Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iWinnipegger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
Hi i'm looking for a FREE program to convert my .avi movies to .mp4 format for my iPod thanks. i know i could of searched but plx just help me out and give me the name of the FREE program i should use...

(i'm on a mac)

pmcmvp

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2009
im looking on ISquint and i cant find a program to download.

Im trying MPEG Stream but it cant convert it. Says theres an error?

grim103

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2009
USA
another good program would have been Switch. i use that sometimes, and MPEG Streamclip has a lot of errors for me to, plus it takes a long time, it does its job tho. :apple:

jasonbitesapple

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2010
muskego, wi
Yes, Quick Time does work. I use it on Snow Leopard, so that's X. But I have a boatload I need to do at once. I have 50 files! And it only gets higher. I need something that can do boatloads for free! Prism ran out -_-

j2gram

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Good Program To Convert .avi to .mp4

Easiest way on a Mac to do the conversion is with QuickTime Player; you don't need the Pro version.

Simply open the file in QT, then File/Save and, in the Format drop down (which defaults to Movie), choose
-iPhone (Cellular)
-iPhone
-iPod
-HD480p

and choose your destination.

My recollection is that my WinTel version of QT does NOT have that option but I'm running WinXP SP2 and can't load the newest version of Windows QT.

henry11

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2010
Handbrake is usually the first choice for easy video processing.
If that doesn't get you what you want then you can try AVI to MP4 Converter.
These are all easy to use.

Last edited:

domni

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
tried handbrake and it works perfectly for converting an .avi made by Matlab to .mp4 so that QuickTime can play it

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Unfortunately, HandBrake doesn't appear to have a "no recompression" option to simply copy the MPEG-4 video from one file format to another.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Unfortunately, HandBrake doesn't appear to have a "no recompression" option to simply copy the MPEG-4 video from one file format to another.

Yup, the lack of remuxing is one of the biggest problems of HandBrake. Nevertheless, we have a lot of excellent remuxers to choose from: Subler for MKV, iVI for MTS etc.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
Yeah, Handbrake is acutally pretty good. I wouldn't say it's the best converter I have ever used, but it rarely disappoints.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Is there one that does move MPEG-4 video from AVIs to MP4 files?

Avidemux2, XMedia Recode (the latter works just fine under CrossOver on OS X). I, generally, always try the first first and if it doesn't work, the second. The second is slower but is far more fault tolerant and supports a lot more input video stream formats (for example, MS-MPEG4 like the one in http://mirror.bigbuckbunny.de/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/big_buck_bunny_1080p_stereo.avi ) for simple remuxing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.