifully. I am taking it to a tradeshow to show off. Will get tons of WOWs.

Good luck to your all. iPad and Gopro HD is a winning combination. I am a developer and will come up with tons of use of its incredible videos!!!:)

Last edited:

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Have you tried opening the file in GoodReader?

Or any other application that has a pseudo-file management?

I think I recall that was how we managed to playback Canon EOS 5D Mark II 1080p H.264 content.

bwright12

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2010
Fingers crossed that there's a solution! I was so choked when I couldn't get the video off of the Go Pro's SD card with the camera connect!

Who do we harass at Apple to get this going!? haha

CapnJolly

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
any updates???

Anyone have any updated suggestions how to make the GO PRO video easy to play on iPad?? seems this would be a killer app!!

DannyC

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
Works for me

I have an iPad2 and the camera connection kit. I use my GoPro HD on mode R2 for shooting and then upload direct to the iPad (videos appear in Photos) and play no problem. As per the OP I wanted to be able to look at footage in the field and this set up enables me to do just that.

Its worth mentioning that it only works for R2 and I have it set on PAL, apart from that everything is as standard.

Hope this helps.

CapnJolly

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
reply to DannyC

tried the R2 setting and I can play the video on the iPad, looks pretty good too. so that will do for now until they can figure out how to play 1080p on the iPad. thanks for the help DannyC

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I have an iPad2 and the camera connection kit. I use my GoPro HD on mode R2 for shooting and then upload direct to the iPad (videos appear in Photos) and play no problem. As per the OP I wanted to be able to look at footage in the field and this set up enables me to do just that.

Its worth mentioning that it only works for R2 and I have it set on PAL, apart from that everything is as standard.

Hope this helps.

Good to hear that the GoPro R2 video can be transfered to the ipad 2 and viewd, as i plan to get an ipad 2 soon. But i have a question for you...can the footage then be opened in imovie for the ipad and edited? Or do the clips not show up in the imovie footage window? Just curious. Thanks!

shewy

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
iPad imports - but no editing yet

I see the the iPad imports the videos correctly, and you can view them. However, they don't seem to show up in the 'videos' tab in iMovie(on iPad) for editing - I suspect the the format is not right for editing...

Dan

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
I see the the iPad imports the videos correctly, and you can view them. However, they don't seem to show up in the 'videos' tab in iMovie(on iPad) for editing - I suspect the the format is not right for editing...

Dan

Right. I believe you have to a conversion which will move the video into the camera roll and in a format that can be seen by iMovie. It does degrade the video quality though.

Dr99

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
My r3 720p/60 files imported fine. You need to view them in the pictures app, but they copy over and play fine.

I also verified I can FTP the imported files back to my server at home essentially giving me unlimited space.

somethingnorth

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011
Gopro import

What a long feed, My gopro video would always import via the camera connection kit while i was travelling recently then, i bought an LCD bakpak and it suddently stopped working. The video would import but the clip would not play in the photos application on my Ipad.

I then tried disconnecting the LCD bakpak and taking a clip without it attached, then when i went to import that footage it worked again!?

long story short, the clips would not work if i took them with the LCD bakpak attached, they did work when i took a clip without the LCD bakpak attached. Also, the footage was taken in the 720 60FPS mode cant remember which one that is but yeah:)

Spazyx

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2011
Does IOS 5 fix this issue with not being able to import HD footage from the Go Pro straight onto the iPad using the camera connection kit?

cplush

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
FLORIDA
Has anyone imported video from an iPhone 4s? I did yesterday and it would seem since this is 1080 30fps video it should work on a go pro. iPad2 importd th file and played it.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
NC
r3 works for me. I had the same problem when I tried r5 and there just isn't any need for 1080p anyway if you don't have the monitor to play it. I do but I don't play the files directly from my card on the panel at home (I make DVD's or upload to Vimeo).

I forgot where I asked why r5 would wouldn't work but was given an explanation. I forget what the explanation was though. Something like the processor if I remember couldn't play a 1080p file.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Can anybody tell me why? Audio is AAC, Video is H.264 @ 30 fps...

When I plug in the camera connection kit, it sees the video with a little movie icon, but when I import it, nothing. A blank icon that doesnt do anything.

This doesn't make any sense. I was hoping to use the iPad in the field so I could check the video from my Go Pro Camera since it doesnt have a view finder...
It seems that there are some severe limitations to what can and cant work on your iPad and it goes beyond specific file properties making the iPad unable to see things. The iPhone and Flip camera can import files into the iPad and iMovie, but my friends GoPro, most video/cameras, Flip clones etc can not. Even properly formatted/converted files sync'd to the iPad dont show up in iMovie so the iPad as a field media companion is extremely limited.

Hopefully this gets addressed some day because I'd love to replace my field Mac with an iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.