Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Tried searching the site but for some reason my iPhone isn't letting me type in the search bar.
Anyway I just got sent this link
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2010/07/04/app-store-hacked/
apparently the app store has been hacked? Just putting this put there so people know they may need to change their password etc.
It seems to only be effecting the US accounts.

I have no idea how reliable 'the next web' is. Maybe someone can confirm them for me.

lawrence32

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Tried searching the site but for some reason my iPhone isn't letting me type in the search bar.
Anyway I just got sent this link
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2010/07/04/app-store-hacked/
apparently the app store has been hacked? Just putting this put there so people know they may need to change their password etc.
It seems to only be effecting the US accounts.

I have no idea how reliable 'the next web' is. Maybe someone can confirm them for me.

my account was hacked a few months ago, they spent 200 dollars on some ****, I'm not sure what they bought. Wish I could check but the account was shut down by apple after the purchases.

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2009
my account was hacked a few months ago, they spent 200 dollars on some ****, I'm not sure what they bought. Wish I could check but the account was shut down by apple after the purchases.

Not a good idea to keep your credit card on file.

ArmyMirage

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
This happened to me a few months ago as well but it has been going on for much longer then most people realize. My particular case was $600 worth of iPad and iPhone apps. I do not even own an iPad so that was kinda strange. It took about two weeks but apple refunded everything and reenabled my account after wiping out any permissions tied to the account. It's an issue from their side obviously but I still changed all my info just to be safe.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Thank you so much for posting this. I just changed my password and deleted my debit card info off of iTunes.

No problem :D

You'd think Apple would lock down any security holes in something as widely used as iTunes, especially considering how they boast the most hack proof/virus free operation system. I know they are two completely different things but one being 'bad' reflects on the other.

This seems to be on the front page now.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/960064/

apparently it has been ongoing for sometime (although it may possible be getting worse) so I'm guesing the only thing you can do is have a strong password.

ArmyMirage

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
I get my app store reciepts e-mailed to me so I'm not worried about it.
This is how I caught my account compromization so quickly. Receiving 9 emails from apple at 3 in the morning kind of tipped me off. Luckily my bank caught the charges too and voided the card right away. It all worked out well in the end but anything involving identity theft or account compromises are big headaches.

Jazzandmetal?

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Virginia
This is how I caught my account compromization so quickly. Receiving 9 emails from apple at 3 in the morning kind of tipped me off. Luckily my bank caught the charges too and voided the card right away. It all worked out well in the end but anything involving identity theft or account compromises are big headaches.

I only got one email, but had 2 transactions on my online statement and one pending in iTunes because I had all charges from apple haulted.

hiitsmikee

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
This happend to me also, but i caught it early and was only charged 20 bucks on ipad apps. I dont even own an ipad lol. My friend on the other hand got charged 300 lol.

IT365247

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Apple Has A Security Problem

My account got hacked 6/25. My password was 11 characters, alphanumeric, no English words and only used for iTunes. Just 4 months old, never written and only entered when purchasing from the iPhone, itself. APPLE HAS A SECURITY PROBLEM. Bad guys charged $1.05, $34.99 and $69.98 before I noticed, all in one day. No email confirmation from iTunes. They used a hotmail address added to my account. Apple support? Non existent. Form letter responses only, stating the obvious... change your password and notify the bank.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Question:

The rest of you who were hacked, (thanks, IT365247) are your passwords just real words? (Like, "Daisy" and not "gU2d&3AS")

Just a yes/no would be helpful, thanks.

ArmyMirage

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
Question:

The rest of you who were hacked, (thanks, IT365247) are your passwords just real words? (Like, "Daisy" and not "gU2d&3AS")

Just a yes/no would be helpful, thanks.

At the time my password was 10 characters long and a mix of numbers and letters. Not something anyone would guess either, no words or obvious number combos (ie. social, birthday, phone, address, zip, etc).

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
This is why I only use iTunes gift cards. It's a PITA refilling the account but well worth the peace of mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.