Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akarmenia

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Melbourne

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
Coolers really are not necessary. Your MBP may indeed feel warm at times, depending on what you are doing, which is perfectly normal.

According to Apple, it technically is a notebook, not a laptop. Just keep it on a solid, wood surface. It works for me.

akarmenia

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Melbourne
If your MBP gets too hot, it will automatically shut itself down.

While I hope so too, it seems to me that if an external fan were to cool down the laptop it would take the pressure off the internal fans, which work at 4500rpm during games when the GPU is 75-85C.

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
While I hope so too, it seems to me that if an external fan were to cool down the laptop it would take the pressure off the internal fans, which work at 4500rpm during games when the GPU is 75-85C.

Then take a gander at smcFanControl, a useful (and free) little doodad that can increase/decrease fan speed whenever you need it.

akarmenia

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Melbourne
Then take a gander at smcFanControl, a useful (and free) little doodad that can increase/decrease fan speed whenever you need it.

Yeah, I heard about this neat tool. I was hoping to cool the computer without tweaking the fans (I'm assuming the laptop knows what it's doing with them more than me). I did however try a command line app and it is certainly a good idea, but win7 already boosts the fans up after the heat starts up.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I personally don't want to alter the fan speeds and let the computer work on the presetted intervals.

I am afraid speeding up the fans will lower their life span since I assume they only spin so many times during their life time.

akarmenia

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Melbourne
I personally don't want to alter the fan speeds and let the computer work on the presetted intervals.

I am afraid speeding up the fans will lower their life span since I assume they only spin so many times during their life time.

Yeah that's what I meant. It's the same with overclocking CPU/GPU. I noticed the fans never reach full speed even during intense use.

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
@OP

There are a few threads on here about coolers. Worth searching, try MRoogle.

IMHO coolers don't work well with Macs as you've spotted. Coolers are designed to push more air into bottom vents. Macs don't have any. Very little heat is dissipated through the base on a Mac, it nearly all comes out through the vent.

Worth getting more info before spending your $$$$$

Of course if you do get one and have a good experience, post it on here so we all know it works!

akarmenia

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Melbourne
@OP

There are a few threads on here about coolers. Worth searching, try MRoogle.

IMHO coolers don't work well with Macs as you've spotted. Coolers are designed to push more air into bottom vents. Macs don't have any. Very little heat is dissipated through the base on a Mac, it nearly all comes out through the vent.

Worth getting more info before spending your $$$$$

Of course if you do get one and have a good experience, post it on here so we all know it works!

Thanks for the tips Pax, I certainly will. I think I'll get the cool master u2 if anything. I can adjust the fan positions to the rear left of the laptop, where the heat is. But I agree having air inflow vents on the underside of the laptop would greatly aid the cooling process. I'll keep you guys posted!

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6612

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
The cooler won't help, the small one will obstruct the vents and the bigger one is useless since it's cooling the lower side that doesn't even have a hole

akarmenia

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Melbourne
Here are the results I got from playing Counter-strike Source in Windows 7:

Before CSS (Idle):
2e1ewbk.png

Starting CSS:
332uxeg.png

Highest Temp:
qmz01x.png

Fans kicking in:
k20fpg.png

In general there is an increase in temp of 40C for CPU/GPU, and generally the GPU is kept below 80C.

EDIT: For some reason, the above temperatures are incorrect... The real CPU readings are actually higher.

swl7

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I see why you want a laptop cooler. Some people just want it to be a little cooler (my hands get really hot when i'm playing games) so i recommend the zalman nc3000. based on where the fan is coming in, this new zalman product is actually pretty decent for the mbp's. it was released this june :)

i think I"m going to get it depending on if more reviews come in

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO

Don't worry about the life of the fans. i ran SMC fan control to boost my fans to 3600rpm at all times in my 1st gen MBP. I used it that way for over 4 years and never had an issue.

Plus, it only costs about $50 total to replace both fans from ifixit.com. And with the new unibody design, accessing and replacing fans takes all of 5 minutes.

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
When it gets really hot here in Socal I will get out the gel pack that I keep in the freezer. I stick it under the mbp and watch temps just plummet. Of course it only lasts for a while but it proves that more heat than one would expect moves through the base.

akarmenia

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Melbourne
Don't worry about the life of the fans. i ran SMC fan control to boost my fans to 3600rpm at all times in my 1st gen MBP. I used it that way for over 4 years and never had an issue.

Plus, it only costs about $50 total to replace both fans from ifixit.com. And with the new unibody design, accessing and replacing fans takes all of 5 minutes.

Thanks that's reassuring to know. I think that fans running at that speed are not too bad considering they can reach 6000rpm.

akarmenia

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Melbourne
MacBook Pro Temperature Benchmark

Hey guys,
I bought the Cooler Master Notepal U2 today and decided to do a benchmark test to see its effect. I ran my MacBook Pro i7 on Windows 7.

Here are the results while idle without the cooler:

Temperature:
2djxvlv.png

Fans:
o887mc.png

Stats:
2h3cz8y.png

Then I ran the test with 100% CPU without the cooler:

Temperature:
160quzd.png

Fans:
2gwxtmo.png

Stats:
2cgby8m.png

Things to note were that the CPU reached the maximum 105C, the fans increased slowly to reduce the temperature to a stable 90-100C.

Then I used the cooler and did the same test:

Temperature:
242hllg.png

Fans:
ev9yzk.png

Stats:
i6e9gm.png

As you can see in the temperature reading, there is hardly any difference with or without the cooler in regard to the internals. However, with the cooler on the fans did not reach the same speeds and reduced their speed to 2000rpm quicker when the test was over.

So overall the cooler keeps the laptop exterior cool and reduces the stress on the internal fans. The stand angle itself isn't too bad as I thought it would be, and I can type just fine. Please note that the tests duration may differ a minute or so when CPU is 100%, and I let the cooler test run a little longer after the test had ended to see how quickly the temperature would decrease. But it seems that the cooler doesn't do anything noticeable for the internals.

I placed the fans on the cooler in the hottest areas of the laptop (rear left).

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
A very useful and interesting post. It looks like the Core i7 displays exactly the same behaviour as previous Macs. My 2009 C2D 13" does exactly the same thing. I have discussed with other posters on here with various models and they mostly (all?) show the same thing.

The Intel datasheets more or less say "don't exceed 105 C; preferably design the system to sit at 95 C max". The CPU will throttle at 105 C to keep itself below this temperature. At 125 C it will shut down. I can't remember the exact wording. Apple seems to use these words exactly and has designed a cooling fan algorithm which allows the CPU to go right up to 105 C, but only for a couple of minutes, then the fans ramp up to bring it down to about 95 C.

I guess Apple's idea is that most high CPU loads are transient - no point in ramping the fans up as in most cases the CPU will go idle again very quickly.

I think that the temperature labelled "CPU" on your charts is the CPU heatsink. And again it shows exactly the same behaviour as other Macs I've seen:- at idle the CPU heatsink is about 5 C cooler than the CPU die; at full load it's about 25 C cooler than the CPU die. My C2D shows almost identical numbers.

There's some debate on these forums about whether Apple uses the heatsink temp or the CPU temp to control the fans. I'm firmly convinced it's the latter. The fact that all portable Macs seem to show this same 105 C / 95 C behaviour and it lines up exactly with the Intel specs is what convinces me.

Also there's some debate about the quality of Apple's thermal paste application. I don't know about its absolute quality, but its consistency from Mac to Mac is remarkable - the 5 C idle / 25 C full load temperature difference is very consistent from Mac to Mac.

I note also that you see a tiny bit of CPU throttling when the CPU is at max just before the fans kick in. This drives some Mac users to apoplexy. Apple's cooling algorithm isn't perfect, the CPU is having to do a tiny bit of internal housekeeping to keep its temperature safe. That's the first time I've seen it confirmed that this actually goes on. Of course it only happens for a minute or so, then the fans keep the CPU nice and cool

Your cooler does seem to have helped the fan a bit, it's running at 3500 vs 4000 in the two tests. Some difference, whether it's "worth" it I guess is a matter of personal preference.

Thanks again!

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Like I've said to many other people:

Your MacBook or MacBook Pro can take care of itself. Its designed to keep itself cool with no interfering from the user.

akarmenia

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Melbourne
A very useful and interesting post. It looks like the Core i7 displays exactly the same behaviour as previous Macs. My 2009 C2D 13" does exactly the same thing. I have discussed with other posters on here with various models and they mostly (all?) show the same thing.

The Intel datasheets more or less say "don't exceed 105 C; preferably design the system to sit at 95 C max". The CPU will throttle at 105 C to keep itself below this temperature. At 125 C it will shut down. I can't remember the exact wording. Apple seems to use these words exactly and has designed a cooling fan algorithm which allows the CPU to go right up to 105 C, but only for a couple of minutes, then the fans ramp up to bring it down to about 95 C.

I guess Apple's idea is that most high CPU loads are transient - no point in ramping the fans up as in most cases the CPU will go idle again very quickly.

I think that the temperature labelled "CPU" on your charts is the CPU heatsink. And again it shows exactly the same behaviour as other Macs I've seen:- at idle the CPU heatsink is about 5 C cooler than the CPU die; at full load it's about 25 C cooler than the CPU die. My C2D shows almost identical numbers.

There's some debate on these forums about whether Apple uses the heatsink temp or the CPU temp to control the fans. I'm firmly convinced it's the latter. The fact that all portable Macs seem to show this same 105 C / 95 C behaviour and it lines up exactly with the Intel specs is what convinces me.

Also there's some debate about the quality of Apple's thermal paste application. I don't know about its absolute quality, but its consistency from Mac to Mac is remarkable - the 5 C idle / 25 C full load temperature difference is very consistent from Mac to Mac.

I note also that you see a tiny bit of CPU throttling when the CPU is at max just before the fans kick in. This drives some Mac users to apoplexy. Apple's cooling algorithm isn't perfect, the CPU is having to do a tiny bit of internal housekeeping to keep its temperature safe. That's the first time I've seen it confirmed that this actually goes on. Of course it only happens for a minute or so, then the fans keep the CPU nice and cool

Your cooler does seem to have helped the fan a bit, it's running at 3500 vs 4000 in the two tests. Some difference, whether it's "worth" it I guess is a matter of personal preference.

Thanks again!

Wow Pax that was a very thorough and in-depth reply to my post. Thanks for all your interesting comments. It seems the laptop knows what it's doing more than it leads us to believe. I must say the only real benefit from the cooler is simply a cooler underside at the end of the day. But clearly that doesn't do much for the laptop. So the final verdict, at least with most coolers with similar designs to the u2, is that they do not lower internal temps.

nintapple

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2007
I've been through the entire process that you have.

Cooler
SMCFancontrol
Hardwood Desk
Laptop Elevation Devices

...All not the complete solution

If you feel like your computer is getting extraordinarily hot, the issue may be dust. I opened up my unibody MBP, easily removed clumps of dust, blew on the bits of dust everywhere, declogged the grill/vent full of dust you can only see after you open the computer... and BAM. 30-40 degrees farenheit cooler on idle. And much less noise even during heavy gaming or 3D rendering on OSX and Windows 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.